Nervous and need guidance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DMacKU20008

Nervous and need guidance

Post by DMacKU20008 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea last week based upon a home study. I was shocked. The study was ordered due to a slight thickening of the wall of my left ventricle which was discovered back in July 2015 when I was in the hospital due to uncontrollable pain due to a chronic health issue and had slight pain in my chest/shoulder area. I was told that there was a slight chance that the thickening shown on my echo was related to sleep apnea - but it was downplayed because I didn't fit the "typical" profile (female/5'7" & 118 lbs/nonsmoker/BP 96/68/some snoring at times but no observed breathing cessation/no abrupt awakenings/small neck circumference/rarely drink alcohol). The fact that I was tired during the day was linked to a health condition I have called Interstitial Cystis - painful and makes it difficult for me to fall asleep (typically don't fall asleep until 2:00 and wake up around 6:30) and also causes me get up to urinate during the night (also causes me to urinate 20 times during the day if I'm having a flare up). Because of my IC and another health issue, I have to see doctors frequently so I avoided having the study done. Stupid me.

Anyway - home study came back with AHI of 18.1 (17.8 while supine and 18.32 when on right side). My lowest oxygen saturation was 73%. BCBS did an immediate authorization (I hit my "max out-of-pocket" several months ago and i have to, unfortunately, change providers as of Jan 1st) for an in-house lab this past Friday. The good news is that my AHI was 1.5 and my lowest oxygen was 92%. The bad news is that due to a sexual assault which occurred several years ago, I have become claustrophobic - and three times I woke up and became panicked- it took everything I had to not rip everything off of me. I know that if I had been at home that I would have removed things. This wasn't surprising considering that I've been told that everytime after I've had surgery (which has been way too many times - 17), I start removing my oxygen as soon as I start coming out of anesthesia. I don't even tolerate the nasal oxygen cannula once I'm more awake - so, they remove it and have me hold an air tube directly in front of my nose.

As I write this, my Dr is facing over my prescription to a DME so equipment can be sent overnight (BCBS immediately authorized the purchase of equipment again). While I'm happy to have everything completed before Jan 1st, I am nervous because I haven't had really any time to compare machines or review masks. I really thought I would want a nasal pillow - but when i tried one last Friday, the pressure caused me to immediately remove it. I used a nasal mask - and was okay while being distracted while watching TV - and was able to fall asleep because I had only slept about 4 hours over the previous two nights.

So, if there are any suggestions about what I should be looking for re machines and masks, I would truly appreciate any quick replies.

I appreciate any assistance given. Thank you.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Nervous and need guidance

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 pm

DMacKU20008 wrote:my Dr is facing over my prescription to a DME
Which model machine, and what are the pressure settings?

DMacKU20008

Post by DMacKU20008 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:17 pm

I waited all afternoon to hear back regarding your Qs - I am supposed to find out first thing in the morning before they order machine. I'll post the info as soon as I receive it. Thank you

Neicy

Post by Neicy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Welcome to the forum DMacKU20008. There's a boatload of people here that can support you along your journey to becoming a hosehead. Hang in there.

Additional Comments: 21/25 PS3 A work in progress.
Neicy
Non-treated AHI = 29 non-REM, 55 REM
Diagnosed Nov. 2011
Started CPAP Jan. 25, 2012

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am

When using a DME you typically don't get a choice of brands or models unless the doctor is specific on the script as to what he wants.

We don't have any way to know which brand your chosen DME keeps in inventory or which model machine they typically dispense or even what your doctor wrote on the RX.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:46 pm

DMacKU20008 wrote:I waited all afternoon to hear back regarding your Qs - I am supposed to find out first thing in the morning before they order machine. I'll post the info as soon as I receive it. Thank you
Before you allow the DME to place an order, let forum members make sure the machine is appropriate. (Sorry, but I think that is what you had in mind already.)