Anyone dealing with high CO2 levels during the day?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rob K

Anyone dealing with high CO2 levels during the day?

Post by Rob K » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm

I tried to search the forum, but I failed miserably. You can't search just the word "CO2". You have to include another word and I get a ton of results that are not related to CO2. I searched "carbon dioxide", but everything seems to be about masks and CO2 levels at night. I gave up and started a thread.

I've been tired, fatigued and low on energy most every day. My blood test from this week flagged a high CO2 level at 33mmol/L which might explain what's going on. Oxygen level was 96% maybe 20 minutes before they took blood. Has anyone dealt with high CO2 during the day? I guess it could be high at night also, don't know. Any chance it's related to my apnea and cpap use? I did an internet search and just got confused. What might cause high CO2 and what can be done to lower it? I'm waiting for some feedback from the doc.

Goofproof

Re: Anyone dealing with high CO2 levels during the day?

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:58 pm

All I know about my CO2 is I exhale the excess and have been doing that for 73 years, and plan on doing it for years to come. Plants like me to exhale it., the ozone layer, not so much.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Some drugs, including prescription and over the counter, can increase or decrease carbon dioxide levels in the blood. Sleep apnea can cause mild increases in carbon dioxide levels, and I guess when chronic over a long period of time, it can become more problematic. And of course, diaphragmatic muscle weakness (such as ALS or any type of neuromuscular disease), lung disease, and/or obesity can cause CO2 retention.

I wouldn't try to worry too much, 33 mmol/l is a mild increase - the range of what's considered normal values varies by medical office often times (i've seen 32 being on the high range of normal).

How you fix high CO2 in the blood depends on the cause. If you are taking a drug that suppresses respiration, causing hypoventilation, then you stop the drug. If you have a neuromuscular disease, you use a bi-level machine or ventilator to prevent apnea (if present) and also blow off CO2 via pressure support.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 pm

If you block the CO2 vents with bedding, etc. when asleep you will rebreathe it... make sure they're clear.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 am

Rob K wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm
Any chance it's related to my apnea and cpap use?
Nope.

Take a few deep breaths, your CO2 level will decrease, it's that fast.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

So nothing to be concerned with. Thanks for the clarification.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:47 am

Rob K wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm
So nothing to be concerned with. Thanks for the clarification.
I'm not saying it's not something that might need attention, I'm just saying it's not related to cpap use at night.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 am
Not that number. Since the UOM is mmol/L, that value is composed chiefly of -HCO3, and that needs some fairly significant things to happen for it to change.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 am

Rob K wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm
So nothing to be concerned with.
Most laboratories give a normal high value of 28-29, so IIWM I'd like to know what's going on.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 am
palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:13 am
Not that number. Since the UOM is mmol/L, that value is composed chiefly of -HCO3, and that needs some fairly significant things to happen for it to change.
I sit corrected... significant things such as?

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:11 am

Stuff that causes either metabolic alkalosis (prolonged vomiting, diuretic use, or hypokalemia) or compensated respiratory acidosis (COPD, restrictive lung disease, neuromuscular disease, or obesity).

The theoretical normal -HCO3 is 24 (ph 7.40 and pCO2 40mmHg) so one of those is changing. So you can go -HCO3 28, that's high normal, maybe there's some lab that says 30 is still OK, but at some point you have to ask why.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Remember the guy who was obsessed with hypocapnic breathing?
Betcha he's dead now.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Got some feed back from the doc. Says level is borderline high and not to concerning. He said we will keep an eye on it.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Rob K wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:28 pm
Got some feed back from the doc. Says level is borderline high and not to concerning. He said we will keep an eye on it.
Using the H-H Equation, your pCO2 works out to be 55 mmHg, which IMO is concerning.

Just sayin'.

derek_305

Post by derek_305 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

I have had this show up on blood work too; while I am no doctor I believe mine is caused by something congenital where one side of my diaphragm doesn't move. For me it's likely been there all my life and my body has learned to compensate for it.

To put you're mind at ease I had a level of 31 about 6 years ago and I've been Ok, I've been having a lot of anxiety lately about some crackling noise I hear early in the morning while lying on my left side (my heart is perfect) and that took me to the x-ray that found the diaphragm thing, and that's when I studied my old bloodwork. Also when you are anxious your CO2 rises and your SPO2 will be lower. any SPO2 over 95 is normal and no "clinical" doctor will do anything unless it's under 90.

I have 2 pulmonologist appointments this month to ask twice about it and either treat it or forget about it. Hope this helps.