Dreamstation Card Deleting Days If Removed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
buckeyered

Dreamstation Card Deleting Days If Removed?

Post by buckeyered » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:40 pm

I just received a new Dreamstation from the VA and I am very thankful to receive it as my old machine burnt up and the smell made it unusable so I went a few days without a machine. When I used the Dreamstation the first three nights I would check the display and it would show I used it that day and the next day I checked it again and it said I had used it two days, I then removed the card and moved the lever to locked and downloaded the data to sleepyhead using my Linux PC and it registered the data and I put the card back in the machine but then the previous day dropped off, I repeated the next day and same thing. Now I am afraid the data may be getting deleted from the card so I am not removing it for fear of lost data. Any ideas whats happening? How can I tell if all the data is on the card if I already downloaded the data in sleepyhead? Could it just be a Dreamstation error and not displaying those days even if they are on the card? Thanks

Soothest Sleep

Re: Dreamstation Card Deleting Days If Removed?

Post by Soothest Sleep » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:04 am

Did you remember to unlock the card before you returned it to the DreamStation?

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:11 am

I was going to say the same thing. If you did I believe just removing the write
protection is all you need to do as the machine keeps a record of the data in
it's internal memory and should refresh the data on your card.

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:17 am

The default display on the DreamStation only shows you the previous three nights. I don't know if it's possible to have it display older data; I've never had the need to to that.

The DreamStation only writes to the SD card. It doesn't read from the SD card to show you its summary of the previous three nights. The DreamStation has additional internal storage from which it retrieves your three nights of history.

Data is never deleted from the SD card by the DreamStation. It is preserved until the end of time or until the SD card malfunctions. The card will malfunction long before it fills up. E.g. the DreamStation I got in April came with a 2 GB card. When the card malfunctioned about 6 months later, only about 20 MB of data was on it (so only about 1% full). I simply reformatted the card and now it's been recording new data for a few months. There are now 6 MB of data on my SD card.

When my SD card malfunctioned I didn't lose any of the detailed data. That's because SleepyHead (I think by default) will keep its own copy of all the data it reads from the SD card. So, if you download to SleepyHead daily, you will lose at most one night of detailed data because of an SD failure.

You can keep your SD card write protected at all times. That makes it much much easier than remembering to flip the switch. The DreamStation ignores the write protect, which is an optional part of the SD spec. The DreamStation cheerfully writes new data to a protected SD card.

Just to throw even more variables into the mix, Respironics also has an app called DreamMapper. This app allows you to read information from the DreamStation via Bluetooth. The app shows at least one week of history. I don't know how much more than that the app retains locally. Just now I scrolled back in DreamMapper to see summaries of my last two months of data. I could probably have scrolled back much more but I think I made my point. But I don't even bother with Bluetooth any more. My DreamStation has a wireless modem in it. So it rats me out on a daily basis to my provider. They know exactly how long I used the machine each and every day. It is this database that DreamMapper accesses. I haven't used Bluetooth in about 6 months, but DreamMapper had no problem showing me last night's summary information.

buckeyered

Post by buckeyered » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:53 am

Yes I flipped it back to the write position, also dreammapper shows no use on the missing days as well.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:48 am

Power your machine off and back on a reboot will prob fix it but not sure you will get your data back