Sleeping pills and sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Midstarian

Post by Midstarian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:56 am

Hello, iv'e gotten a sleep study done and i'm waiting for my machine
I've had it once already but its a complicated story.

So, i was told by my mother to use sleep pills until iv'e gotten my machine
but a friend mentioned a good point that i to once considered, would it be dangerous to use sleeping pills without my machine?
Given they relax your muscles and also make it so it's harder to wake up? So if i'm not breathing and i cant wake myself up as easy wouldn't that be dangerous?
I asked in a facebook group, but i wanted to join fourm i tend to not like these face book groups i'm hoping this one will give better insight on things and answer some of my questions.

Julie

Re: Sleeping pills and sleep apnea

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 am

It's probably not a great idea to use pills as you said because it may relax your throat even more, causing more apneas, but - it may depend on other things - whether you have insomnia (the reason for taking the pills?), or which pills they are, in what dose, etc.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:23 am

this should be discussed with your doctor that prescribed your pills and who knows your complete medical history.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

musculus

Post by musculus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:48 am

generally not a good idea unless you can sleep on your stomach for most of the night.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:30 am

I agree its doesn't sound like a good idea. However, discuss with you doctor (preferably the doctor that you're seeing for your sleep issues).

Especially discuss whether to take the pills on the night of the sleep study if you have issues falling asleep.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:41 am

D.H. wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:30 am
I agree its doesn't sound like a good idea. However, discuss with you doctor (preferably the doctor that you're seeing for your sleep issues).

Especially discuss whether to take the pills on the night of the sleep study if you have issues falling asleep.
Do you ever read posts before you attempt to answer them? He said...Hello, iv'e gotten a sleep study done and i'm waiting for my machine

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Midstarian wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:56 am
Sleeping pills could make your apneas longer. A brief awakening stops an apnea. Make it harder to waken, and you might make apnea more severe.
Midstarian wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:56 am
Hello, iv'e gotten a sleep study done and i'm waiting for my machine
The standard advice while waiting is to avoid backsleeping. On the back, gravity is directly pulling the tongue and soft palate into the airway causing obstructions. Many people get some relief, but not a cure, from side or stomach sleeping.

Omne

Post by Omne » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:05 pm

The main thing is that sleeping pills won't help improve sleep quality for someone with with apnea. They may help you fall asleep but you can still be interrupted unless you are taking huge amounts of drugs.
I use Ambien and Lunesta every night due to long term chronic insomnia and without the machine I feel lousy the next day. The pills help me sleep but they don't improve my rest.

I would wait if I were you.