How many of you snored as a kid?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cathyann

How many of you snored as a kid?

Post by Cathyann » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Even when I was little, I snored. On family vacations when I'd share a bed with my mom she was always elbowing me to roll over and quit snoring. I was low energy back then, even at a normal weight. Loved naps, and no matter what I'd fall asleep quickly.

I snored in my early years, my teens, my 20s, my 30s when I had babies and started gaining weight. I'm 48 now and snore like two freight trains.

Looking back, I bet I've always had SA. Never had a sleep study until my 30s...

kteague

Re: How many of you snored as a kid?

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 pm

Never was told I snored as a kid, but started hearing that by the time I was 20. Didn't believe it, was sure they were mistaken - all of them. :lol:

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:11 pm

i did when I was a teenager.. I know that for sure.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 am

It doesn't matter what others had, snoring is just a sign of possible SA of many. As a kid your airway isn't fully formed, it changes as you age. What counts is getting checked out if you have SA signs, and if you do treat it so damage can be warded off before damage is done. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 am

I did. As long as I can remember. Even as young as 8 or 9. In high school I was embarrassed to sleep over friends' houses and in college my poor roomate slept with a stuffed animal over her head. Back then I'd never heard the word apnea.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am

I never snored as a kid or even as an adult until Mother Nature paid me the old menopause visit.
When my now husband met me in 2002...I didn't snore but was just starting the joys of menopause..hot flashes and all that.
Snoring really bad started in probably 2006...I would even wake myself up....2007 husband reported witnessing not breathing...2008 was in denial...
2009 finally got something done about it and started cpap.

In my case it was Mother Nature and the saggy tissues that come with menopause.
Saggy boobs, butt, belly and airway tissues. :lol:

It's quite common for menopause to tip the OSA scales in some women.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 am

I never snored as a child or as an adult and not even when I was diagnosed, but ditto to what Pugsy said ... Mother Nature gave me OSA at the time of menopause.

However, I've had a scalloped tongue for almost my whole life (as I recall) and that's an indicator of SDB so maybe it was just a transition from mild to moderate OSA at menopause?

I have to confess that since diagnosed I've had the chutzpah to actually ask a few people to stick out their tonguge when we've discussed OSA but so far not a single person has a scalloped tongue. Any wonder I'm no longer invited out to parties that much these days?? :lol: :D

arbo67

Post by arbo67 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Always snored, remember my brother waking me up as a kid. My college roommate whacking me with a pillow. my wife telling me so. CPAP has stopped that. Wouldn't call it life changing, but a happy wife is a happy life.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:13 pm

I snored as a child, a teen, and a young adult. Snoring continued through my 20's. 30's .... and now entering my 60's I still snore but my CPAP controls it nicely.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:52 pm

I snored, but so did both my parents so I thought it was normal. That is, until I had a friend over in 5th grade. I woke up the next morning and she was on the couch. She said she'd elbowed me to stop the snoring, and when that didn't work she'd hit me over the head with her teddy bear! After that she gave up and took to the couch. I also got evicted from my room on a three day high school field trip after the first night. My roommates staged an intervention and told me I had to bunk with my mom (who fortunately was along as a chaperone)

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 pm

I had my adenoids and tonsils removed at age 4 because I snored loudly. That improved my snoring but I have been a long napper my entire life. When I hit my 40s my snoring came back full force.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I snored as a kid, and yes I think I may have had some level of apnea all my life, as I'd always been highly destractible and a little muddy in my thinking... forgetting the simplest things with a much better longterm memory then short term... Now that I'm treated... I feel the most focused of my life.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"