Maintenance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ThatGuyTyh

Maintenance

Post by ThatGuyTyh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am

Curious on all of your opinions regarding maintenance. My DME stated that the humidifier water replaced every day/container washed once a week, filter washed once a week/replaced once a month, hose washed once a week, mask washed daily. Seems a little excessive to me but I'm completely willing to do what I've gotta do.
"I awoke, only to find my lungs empty,
And through the night, so it seems I'm not breathing"

Pugsy

Re: Maintenance

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

It's excessive to me too.

Cleaning rituals are varied and long been a topic of discussion.
viewtopic.php?p=567264#p567264
or use the forum search and type in "cleaning" and start reading.

The final result...do what you are comfortable doing.
When I first started therapy I was religious about weekly cleaning and all that. Took about 6 months and that got old real fast.
Now my cleaning routine is pretty much non existent...minimal at best.
Don't wash the hose at all.
Maybe wash the water chamber once a month if I think about it.
Don't wash the headgear at all.
Maybe wash the nasal pillows every month or so if I think about it.
Works for me...grosses some people out but that's okay....I roll my eyes when they talk about all the extra work they do so they kill all the "germs" that came from them anyway.
I do change my filters once a month though. I prefer a more fine hypoallergenic filter than the standard mesh filter and it gets pretty yucky looking after a month (old dusty farmhouse and cats and dogs and my maid went on strike some time ago).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am

There are no washable filters for your machine, so I would question anything else he says.
I did all the other things he said--AT FIRST.
Then, I tapered off.
First, I realized that unscented baby wipes were less damaging to the silicone.
Daily washing DAMAGED my Swift FX pillows.
Now, I wash the mask frame, headgear, and tank as needed, in hot water and Dawn.
Less is more, as excessive handling risks damage.
I wipe the outside of the cabinet down with a baby wipe if I see dust/smudging.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 am

chunkyfrog wrote:There are no washable filters for your machine
Actually it appears that ResMed is now providing machines with a "mesh" type of filter and they are indeed washable.
I just got a new AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her 3 or 4 weeks ago and the filter included was what I call the "cheap mesh" and it will easily hold up to multiple washings. It's not like the fine white filters you and I are used to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:26 am

ThatGuyTyh wrote:Curious on all of your opinions regarding maintenance. My DME stated that the humidifier water replaced every day/container washed once a week, filter washed once a week/replaced once a month, hose washed once a week, mask washed daily. Seems a little excessive to me but I'm completely willing to do what I've gotta do.
The clinicians manual for your machine states that you need to replace the filter "every six months, or as needed" Which means, check it every now and then, and replace if it's getting dirty, like any filter. If the air in your bedroom is dustier than most, you'll have to replace it more often, if it's cleaner than most, it'll last a long time, I've heard people comment with all sorts of durations depending on their environment.

The rest of the stuff... I never mess with the hose, it's silly. I'll usually wash my mask weekly, and nightly wipe it down with a tissue and some hand sanitizer just to remove facial oils so it fits better.

Remember that your DME wants to sell you new stuff, so they encourage you to throw away perfectly good things.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am

Pugsy wrote:
Actually it appears that ResMed is now providing machines with a "mesh" type of filter and they are indeed washable.
I just got a new AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her 3 or 4 weeks ago and the filter included was what I call the "cheap mesh" and it will easily hold up to multiple washings. It's not like the fine white filters you and I are used to.
The standard resmed filters, I've always thought *could be* washable, but weren't designed to be, unlike the foam respironics filters. (in a pinch, I've washed the hypoallergenic filters, ("ew, that's dirty and I can't find my spare filters, I'll just wash this while waiting for some more to arrive") and that's worked out fine too)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 am

I use the hypoallergenic filters, which Medicare will cover at the rate of 2 a month.
I change mine every 3 weeks, which is stretching it, because they are positively GRAY when I remove them.
I also replace my pillows at the same time--no washing needed.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 pm

At first, I washed everything (hose, filter, mask) weekly. I wiped down the mask each evening with a baby wipe to remove facial oils from the previous night.

Now, I do this monthly.

As far as the humidifier, mine is disposable. I only use DISTILLED water and just keep filling as needed during the month. On "wash day" I discard the tank and get a new one.

I still wipe my mask/cushion nightly to remove previous nights facial oils and sweat.

I have 2 sets of hoses & filters and rotate them. I let the washed set air dry then put it away. Next wash day, I put them in play while the others get washed and air dry.

My husband has a PRS1 Bipap and we have 2 humidifier tanks that we rotate the same way we do hoses & filters.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
My Window A/C has one of those find mesh washable filters, it also has a timer that turns on a light telling you when it needs cleaning. My bedroom air must really be clean, as it has no dust buildup on the filter ever. I still change both filters on the TANK, It starts to gray in a month. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Prudent practice for medical devices is not usually based on CYA. It's based on what is reasonable and prudent for the population of device users.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I have never, ever typed a word about soclean - not even one. Once you prove your fallibility. As far as who can recommend cleaning cycles I'd trust the manufacturers and medical consultants/professionals before I would trust your uneducated claims relating to medical device cleaning needs. Or now do you wish to claim you have a MAsters in Medical Sterilization too?
Your mileage may vary

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:58 pm

I claim no control nor responsibility for what any poster posts. Why don't you just admit your statement about my previous post was incorrect?
Your mileage may vary