Side sleeper+Full face mask suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Btoeps74

Side sleeper+Full face mask suggestions

Post by Btoeps74 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 am

So as the title states, I am a side sleeper (Congestion prevents sleeping on my back) and currently use a Resmed Quattro FX mask. While the mask isn't horrible, it's not great either. Particularly the strap area. I'm looking for suggestions for a possibly better mask.

I should mention, in doing a search, Nasal pillows are mentioned a lot for side sleeping but since I underwent UP3 surgery years ago, air just goes in my nose and out of my mouth unless I do something drastic like duct taping my mouth shut.

Madalot

Re: Side sleeper+Full face mask suggestions

Post by Madalot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 am

Although many people don't like it, I use the F&P 431. It's the only mask I've ever been able to use consistently. And I sleep ONLY on my sides.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am

Madalot wrote:Although many people don't like it, I use the F&P 431. It's the only mask I've ever been able to use consistently. And I sleep ONLY on my sides.
I found that mask to be very prone to leaks at high pressure, so as always YMMV.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 am

MaxINTJ wrote:
Madalot wrote:Although many people don't like it, I use the F&P 431. It's the only mask I've ever been able to use consistently. And I sleep ONLY on my sides.
I found that mask to be very prone to leaks at high pressure, so as always YMMV.
I'm not saying it never leaks, but my minimum pressure is 18 and for the most part, it's okay. I think facial structure is key for fit on any mask.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

Madalot wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:
I'm not saying it never leaks, but my minimum pressure is 18 and for the most part, it's okay. I think facial structure is key for fit on any mask.
That could be - it leaked from everywhere at 25 whereas the Amara View seals just fine. Such a crap shoot sometimes...
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 am

My husband sleeps only on his side and uses the F10. After getting an initial seal, I rarely hear leaks that he corrects quickly with a mask reposition. He did find out that even though the mask looks fine, if you have used it a few months and begin to have problems sealing a new one makes a big difference. He wrestled with it a few nights before I got a new one for him.

I understand that finding the right mask for you can be a costly adventure but we are all different and it has to work for you. CPAP.com has free return insurance on some masks where you can try and return if it doesn't work. Just be sure and read the time limits.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

klm49

Post by klm49 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Btoeps74 wrote:So as the title states, I am a side sleeper (Congestion prevents sleeping on my back) and currently use a Resmed Quattro FX mask. While the mask isn't horrible, it's not great either. Particularly the strap area. I'm looking for suggestions for a possibly better mask.

I should mention, in doing a search, Nasal pillows are mentioned a lot for side sleeping but since I underwent UP3 surgery years ago, air just goes in my nose and out of my mouth unless I do something drastic like duct taping my mouth shut.
I side sleep and I like my Amara View. My pressure is around 17- 18.5. Only complaint I have is the mask seems to leak a little around the inlet where it attaches to the cushion. Usually moving the elbow around usually fixes it. Its not bad but can be annoying sometimes. Previously I wore an F&P Simplus for nearly a year but finally gave it up due to nose bridge issues.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

ractar28

Post by ractar28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Check out the Sleepweaver Anew. On cpap.com, it's $100 and comes with free return insurance, so if you don't like it, you're not out much (perhaps shipping it back). It's cloth, so I find that sleeping on my side works well with it. My face on the pillow can seal up one side well and the other side is handled by the headgear. Both sides, technically are, but you get the idea.

Check out youtube for instructions on the mask. I wore mine VERY tight and it caused blistering right under my nose (there's an overlapping piece of fabric there). I cut a small piece of bandaid and stick it over that area (the center of the bottom of the nose right where it meets the upper lip area). I'm a big guy, big head, and the regular size is the right size for me. The Large is too large. The area around the nose can stretch, so make sure it gets stretched over your nose and seated well. With a small head, I'm not sure the headgear would be able to be adjusted tight enough. It seems like the straps are too long.

Anyway, the Anew is cheaper than any other "premium" mask out there (yeah, you Quattro), and with the free return insurance, it's really hard to pass up. I did have buyer's remorse when I first got it... "I paid $100 for THIS!", but it's extremely lightweight and works. Think of it as a designer bikini for your nose (anything to justify the price) . But again, cheaper than any other "good" mask and comfortable (minus the blister part).

Like any new mask, it takes some getting used to. Depending on your pressure (I think mine maxes at 18), you can get blow out. I think at the 18 mark, mine blows out badly, but around 14 or so, it's good.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:07 pm

I sleep in my side about 95% of the time. I have been using the Mirage Quattro fot 8 years without any leakproblems. I use the Buckwheat Pillow which allows me to shape the pillow to fit my needs. It is a very firm pillow. I feel the pillow is as important as the mask.
Buckwheat Hull Pillow (CPAPfit) from http://www.pur-sleep.com/

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 am

I sleep exclusively on my side and have a big bushy goatee and have no issues and very low leakage with my Airfit F20. I can damn near sleep on my stomach.

J-

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:40 am

I use the Quattro FX and sleep mostly on my side with a pressure range of 11-17. I did have trouble at the beginning with it being too loose. For me, it needed smaller headgear, so I have to order that special.

You mentioned that you have a headgear issue. Tell us what trouble you are having. Somebody else may have had the same problem and found a way to fix it.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?