Respironics Dreamstation runs out of water...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Respironics Dreamstation runs out of water...

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:39 am

NorwichTerrier wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:28 am
Question - how do you know you have run out of water if it is during the night? I have a DreamStation, also, and I have run out a couple of times when I was in bed longer than 8 hours, but I was not aware of it until morning when I took the humidifier tank out to be filled. Is that a problem or a danger to the machine if the humidifier is running and there is no water in the tank. No alarm went off - at least nothing that I heard.
No danger and you didn’t hear an alarm because there isn’t one.
If the plastic gets too hot without water in the chamber it can stink something awful though and too long without water might make the stink seem permanent.
It will be obvious to you if that happens.
Won’t start a fire or anything like that though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:42 pm

agermaine wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:52 am
The Phillips DreamMachine humidifier straight up holds half as much water as my old cpap period. It is a bad design. I use nasal pillow for 14years perfect seal setting of 3 water runs out in 3 hours setting of 2 maybe lasts 5 even at one I have to fill twice a night if I sleep more than 6 hours. I have tested this side by side with my old cpap and my old I can go 12+ hours on level 3 which very moist air. Dreamstation On level one is too dry and still does not last the night it is BS. I have complained to my local supplier who finally admits it is a problem they get a ton of complaints and they have complained to Phillips but still no fix because they made the tank too small
Well, trade it in on a Resmed.

The Resmeds hold more water (380ml) than the Respironics(325ml). The Dreamstation, btw, holds the same amount of water that the Respironics System One machines did (both 50 and 60 series) which also hold the same as the old M series machines (325ml).

What was your old machine?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

wifeconcerned

Post by wifeconcerned » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:02 pm

This is definitely a problem with the Dreamstation - the way the water chamber sits in the machine and the larger opening is the cause, using the same amount of water in the Respironics System One (same person) the System One never runs out of water. I will be returning the Dreamstation.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 pm

The problem comes from leaking too much treatment air, probably out of your mouth, and adding too much heat to the water. The laws of physics, must be followed or the results will be poor. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:07 pm

NorwichTerrier wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:28 am
Question - how do you know you have run out of water if it is during the night? I have a DreamStation, also, and I have run out a couple of times when I was in bed longer than 8 hours, but I was not aware of it until morning when I took the humidifier tank out to be filled. Is that a problem or a danger to the machine if the humidifier is running and there is no water in the tank. No alarm went off - at least nothing that I heard.
I'm with you on this. I have also wondered how people knew their water ran out in the middle of the night. I suppose because I have never once checked it.

I've run out of water a couple times, but I forget the circumstances. Usually there is still water in the morning and I don't pay much attention to it. Sometimes it uses a lot of water, sometimes not. I either dump it and allow the humidifier to dry or refill it. The humidifier seems to be the least of my problems. If I could just fall asleep....and stay asleep...that would be awesome.

For what it's worth, I use a Dreamstation with a heated tube, the humidifier is set to 4 & I use a full face mask, pressure range set for 10-20. I'm usually in bed for 6-7 hours.

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:25 pm

I do think the Dreamstation tank is marginal for those that need to run a 4 or 5 humidity level.....or if you sleep more than 8 hours. I usually run mine at 2 and sometimes 3. My sleep time is generally around the 7 hour range. This mornings sleep time was only 6 hours. I never run out of water unless I have leaks. When I first started 6 months ago the tank would be empty a couple of times. I was sleeping 10 hours a night and or my mask was ill fitting. I haven't run out of water for several months now. My pressure is set @15cm and is always @ 13 to 13.5 EPAP, for whatever that's worth.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

Rankinville

Post by Rankinville » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:18 am

I’m trying out the dream station my humidifier also runs out of water as people are stating on here. The reservoir is too small. My mask is running at 98%. This is at a setting of 2 for the humidifier. I’ve used the resperonics for ten years and this has never happened. I’ve tried three different settings and doesn’t make a difference. I like this better than the resperonics but no good if humifier doesn’t last all night. This is a glitch they didn’t account for.

Rankinville

Post by Rankinville » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am

Midnight Strangler wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm
Nope, she uses a nasal interface and is probably breathing through the mouth.
I use a full face mask and it does the same for me and runs out. Before answering try one out and you will see it runs out of water. My mask leaks detection is at 98% which is not bad. Never ever had this with my resperonics machine In Ten years

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Rankinville wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am
Midnight Strangler wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm
Nope, she uses a nasal interface and is probably breathing through the mouth.
I use a full face mask and it does the same for me and runs out. Before answering try one out and you will see it runs out of water. My mask leaks detection is at 98% which is not bad. Never ever had this with my resperonics machine In Ten years
You have something set up wrong. Or, you sleep in the desert and use a pressure setting of 30.