OT - Severe Sciatica - Update

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Madalot

OT - Severe Sciatica - Update

Post by Madalot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:45 am

Man, if I thought my sleep was disturbed before...

I'm hypothesizing that what is happening is sciatica, but I have not sought medical attention (yet). The problems started several weeks ago with muscle pain in my thigh. Aggravating, but not horrible.

About 5 days ago, I noticed the pain starting in my left, lower back, radiating down my butt, into my thigh, knee and sometimes foot. It would become excruciating at times, but would lessen within a minute or so and I could still function (slowly).

Let me interject something before I continue - I am 95% wheelchair bound due to a rare Muscular Dystrophy. The other 5% of the time I CAN and do walk with a rollator (walker with wheels so it can be pushed - I cannot lift a regular walker enough to use).

The pain has worsened over the last few days with certain movements causing EXCRUCIATING pain. For example, after sitting down in my wheelchair, the motion of trying to slide back fully into it would be very painful. But it would only last a few seconds and then I could move on.

Last night while laying/sitting in bed, my cats were after a bug on the floor. But they weren't catching it so I got up, grabbed a slipper and waited for the bug and when I saw him, tried to kill him, using my RIGHT foot in the slipper. But he wouldn't die so I bent down and kept trying to smash him. I finally did but when I tried to stand upright again? OMG - excruciating doesn't begin to cover the pain. I couldn't move at all. I couldn't put any weight at all on my left leg. After a minute or so, I could move, barely.

I finally got myself back into bed, but it wasn't easy and I was in tears (yes, it hurt that badly). When time came to go to sleep, I slowly sat up and put my legs over the side of the bed and reached for my mask - and there we went again. EXCRUCIATING pain from my lower back down my leg. I did manage to get my mask on, then turned on the Trilogy/Humidifier, but getting laid down took me forever. I finally fell asleep on my right side and slept a couple hours before waking up. Everything felt a bit better so I decided to try to turn over onto my left side. Good news is I made it, but the bad news was excruciating pain started again. Took me forever to get flipped back, but I finally did and dozed on/off the rest of the night.

Okay - now that we have the history - does anybody have any suggestions for alleviating this pain that I can do? Some of the stretching exercises I've seen online are not doable for me because of my physical limitations. Any suggestions, however, will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Madalot on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Re: OT - Severe Sciatica Help

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 am

You will get help first thing Monday??? You will won't you???

Lay flat on your back with a pillow propped under your knees.
It could be sciatic nerve being pinched from any number of things included herniated disc.

Aspirin or some sort of NSAID if your stomach will tolerate it. Not Tylenol though...you need the anti inflammatory fighting properties of aspirin or the NSAIDs.

Ice for 20 minutes then off for hour and repeat as needed...to the affected area which is probably around the L4-5 area and upper pelvic girdle.

Make plans to see a doctor or go to ER if the pain worsens and you can't tolerate it or if you have problems with bladder/bowel.

Avoid trying to exercise you way out of it at this time. Right now the nerve needs rest and no aggravation.
Bed rest...

Last edited by Pugsy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:01 am

Madie - you must see a doctor. That won't go away by itself and needs intervention. Horrible for you, and definitely needs addressing right away. If you want a more professional opinion and have any physiotherapist friends, do call, but don't wait. It's not something you can exercise away though... I suggest you Google sciatica for more info. Wish I could give you an easy answer, but... so sorry!
Last edited by Julie on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

amess

Post by amess » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:16 am

Check the internet for exercises for your sciatica

chronic

Post by chronic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 am

Madalot, I would actually be suspicious of a blood clot. I think you should seek medical attention asap.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:54 am

Mine was caused by a tight muscle that clamped down on the sciatic nerve. Muscle relaxers gave relief and massaging that right spot caused the muscle to let go of the nerve.

But as mentioned already, there are several possible causes, and most require medical treatment. It sounds like the pain is bad. It would be worth a trip t o a clinic or the ER.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:58 am

amess wrote:Check the internet for exercises for your sciatica
Did you READ her post?

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:01 am

A good article here:
https://www.spine-health.com/conditions ... t-sciatica
"Spine-health publishes original articles written for patients by over 100 physician authors and peer-reviewed by a 17 member Medical Advisory Board. This trusted, independent site is supported by hundreds of physician members and visited by millions of patients and their physicians. The information in Spine-health.com is not intended as a substitute for medical professional help or advice but is to be used only as an aid in understanding back pain." (from the website)

Do seek medical attention!

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 am

Oh Madalot

I second Pugsy's and Julie's suggestions. Medical help is what you need.

Are you alone right now? Is that what is preventing you from going to emerg?

When you are in this much pain surfing the internet for help may delay your getting timely and effective treatment.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 am

If it hurts in the left or right lower back area and radiates down that leg.With pain above the ankle and in the thigh area . The location of the pain can change at will. I used stick on pain patches to help me sleep at night.
I had a choice of therapy , injection or possible surgery.Injections worked 2 of 3 times.The therapy consisted of riding a stationary bike and stretching exercises. It worked the last time.
As I mentioned above the pain patches with lidocaine in them let me sleep until I was able to see the Doctor.
Good luck.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. I've been taking it very easy today and feel like I am back to my "pre-bending down" condition from yesterday. Not good, but nowhere near as bad as after bending down on bug retrieval duty! I just need to be very mindful of every move I make and be ready for that excruciating pain. If it catches me off guard, I'm likely to fall and that is really bad.

I've been taking Advil and using Biofreeze which helps some. I also found some muscle relaxers. They are not advised for someone with a neuromuscular disease, but desperate times...

As long as it doesn't get any worse than this, I feel I can wait until Monday and see about getting in with my PCP.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 am

Please let us know how things go then... good luck!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 am

Oh do shut up!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 am

In order to be judged libelous, a statement must be proven UNTRUE.

AMESS

Post by AMESS » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Now that I see all the posts, I think you should see a doc for positive identification.