Motrin and diet

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cpap116

Motrin and diet

Post by Cpap116 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi everybody,

I guess it really is possible that diet and medication could cause apneas?

I've been on Motrin for the last couple nights for my aching loser back. Prior to that even yesterday morning.
I've been hovering near zero after a recent adjustment of my pressure on the 18th from 12 cmh2o to 14. After that pressure ajustment recent apneas of 0.2, 0.3 were common, But last night I woke up to get a glass of water and checked the machine and It had reported 3.2 AHI. When I woke up this morning the app updated “My Air” app say my AHI was 1.9. guessing that was overall last night? I suppose my real question is since it seems to be obvious that Motrin caused this, does anybody else know of anything else. Last Wednesday, March 21 it looks like I had 1.3 events. I didn't know that until now but obviously there must be something that I ate. Because everything around it for days has been between zero and .3 AHI. I have not found any boards talking about this. Anyone know of certain foods that do this?

Sleeping without Cpap is best, but it works great!

Goofproof

Re: Motrin and diet

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:38 pm

AHI varies every time we sleep, for many reasons, it's a game of averages. Daily numberhave only one function, something to obsess over. And obsessing is bad for AHI numbers. (Stress) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Cpap116 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 pm
it seems to be obvious that Motrin caused this
Correlation does not equal causation. You probably aren't finding any information on this because ibuprofen (Motrin) is not know to cause a worsening of sleep apnea. By what mechanism do you propose that ibuprofen would worsen sleep apnea?
Cpap116 wrote:
“My Air” app say my AHI was 1.9
What's the breakdown of 1.9? AI, HI, Central AI?

Cpap116 wrote:
“My Air” app say my AHI was 1.9
I think you are overly concerned to worry about a night that is still under 1.9.

BTW, if you really like to dig into statistics, start using SleepyHead - tutorial under Announcements on index page. MyAir is not well thought of in this forum.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:50 pm

As Goofproof pointed out, every night is different. I too doubt Motrin has anything to do with it. I take Ibuprofen often for my bad back and my 90-day average AHI with treatment is 1.0 . Occasionally, like two nights ago, I my nightly AHI was 3.6 . I didn't take Ibuprofen that night.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:18 pm

More likely the Motrin took enough of the pain away from your back, that you rolled over and started sleeping on it. Many people's SA AHI count goes UP when they sleep completely prone on their back.

That might make you believe that the "meds caused my apnea to get worse". Also, AHI can change all by itself from night to night, with absolutely NO changes made to anything.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Pain raises AHI, Pain Relief drugs relax muscles. that raises AHI, To win don't have pains. Fat Chance! Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Cpap116

Post by Cpap116 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Okay! Please! Gentle!, Nobody here deserves a heavy handed comment. Chicago Granny, Loosen you mask! I Absolutly saw something out of the ordinary for me and asked about something I believed was true. ( By what mechanism you ask ?) I don’t need to go through the scientific method to suggest something on this forum about me! If “My air” is not good enough for this forum, I can’t help that. More power to you for wanting to learn all you can. But, if you judge someone for having faith in the manufactures statistics after 5 months of use. Qualify your self an expert. For this? I’m rolling my eyes. The groups answers of <not likely > were enough to convince me. Sorry for getting on my Soap box. Again, thanks for your Answers

Sleeping without Cpap is best, but it works great!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Chicago Granny's post was spot on, if that was heavy handed you need better earmuffs and blinders.

Winters are cold around here, but it comes with truth. :lol: Jim