Anyone traded in the Dreamstation for something else?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaisySmith

Anyone traded in the Dreamstation for something else?

Post by DaisySmith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:04 pm

I have concluded that I really hate the Dreamstation. Between the puffs of air, the humming sounds, the loud Darth Vader breathing....Ive had it. I don't know what else to request though or even if the insurance company will let me switch. I had a really cheap basic unit before this one that I liked a lot better. My first AirSense10 was also just fine. I have yet to see a bad review of the Dreamstation. Could I really just have a bad unit? This thing is truly terrible

D.H.

Re: Anyone traded in the Dreamstation for something else?

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm

You can turn off the exhalation relief to stop the "Darth Vader breathing." I never noticed the puffs of air, although I did see that they had occurred on Sleepyhead. I'm not sure if you can turn that off.

Also, check the humidifier door. That could be the source of humming or whistling.

paulw

Post by paulw » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 pm

I tried a Dreamstation when I got a new machine the first of the year - I had been using a Devilbiss Intellipap for 6 years before that.
It was quiet enough, but I couldn't get used to the pulsing pressure changes... The numbers were o.k., but I just didn't like it. After a month I knew I would never buy it once the rental was converted to purchase.
After trying to live with it for 30 nights, I called my doctor and had him swap it out for a Resmed Autoset (no Medicare listed DMEs around here seem to carry Devilbiss machines).
I'm very happy with the Autoset... It feels like it has a much smoother therapy algorithm - for me - & doesn't seem to want to poke me once in a while like the Dreamstation.
I know lots of people are extremely happy with the Dreamstation.... maybe we are just sensitive to abrupt presure changes and pulses.
Good luck finding 'the one'.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Set it for CPAP at a straight pressure if you want it dumbed down. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ShinRyoku

Post by ShinRyoku » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 pm

I have a few different machines, one of which is the DreamStation. I haven't noticed any of the issues you mention except that I do find it to be loud when I use it without the humidifier. With the humidifier, it's much quieter. If you post a recording of your machine, we can probably tell you if it is abnormal sounding for a DreamStation.

I vaguely recall noticing puffs of air initially with one of my machines, can't remember which one, but I must have gotten used to it because I rotate between them these days and never notice anything like that anymore.
-Amin
Owner/editor: https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Setting the machine to CPAP mode won't stop the pressure pulses/puffs.
They aren't part of the auto adjusting algorithm. They are part of the entire machine's algorithm needed to help it distinguish between open airway vs obstructed airway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Funny that I never noticed the pulses; I know that they happened (per SleepyHead).