Rough night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Barbee

Rough night

Post by Barbee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 am

Im about 60 days into cpap therapy here. Been doing great. Feeling much better overall but...
Last night, I struggled. I could feel that little obstruction flap slipping down as I was dozing off and then a puff of air would push it back up. And wake me up. Over and over. I feel like I been run over by a truck this morning. According to MyAir, I had 2.8 events per hour, and slept for 5:18 hours.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Here is what my machine says:
Mode:cpap
Set pressure:10
Start:4.4
Ramp time:5 mins (I changed this from 30 mins to 5 mins)
EPR:on
Level:1
Control:manual
Essentials:on
Smart start:off

lamar2217

Re: Rough night

Post by lamar2217 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 am

Not unless you enjoy being a hypochondriac. Overall it kooks like you are doing well. Keep up the good work.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm sorry you had a rough night. I think it happens to us all sooner or later, and I wouldn't be concerned unless it continues. Just wondering, why is your ramp time so short?

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 pm

A lot of people prefer short ramp times, or no ramp time. If I use ramp, I set it for 5 minutes. Normally, I don't use ramp. I simply turn on mask fit check and leave it on. After three minutes, the fit check stops, and the normal treatment pressure starts.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 pm
A lot of people prefer short ramp times, or no ramp time. If I use ramp, I set it for 5 minutes. Normally, I don't use ramp. I simply turn on mask fit check and leave it on. After three minutes, the fit check stops, and the normal treatment pressure starts.
That is not how the Mask Fit check works on the Autoset. On the Autoset it blows constant at a high pressure so you can reduce leakage. It is not for regular night use.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Well Okie, I am wondering if the higher pressure is making the valve noise (obstruction flap) more noticeable. I use essentially the same mask, just a different cushion and I have never heard it. Then again, and it is just a hypothesis, I use a longer ramp time and I am sound asleep before my full pressure kicks in. What do you think?

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:31 pm

MrsRinPDX wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:56 pm
I'm sorry you had a rough night. I think it happens to us all sooner or later, and I wouldn't be concerned unless it continues. Just wondering, why is your ramp time so short?
I shortened the ramp time soon after I started using the machine. I was up and down the first few nights so many times (old habits) and I was having trouble meeting the 4 hour requirement for my insurance. I could probably raise it back up now as I rarely wake up.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 pm

MrsRinPDX wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 pm
Okie bipap wrote:
Well Okie, I am wondering if the higher pressure is making the valve noise (obstruction flap) more noticeable. I use essentially the same mask, just a different cushion and I have never heard it. Then again, and it is just a hypothesis, I use a longer ramp time and I am sound asleep before my full pressure kicks in. What do you think?
Oh! No i typed that wrong. The obstruction flap im talking about is the one in my throat :D Sorry for the mix up!

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Barbee wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 pm
MrsRinPDX wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 pm
Okie bipap wrote:
Oh! No i typed that wrong. The obstruction flap im talking about is the one in my throat :D Sorry for the mix up!
Well, I'm embarrassed. Nevermind. :oops:

45011ohio

Post by 45011ohio » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 pm

No issue about the flap, I figured that was what you meant on the first reading.
I have found that the ramp time is a good thing. I have mine at 30 minutes, I also have the smartstart on. The lower pressure with the ramp time where I have it allows me to basically get entirely asleep before the pressure builds to full strength.