Developing allergy to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
amess

Re: Developing allergy to CPAP

Post by amess » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 pm

You may have vasomotor rhinitis like I do. That is a sensitivity to things like smells, cold air, warm air perfume and any other things. This (warm moist air) makes my nasal membranes swell and causes headaches. This mostly happens to people that already have some other allergy. I have every prescription spray there is and none help. Seeing the doc (pulmonologist) to see what can be done. Yes I already have an allergist for my many allergies like mold.

kell420

Post by kell420 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:58 pm

amess wrote:You may have vasomotor rhinitis like I do. That is a sensitivity to things like smells, cold air, warm air perfume and any other things. This (warm moist air) makes my nasal membranes swell and causes headaches. This mostly happens to people that already have some other allergy. I have every prescription spray there is and none help. Seeing the doc (pulmonologist) to see what can be done. Yes I already have an allergist for my many allergies like mold.

I don't have any known allergies and I don't have the problem during the day in fact I used the Cpap for over a year without any problem with the same mask this problem started up about 4 months ago.

skylark40

Post by skylark40 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
aspen wrote:Hold on. Actually increased stuffiness IS listed as an adverse effect of Afrin. It could be causing a problem.
Yes but normally if the issue is the Afrin it won't just come on out of the blue 10 minutes after putting the mask on.
And it won't go away when the mask gets removed.
Afrin congestion is there because the nasal mucosa have learned to only respond to the chemicals shrinking the mucosa to relieve the congestion. They want more drugs..like drug addicts.

What I described...had nothing to do with Afrin but I can see someone using Afrin thinking it might help and thus start a nasty little Afrin circle. They don't realize it is the tiniest of pressure on the turbinates causing the congestion.
I had it happen with the Wisp nasal mask...and it wasn't too tight. So even a teeny amount of pressure from a very light nasal cushion can cause it to happen to some people. Take the Wisp off and the congestion goes away in about a minute.
I knew what the problem was because I have had it happen with every mask I have ever tried that rested on the nasal bridge area.

So the OP might be having Afrin rebound but it could also have originally started simply from the congestion caused by the mask resting on the turbinates.

The key to knowing which is what...how soon the congestion comes on and how quickly it goes away without using chemicals.
My allergist called this "rebound congestion". As you said, using Afrin, Sinex, etc., for more than 3 days in a row causes nasal passages to swell if you stop using it. Switch to Nasacort or Flonase. Or, tough it out until your nose recovers.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:33 am

skylark40 wrote:My allergist called this "rebound congestion". As you said, using Afrin, Sinex, etc., for more than 3 days in a row causes nasal passages to swell if you stop using it. Switch to Nasacort or Flonase. Or, tough it out until your nose recovers.
What I was talking about doesn't involve chemicals..it involves anything causing pressure on the nasal turbinate area?

Were you pointing the "its rebound " comment at me?

It's not rebound if no chemicals are involved.

Last edited by Pugsy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 pm

As a tester I would test their hypothesis that it's the nose bridge pressure. Try it with your fingers as someone else suggested. If that's it I'd try the nasal pillows. At least personally I think they're fantastic. I've tried full nose masks and full face and for some reason I just feel much better with the nasal pillows.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:21 pm

I do not remember who first mentioned the finger pressure test, but I will be eternally grateful.