sleep catch up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jules

sleep catch up

Post by jules » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:20 pm

what are the latest views on sleeping longer to catch up for lost sleep over time

Mr. Jules died in October. During those last couple months and for a while after his death there was not a lot of sleep. I am finally finding I am sleeping better - getting more hours in etc. Am I making up for lost sleep now or should I put a stop to those extra hours?

Julie

Re: sleep catch up

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm so sorry about Mr. Jules - it can take a long time to come back to whatever passed for normal prior to such a sad time, and maybe you won't do that but begin a new pattern altogether. It's not necessarily good or bad, but you should consider some things.

Are you wearing Cpap all the time? It would help to know a bit more about your situation. Sleeping longer (not intentionally) can mean your therapy's not optimal, or it can mean you're depressed, or that possibly something else is going on that you haven't looked into with your MD, but everything may be fine and returning to normal so unless you find you feel worse (than you used to when sleeping), or your AHI is a lot higher, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm

jules wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:20 pm
what are the latest views on sleeping longer to catch up for lost sleep over time

Mr. Jules died in October. During those last couple months and for a while after his death there was not a lot of sleep. I am finally finding I am sleeping better - getting more hours in etc. Am I making up for lost sleep now or should I put a stop to those extra hours?
You don't recover instantly, but it does happen, you get to your new equilibrium... If you're tired... sleep.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jules

Post by jules » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 pm

this week I have had a few really good (for me) nights of 6 hrs plus straight sleep on apap unheard of for years except with drugged - I am not as nearly restless as in the past - I am not having all the leg symptoms that have haunted me for years either

I admit to not using apap all night every night - I always go to bed with it and it lasts until around 5:30 or 6 am - I am down over 100 lbs since diagnosis and if anyone remembers my history (which I doubt anyone does) I was 4 years of diagnosis (severe AHI 71) before treatment with cpap

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 am

It sounds positive in what you describe. I think the effect you are wondering about, longer sleeping periods, is simply....treatment. Or rather, successful treatment, and it may be something to do with not having to fret or grieve, maybe both....quite so much any more. When our minds get more quiet, we can rest better, and the CPAP helps greatly with that.

I would be pleased if it were me. :D

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:42 am

When I saw your name pop up I looked to see if there was a new person with the same name. Good to see other oldtimers show up. If decent sleep is new to you, I personally think getting extra sleep is a blessing that you should feel free to enjoy. If it becomes a prolonged period of time that the amount of sleep you need is over what is expected, you may want to revisit it. It took me several weeks (a few months?) to wake up in the morning feeling ready to be awake. Until then my philosophy was to give my body what it asked for. Don't know what the medical field is saying about it these days, just my 2 cents.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 am

You didn't give a timeframe for the weight loss, but if it's recent, I'm sure has had a very strong effect on your sleep and Cpap. You should have a new sleep study to see where you stand in terms of needing Cpap, and/or at what pessures.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Jules.
I went thru the same sleeping thing as did my daughter when my hubby passed away. Slept long and hard for a couple of months, then things kinda settled down and we both got back to normal sleep times and wake ups. The shock to body and brain will do many strange things to us, after all we were used to having him around for forty some years and then not. Condolenses and blessings coming your way from our family to yours, things will get better. Great to hear from you again even if the circumstances are not so great.

Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.