Night shift and Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jerseyguy

Night shift and Sleep Apnea

Post by Jerseyguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:09 am

I think I read somewhere that working overnight shifts may increase your likelihood of getting sleep apnea does anyone know about that I used to work overnights for 2 years at a hospital and might want to return, I know I'm weird but I kinda enjoyed the laid back lifestyle. Nothing better than sitting in an empty hospital cafeteria eating lunch or taking a quick break inside an empty OR

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mikebear

Re: Night shift and Sleep Apnea

Post by Mikebear » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 am

Jerseyguy wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:09 am
I think I read somewhere that working overnight shifts may increase your likelihood of getting sleep apnea does anyone know about that I used to work overnights for 2 years at a hospital and might want to return, I know I'm weird but I kinda enjoyed the laid back lifestyle. Nothing better than sitting in an empty hospital cafeteria eating lunch or taking a quick break inside an empty OR

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I worked overnight 12 hour shifts for 10 years. It didn't change my apnea better or worse. The only way that MIGHT happen, is IF you stress-eat all night and gain a LOT of weight, and IF that extra weight on you causes sleep apnea. It does for some people, but it's NO guarantee that being overweight will cause apnea, as there are skinny people that also have it.