New dreamstation apap heated but no heated tube

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
richac

New dreamstation apap heated but no heated tube

Post by richac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello, I just got a new dreamstaiton auto cpap machine today, but I didn't get the heated tube. Is it not nescessary if you have a heated humidifier or did the company put the wrong tube in the box?

Anything else I should check to make sure the machine is proper?

Thank you for the help.

Rich.

Cardsfan

Re: New dreamstation apap heated but no heated tube

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

It's optional, will work with either heated or non heated tube. You may want to see if you can switch it for a heated one.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 pm

The humidifier will still work like it is supposed to within the parameters available with a non heated hose.
With the heated hose you get some additional options which you may or may not need or want depending on where you live and the ambient humidity where you live and your ambient bedroom temperatures.

You can always get a heated hose later if you need to. Not a big deal.

Now if you start get rain out/condensation in the mask or hose (and you will know it if it happens) get the heated hose sooner than later.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Make sure you or your INS got what was called and paid for. DME's aren't know for their honesty! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

richac

Post by richac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm

ok ty for the information. They claim my insurance doesn't cover the heated hose anymore when I just called. Not sure if thats true or not, but I guess no big deal. I'll just see if I get the condensation build up like you said, if so I'll inquire then.

Only other problem I've noticed is that F&P full mask they sent out was making real loud hissing air noises. I don't remember that ever happening with my old machine. so cleaned up my old mask and hooked it up and no issues. completely silent. I thought maybe it was the cushions so I changed the cushion and still had same problem. So it must be the frame. I inspected closely and sure enough there is like a couple hair line fractures on the frame in the upper flat areas. that look like scratches but it indeed goes all the way through the mask. The noise is coming out of that dongle where you plug the hose, the piece that moves around. But maybe something is just off balanced with the whole thing, most likely more pronounced when pressed on my face, probably damaged while shipped. So they are sending me a new one. Crossing my fingers the new one is ok.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Call up your insurance directly and ask if they will cover the heated hose or not.
The HCPCS billing code for a heated hose is A4604
Don't ever trust a DME to tell you what your insurance will do or won't do...verify directly with your insurance company.
If you do happen to have Medicare...you have been lied to.

All insurance companies will use these same HCPCS billing codes....all companies including Medicare which is where this replacement allowance guide is from.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

richac

Post by richac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Make sure you or your INS got what was called and paid for. DME's aren't know for their honesty! Jim
oh believe me I know lol. Already filed a complaint against one for sending me a basic machine but charging my insurance company for an apap lol.

I double checked everything on this bill. seems I got what they charging for. except for the heated tube. but the receipt says auto w/htd tube in one item. I believe when I had the resmed with a heated tube, the heated tube was a sepaerate charge. I could be wrong but maybe I should let my insurance company know. I have a case manager with them because of the problems i've had with the dme.

I do see a small charge items on here I have no idea what it is. But i'm not gonna complain about it. I could get everything much cheaper on amazon. but I doubt even my case manager would know what prices are supposed to be. not our job.

richac

Post by richac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm
Call up your insurance directly and ask if they will cover the heated hose or not.
The HCPCS billing code for a heated hose is A4604
Don't ever trust a DME to tell you what your insurance will do or won't do...verify directly with your insurance company.
If you do happen to have Medicare...you have been lied to.

All insurance companies will use these same HCPCS billing codes....all companies including Medicare which is where this replacement allowance guide is from.

ty for this chart! I actually have medicaid, not medicare.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm

richac wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:48 pm
ty for this chart! I actually have medicaid, not medicare.
Most Medicaid is state regulated and the state may or may not follow the Medicare guidelines.
You need to check with them directly to see what they do or don't pay for anymore.
I know one woman on Medicaid whose state Medicaid only pays for 1 nasal pillow replacement per year...yep..per year.
It can and will vary from state to state.

Post by *4408 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

sorry you have had a bad experience with your DME provider. I work DME and I am licensed to work in two states (RT). Your DME was correct MA (Medicaid) does not cover heated tubing. And there is no HCPCS code for an apap. It bills the same as a cpap ( E0601 ). So they switched units only to make you happy.
If you need further assistance...questions or concerns, I'd be glad to help.
#passionateaboutsleep

Neicy

Post by Neicy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm

My doc had to send an order to dme for a heated hose before insurance would cover it. Most times they just order "the usual" - machine, heated humidifier, hose and mask.

Additional Comments: 21/25 PS3 A work in progress.
Neicy
Non-treated AHI = 29 non-REM, 55 REM
Diagnosed Nov. 2011
Started CPAP Jan. 25, 2012

richac

Post by richac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

*4408 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm
sorry you have had a bad experience with your DME provider. I work DME and I am licensed to work in two states (RT). Your DME was correct MA (Medicaid) does not cover heated tubing. And there is no HCPCS code for an apap. It bills the same as a cpap ( E0601 ). So they switched units only to make you happy.
If you need further assistance...questions or concerns, I'd be glad to help.
#passionateaboutsleep
Actually I just received the authorization letter in mail today. It says non heated humidifier with heated tube. Instead dme gave me heated humidifier with non heated tube. Which is better?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:58 pm

The non heated hud, isn't a standard option, heat is required to make it work, more B.S.! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 pm

The DreamStation doesn't have a non heated humidifier available that will attach to it.
The humidifier is more important than the heated hose.
I suspect a typo error.
Worry about the heated hose later. You may not even need it and you can get a heated hose for a lot less than a humidifier would cost.

richac

Post by richac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 pm
The DreamStation doesn't have a non heated humidifier available that will attach to it.
The humidifier is more important than the heated hose.
I suspect a typo error.
Worry about the heated hose later. You may not even need it and you can get a heated hose for a lot less than a humidifier would cost.
ok I will take your advice ty.