Full Face Mask Recommendation - Mirage Quattro or ??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ron AKA

Full Face Mask Recommendation - Mirage Quattro or ??

Post by Ron AKA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm currently using a ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow mask, and I like it, except for the fact it appears I am not keeping my mouth shut and it is messing up my treatment. Instead of learning not to do it, I seem to be getting worse, especially as pressures are up. Major leaks are reported and I get a scolding from SleepyHead. I am currently trying an elastic chin strap and using medical paper adhesive tape to keep my lips from leaking. It is not a lot of fun, and I suspect not a long term tolerable solution.

So what would you suggest for a full face mask as a trial? A little bit of research indicates that this ResMed Mirage Quattro has been around for a while and remains a very popular mask. That usually is a good sign. Do you feel it is a good mask? I have limited means to do a trial, and will just have to buy one (at about $140 Cdn). Or would you suggest something else? I don't watch TV or read in bed. It is mask on, lights out! I have arthritis especially in one shoulder, and do move from side to side and to my back for comfort. I typically get up for a "P" or some Tums once a night, and have to get the mask on an off with minimal effort and not much light. Maximum pressure will be in the 11-13 cm range. My priorities are comfort, a good sleep, and a leak free night without messing my face up too much. I have measured my face up with ResMed's fitting template and it looks like a Medium will work, so I shouldn't have any unusual fitting requirements.

DavidY

Re: Full Face Mask Recommendation - Mirage Quattro or ??

Post by DavidY » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:47 pm

If you like nasal pillows, consider a hybrid too. I have my eye on a F&P Simplus since I like F&P Eson2's nasal cushion.

Papsmart has the Quattro Air for $109 CAD. No past experience with Papsmart however. May use them to price match.

Dave

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 pm

DavidY wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:47 pm
If you like nasal pillows, consider a hybrid too. I have my eye on a F&P Simplus since I like F&P Eson2's nasal cushion.
Papsmart has the Quattro Air for $109 CAD. No past experience with Papsmart however. May use them to price match.
Thanks David. I will check out the F&P Simplus.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:08 pm

I have been using the Quattro for several years, recently I tried the Simplus and I really like it. It's a toss up but I think I like my Quattro better.

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm

LSAT wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:08 pm
I have been using the Quattro for several years, recently I tried the Simplus and I really like it. It's a toss up but I think I like my Quattro better.
Thanks for the feedback. The Quattro seems to be more available.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:45 am

I'm really new at this but one of my masks is a Res Med F10 & I like it... I read where it's lighter than most... I rotate between a FF, Nose & Nasal...

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:20 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 am
Here's the deal about any of us recommending any mask to you....
Thank you for the detailed response. I fully understand the personal nature of the mask issue. I am just hoping to narrow down the possibilities and get a short list of masks to consider, and then I will probably pull the trigger on one that looks like a fit for my needs. So far I have the Quattro, F&P Simplus, and AirFit F20 on it.

I agree that the Quattro looks pretty ugly and clumsy with the forehead rest, and adjustable stop. However as a mechanical engineer I can see how they got to that design, and I have always believed that form follows function. A common issue with full face masks seems to be irritation of the bridge of the nose even to the point of bruising. The Quattro mask takes the brute force and butt ugly approach to solving that problem. The Simplus with it's overlapping bellows kind of design in that area of the mask is more elegant, but I wonder if it is as effective in getting a seal with the minimum force.

There also seems to be an issue of durability especially with the newer materials. One mask is using memory foam, but it does not seem to stand up, based on some user reports. Again the nose bridge area seems to be the weak point.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the issue. I'm not expecting any kind of this is the one and only mask to buy, but more here is one to consider because it works for me....

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am

If the OP will go to cpap.com and look at the various FF masks, he will see hundreds of reviews on each one.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/full-face-cpap-mask.php

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:24 am

LSAT wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am
If the OP will go to cpap.com and look at the various FF masks, he will see hundreds of reviews on each one.
The "hundreds" part is my problem! That comparison feature is helpful though. On a quick look it appears the Quattro is the highest rated of the current three I am considering.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Ron AKA wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:24 am
LSAT wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am
The "hundreds" part is my problem! That comparison feature is helpful though. On a quick look it appears the Quattro is the highest rated of the current three I am considering.
Quattro Air is one of the lighter FFM based on YT.

Dave

John1409

Post by John1409 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00 pm

I have the Mirage quattro and the F&P Simplus. I prefer the Mirage Quattro (of those 2) as it has more adjustments to take the force off the bridge of the nose.
I also have the Philips Amara View and I prefer it to the previous 2 as there is less too it, less noticeable. I use that one when I am congested.
When I'm not congested I use the Philips Dreamwear nasal cushion mask but I have to wear a chinstrap with it. The hose is out of the way and there isn't much there.
I received the Philips Dreamwear full face mask today and initial checkout is that it could become my favorite mask, congestion or not.
Like everyone said, you need to try different ones and see which is best for you.

CPAP'er only since September 2017, so I have an excuse for being clueless.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Even though I've tried a few others along the way, this has been my "one and only" since I started therapy 13 years ago.
All the parts are replaceable and it seems to be very durable.
But, to reiterate, masks are very individual and what works for one may not work for someone else. It's also very important to get the proper sizing and adjustment.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 pm

DavidY wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Dave
Quattro Air is actually $105
Simplus $109
Airfit F10 $109

Dave

Ron AKA

Post by Ron AKA » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:03 am

I tried my son's used Mirage Quattro last night, but it didn't go well. I got small but annoying leaks that kept me from going to sleep. There also seemed to be a cluster of events when the pressure went up. I gave up on it after an hour and a half or so. I used the ResMed instructions to adjust it. My plan today is to follow the instructions in the "Taming the Mirage Quattro blog. Any suggestions you may have are welcome.

screenshot-20180410-092232.png
screenshot-20180410-092232.png (130.58 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am

Its all about personal fit and feel. I started with a Quattro which fit so well I hardly even needed straps. However, it felt heavy and large, so I tried the Quattro Air, which is smaller and lighter. Although it didn't fit quite as well, the overall feel was better, and I've been using the Air, with PadaCheeks for the last 4 years.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html