Full Face Mask Problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Full Face Mask Problem

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm

I've been on CPAP since mid-february and really struggling with narrowing of my nasal passages and congestion blockages because of it.

But that's not what this topic is about. However if you do have some suggestions please look me up in my other topic.

I've been using a Nasal Mask and trying to convert to a FF Mask (and mouth breathe) when I'm too clogged up for the Nasal mask.

The problem I'm experiencing (and it happens every time I try the FF Mask) is what feels like my throat closing shut and then the pressure forcing it open. It even feels like the mask is popping up against the pressure. When it happens it occurs after an inhale as I start exhaling.

Summary:
  • Using AirFit F20
  • APAP 8-14 cmH20
  • Occurs with EPR and without EPR
  • Occurs whether I'm actually trying to sleep or just practising trying to get used to an FF mask
  • Occurs every time I have tried to use mask
  • Only happens when mouth breathing
  • Happens when I am wide awake and alert.
  • It makes sleeping impossible because the throat popping sensation instantly bring me back
I'm not sure if my throat is closing and the pressure is actually causing back pressure to pop the mask, but that's the best way I can describe it. I'm hoping its something else.

BTW when my passages are clear and I'm able to use my Nasal Mask, therapy has been terrific.

I've included last nights data and then a close up of the porting of the night where I was trying the FF Mask.

Here's last nights data where I had food therapy from approx 2:30 util 5:50 then woke up clogged.

Switched to the FF Mask at approximately 7. I ws awake but really tired. I might have fallen asleep but would have been getting startled away by this problem
Sleepy_1.png
Here's a close up of the time I was trying to use the FF Mask.
Sleepy_2.png
Any advice regarding mask, fitting, breathing technique anything that might allow me to mouth-breathe with a FF Mask is appreciated.

Rubyslipperss

Re: Full Face Mask Problem

Post by Rubyslipperss » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:14 pm

No experience with this but maybe you should just use the FF mask instead of switching on and off with the other one. Also, are you using the ramp function? How about the humidity? Other people can probably help you more but perhaps my comments will give you something to think about.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 pm

My .02 cents for what its worth..

Put the ff mask on when you go to bed and breathe thru your nose just like you normally would with a nasal mask. As the night wears on and if your nose clogs up, you will open your mouth to breathe, just like you most likely do with your nasal mask. You will be asleep and it shouldn’t bother you. If it does wake you up, sit up, allow your nose to clear, then go back to sleep.

I wear a ff mask and breathe thru my nose sometimes and thru my mouth sometimes. Either way, its all going down the same hole.

BTS

Post by BTS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:32 pm

What was said right above me here .. Excellent advice ... :D

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Since I got the ff mask, I've been trying to get used to it.

Breathing with my nose hasn't been a problem. But as soon as I try to mouth breathe the problem starts.