WTH My cat bit holes into the CPAP tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLH

WTH My cat bit holes into the CPAP tubing

Post by JLH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 am

The other night, my cat decided to use the CPAP tubing as a personal chew toy (she is 10 years old, so it is not teething). She punctured the plastic causes several holes resulting in air leaking out. I was able to wrap duct tape around the tubing to stop the leaking, then I wrapped the entire tubing in gauze to deter further gnawing. Has anyone else had this problem? What would entice a cat to do this? She did it one other night, but she was not able to puncture the tubing. She is normally very well behaved.

Pugsy

Re: WTH My cat bit holes into the CPAP tubing

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 am

She's a cat and you should know by now that cats do whatever they damn well please whenever they please. It's just the way cats are.
Maybe she thought it was a snake and wanted to kill it to save your life. :lol:

Yes...cats (and dogs) will sometimes look at this plastic stuff as chew toys for whatever reason.

Was this the heated hose or the cheaper non heated hose?

Will she do it again? Dunno...ask her...but probably yeah. It's in their nature.
I have one that persists on chewing electric cords and once totally destroyed the ethernet cord for my wireless router. My laptop computer cord right now....covered with a plastic sleeve to prevent further damage from her little teeth and hopefully prevent a zapped kitty. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am

JLH wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 am
The other night, my cat decided to use the CPAP tubing as a personal chew toy (she is 10 years old, so it is not teething). She punctured the plastic causes several holes resulting in air leaking out. I was able to wrap duct tape around the tubing to stop the leaking, then I wrapped the entire tubing in gauze to deter further gnawing. Has anyone else had this problem? What would entice a cat to do this? She did it one other night, but she was not able to puncture the tubing. She is normally very well behaved.
viewtopic/t170951/how-do-i-protect-hose ... itten.html

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 am

My solution: duct tape and a zippered hose cozy. 3+ years and going strong

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:51 pm

My cat goes from laying curled up on my bed to tearing around the room without warning. Only thing you can do is cover the hose and/or make it less attractive.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Our Siamese rolls over onto her back, giving the most believable "come hither" look.
Sadly, it is not an invitation, but a DARE.
Touch her belly, and she will MAUL your arm.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:06 pm
Our Siamese rolls over onto her back, giving the most believable "come hither" look.
Sadly, it is not an invitation, but a DARE.
Touch her belly, and she will MAUL your arm.
Dogs, on the other hand, just want a good belly rub. ;)

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Yeah, dogs are EASY.
OTOH, if that doggy mouth gets around anything, pretty good bet it's destroyed.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Train the cat.

You know the old story about a cat jumping on a hot stove........one and only time it did that.
You need to figure out some "consequence" for the cat to prevent it from doing damage to your equipment.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 pm
Train the cat.

You know the old story about a cat jumping on a hot stove........one and only time it did that.
You need to figure out some "consequence" for the cat to prevent it from doing damage to your equipment.

Den

Since Tabitha still gets in my face and attempts to gnaw my P10 short hose now and then, a "gentle" flick to the bridge of her nose gets the point across swiftly...

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I've always been a cat owner and know how unpredictable they can be. Right from the start, I took steps to reduce the chances of my cat, Declan, becoming interested in my mask or hose and damaging it.

What I do is curl my hose with my mask still attached on my mattress, and then lay the comforter over the the both of them. This leaves about 6 to 10 inches of hose between my device and comforter exposed.

Declan has never shown interest in it, but he is an older cat and isn't all that playful. All Declan likes to do is lay around all day and watch Ti-Cat football when they're on.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Just coat the hose with something that the cat finds tastes and smells objectionable, but is not dangerous. If you can't find any such thing on your own, call the vet.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 am

She's a cat. They love tubes. Mine suddenly took to chewing on the aquarium hose. Came home one day and 3/4 of the water was siphoned on to the floor. I would suggest a hose cozy as a first step. Also, determine if the cat is doing this because it's something new or because she thinks you are ignoring her.

My one cat nests on the hose, but most of the time, I have it slid UNDER the blankets to prevent this.

Wulfman, cats aren't exactly trainable. You can train them to stay off the counters, and they will - provided you are in the area. As soon as you go to bed at night, or go off to work, trail cameras will give evidence that they spend lots of time on said off-limits counters.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:10 am

Trying to figure out something the cat doesn't like to taste or smell...you might not have a hose left by the time you find out what it doesn't like. :lol:
Not to mention the fact that one cat might not have the usual adversions....I tried spraying the electric cords with something I got from the vet that cats were supposed to hate. Didn't stop my Callie from destroying another computer power cord. It was just easier and I felt better to wrap the power cord in the first place. I didn't want to find a fried kitty.
Funny thing...she doesn't even mess with the wrapped cords now. I think she doesn't like the feel of the stuff I used to wrap the cord.
And I don't have to worry about waking up to a fried kitty.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:40 am

To really destroy a cord, it takes a rabbit.
We had a rabbit decide they liked computer network cables & phone cords. No tooth marks, just chewed in two. :shock:

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.