How Much Sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rubyslipperss

How Much Sleep

Post by Rubyslipperss » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:21 pm

I have always needed more sleep than the “average” person. Less than 10 hours and I feel like doggy doodoo. Now that I have a modern and efficient CPAP and mask, I find myself sleeping 11-12 hours a night! And, I feel so rested when I wake up you would not believe it. I have autoimmune hepatitis with liver damage (Cirrhosis not caused by drinking) that effects how I feel. The extra sleep seems to help at least a little.

They say older people tend to need less sleep but at 70, I seem to be the exception. I feel like I dream a lot too. Anyone else need a lot of sleep?

mesenteria

Re: How Much Sleep

Post by mesenteria » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Not to be cute, but a lack of sleep, real sleep, seems to be the big raison d'être for everyone here. None of us has slept well until we were treated properly. Some of us now sleep better, and maybe even longer. I don't know about the better part, but I have begun to sleep longer since about the first of March (started PAP in late December).

I never did sleep long, although I slept well according to how I felt. I awoke having dreamt most mornings, so at least I got that much out of my 5.5-6.5 average hrs.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:34 pm

You may be making up for lost time! Yes, most on Cpap tend to need less sleep once on it, but everyone's different. You could check with your MD re any other recent problems, etc. and/or get some new labs done to be sure nothing else is going on.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:05 pm

It could be sleep debt from years of not sleeping well, as was already suggested. It could also be due to your liver issues.

Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.