Soyala mask question re sizing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tmaiberger

Soyala mask question re sizing

Post by tmaiberger » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:40 pm

I am considering getting the Soyala as my next mask. I currently use an UMII nasal size standard or Activa size standard. Not sure how the sizing for the Soyala is and wanted to know if anyone did and how the sizing compares to Resmed sizing on the UMII and Activa.

On a side note, I have been going around with my local DME office re this mask. I was told by the local office that they had never heard of Somnotech or the Soyala mask and that they could not get it. Called Somnotech and they said they were approved for Lincare nationwide. Called Lincare corporate and actually got someone to call me back, confirm that Somnotech is approved, and stated he would contact the local Lincare office and provide them the information. Still a bit in shock over the helpfulness from a corporate office of a DME.

Thanks for any responses.

TM

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:58 pm

I used the Med-Standard in both the UM, UMII and Activa but went with a Large with the Soyala, I didn't want it to be too small as too much pressure on my nose from the mask seems to contribute to nasal congestion.

So I ordered a Large in the Soyala and haven't regretted it one bit. For a large, it doesn't seem any larger than the others standard size. I also wanted it to ride up higher on the nose bridge area so it didn't put too much pressure. If your nose bridge is sensitive to pressure I'd get the large size so it rides higher more in the center of the pupils of the eye vs. down lower.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 pm

Thanks Snoredog. I will ask the DME to have both the standard and large cushions available for me to try.

TM

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:49 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]Thanks Snoredog. I will ask the DME to have both the standard and large cushions available for me to try.

TM

Vader

Re: Soyala mask question re sizing

Post by Vader » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:45 pm

tmaiberger wrote:I am considering getting the Soyala as my next mask. I currently use an UMII nasal size standard or Activa size standard. Not sure how the sizing for the Soyala is and wanted to know if anyone did and how the sizing compares to Resmed sizing on the UMII and Activa.

On a side note, I have been going around with my local DME office re this mask. I was told by the local office that they had never heard of Somnotech or the Soyala mask and that they could not get it. Called Somnotech and they said they were approved for Lincare nationwide. Called Lincare corporate and actually got someone to call me back, confirm that Somnotech is approved, and stated he would contact the local Lincare office and provide them the information. Still a bit in shock over the helpfulness from a corporate office of a DME.

Thanks for any responses.

TM

I use a large in the Activa, so I got the large in the Soyala. It fits great.
My DME gave me the runaround about getting the Soyala, and offered up every possible excuse about why they couldn't get it. Finally I told them my Doctor thinks that the Soyala would be an excellent mask for me, and "perhaps I should try a different DME, if they can't get it".
Needless to say, when I told them this, I had my Soyala in just a couple of days.

Be persistent.

Vader

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:37 am

Persistance is one thing that I have learned on this board. It definitly pays off (got an auto, will get the mask I want) and has actually transferred to my other medical visits. I now insist on copies of all reports generated when I see a doctor. Sometimes they look at me funny, but I just say that I like to keep records of my visits so if anything comes up any doctor I see would at least have an idea of my medical history.

TM

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:02 am

I asked a DME about the Soyala and he had never heard of it. His mfg rep visited him the next day and the DME asked about it. The rep had a sample along, and DME gave it to me to try out and critique. As more DME's get familiar with the Soyala it should become more available. Or, as a previous poster said, go a different DME if possible.

My feedback--To get away from leaks around eye I have to wear it a little low. It then presses on the upper gum area. I've wondered about the medium size being correct. Nasal congestion is greater when the mask fits too close to side of nasal areas.

My AHI while on this mask has lowered from 1.8-3.2 to .08 to 1.8. Seal is good without having to be strapped down too tight.

sleepless_in_ny

Post by sleepless_in_ny » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:28 pm

I wanted to see the Soyala mask and called the company to find that they do not have a rep in NYC. So they told me that if I had my Sleep Center call them, they would send them the mask in 3 sizes. This way I can see the mask and which size is appropriate for me and Somnotech gets exposure to a major Sleep Center. A win win situation...........I should be able to see the mask next week.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:50 pm

RachelM wrote:I asked a DME about the Soyala and he had never heard of it. His mfg rep visited him the next day and the DME asked about it. The rep had a sample along, and DME gave it to me to try out and critique. As more DME's get familiar with the Soyala it should become more available. Or, as a previous poster said, go a different DME if possible.

My feedback--To get away from leaks around eye I have to wear it a little low. It then presses on the upper gum area. I've wondered about the medium size being correct. Nasal congestion is greater when the mask fits too close to side of nasal areas.

My AHI while on this mask has lowered from 1.8-3.2 to .08 to 1.8. Seal is good without having to be strapped down too tight.
I agree if you get one that is too small it can put pressure on the outside of the nose and contribute to nasal congestion, reason I went with the large. Sort of the reverse effect of a BreatheRight strip of which I use under the mask every night.

There are quite a few adjustments on that mask, don't forget you can squeeze the center of the T-bar forehead piece and move the forehead support in/out seperately, in addition you can squeeze and completely remove the T-bar and flip it upside down if the bar is riding too high/low.

Then there are 3 seperate "slots" on the main frame the forehead piece connects to so you can move it in/out and change the "pivot" of the mask.

Don't let it put too much pressure on your nose it can leave a red mark but even that can be adjusted out.