What is "acceptable" leak rate?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
John1409

What is "acceptable" leak rate?

Post by John1409 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:03 pm

I had 3 large leak sessions last night of about 10 minutes each. It may have been mouth breathing. I'm not concerned as it usually doesn't happen and my AHI was 0.47.
I'm confused by all the numbers.
My Resmed Airsense 10 shows Happy Face.
Myair at Resmed.com deducted points for it and shows 30 L/min.
Sleephead statistics page shows Average Leak Rate of 6.05, 90% Leak Rate of 24.00, and % of time above Leak Rate threshold of 9.04%.
Sleephead daily page table shows Leak Rate 95% of 31.20 and Leak Rate Max of 36.00.
I think I saw that Resmed Happy Face is set at 24 L/min. If that is correct is that average, 95%, or what? And Happy Face doesn't seem consistent with Myair 30 L/min.
And why would Sleephead track 90% Leak Rate on one page and 95% Leak Rate on the next?
Is myair graph of 95% Leak Rate or what?
And what is considered "acceptable"?

CPAP'er only since September 2017, so I have an excuse for being clueless.

palerider

Re: What is "acceptable" leak rate?

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:22 pm

John1409 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:03 pm
I had 3 large leak sessions last night of about 10 minutes each. It may have been mouth breathing. I'm not concerned as it usually doesn't happen and my AHI was 0.47.
I'm confused by all the numbers.
My Resmed Airsense 10 shows Happy Face.
Myair at Resmed.com deducted points for it and shows 30 L/min.
Sleephead statistics page shows Average Leak Rate of 6.05, 90% Leak Rate of 24.00, and % of time above Leak Rate threshold of 9.04%.
Sleephead daily page table shows Leak Rate 95% of 31.20 and Leak Rate Max of 36.00.
I think I saw that Resmed Happy Face is set at 24 L/min. If that is correct is that average, 95%, or what? And Happy Face doesn't seem consistent with Myair 30 L/min.
And why would Sleephead track 90% Leak Rate on one page and 95% Leak Rate on the next?
Is myair graph of 95% Leak Rate or what?
And what is considered "acceptable"?
the happy face shows any time your leak rate is below 24lpm for 70% of the night, so you don't get the frowny face until your leaks are WAY outta control.

Part of sleepyhead's problem is that it's got a split personality... Resmed does things one way, Respironics does things another way, and depending on what part of sleepyhead you're looking at, the defaults are set for one or the other. It's confusing, and annoying. (and sloppy programming).

If the leaks aren't over the 24lpm for more than 5-10% of the night, and they're not bothering you, they're not too bad... but it'd still be better if you could get them lower.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.