Really concerned with cleaning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Personxyz

Really concerned with cleaning

Post by Personxyz » Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 am

I have a cleaning question that’s bugging me so I hope you guys can help me out.

Regarding cleaning the mask, I’m worried that the often recommended cleaning solutions of water+baby shampoo and/or vinegar aren’t sufficient. Baby shampoo isn’t anti-bacterial and whilst vinegar has some anti-bacterial properties it’s not that strong. It’s also diluted in water when used to clean mask parts which reduces its potency even further.

The reason I’m concerned is basically due to bacteria being present on the mask. I know that the mask will never be completely sterile but I’d like to keep bacteria to a minimum and avoid a build-up of it over time. All the air we are breathing in throughout the night is going directly through our mask. I don’t want to be sending to my lungs a large amount of bacteria each night.

My main concern are the parts that go directly over our mouth and/or up our noses, we will be breathing bacteria onto them throughout the night. Also the tubing attached to the mask seeing as our exhales will inevitably send some bad bacteria down that tube even if we have good dental hygiene. I know there are vents but I doubt all the bacteria is simply dispersed by these vents. If anything the vents will also have quite a bit of bacteria present on them.

I’ve read that you’re not supposed to use anti-bacterial soaps to clean your equipment and there also seems to be some concern online about the negative health effects from using these types of soap.

However, what’s a good alternative that can ensure that most of the bacteria on the mask parts are removed? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I’m unsure.

Julie

Re: Really concerned with cleaning

Post by Julie » Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 am

The more bacteria you remove the weaker your immune system will be. You live in a world of bacteria (not all good, but by no means all bad) all day long out there - you can't possibly scrub it all away and shouldn't. You'd be better off to learn a little DIY CBT to address anxiety if anything and stop worrying about random 'bacteria'. Our parents did not live in a Lysol soaked world and lived to tell about it - and we should try to emulate them.

amenite

Post by amenite » Thu May 03, 2018 3:55 am

If you are human, you have more bacteria organisms living inside on the surface of you body than you have human cells in your body. You're more bacteria than human by that measure. Basic hygiene practices will be fine. You're worrying over nothing.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 am

Popcorn anyone?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 am

Personxyz wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 am
I have a cleaning question that’s bugging me so I hope you guys can help me out.

Regarding cleaning the mask, I’m worried that the often recommended cleaning solutions of water+baby shampoo and/or vinegar aren’t sufficient. Baby shampoo isn’t anti-bacterial and whilst vinegar has some anti-bacterial properties it’s not that strong. It’s also diluted in water when used to clean mask parts which reduces its potency even further.

The reason I’m concerned is basically due to bacteria being present on the mask. I know that the mask will never be completely sterile but I’d like to keep bacteria to a minimum and avoid a build-up of it over time. All the air we are breathing in throughout the night is going directly through our mask. I don’t want to be sending to my lungs a large amount of bacteria each night.

My main concern are the parts that go directly over our mouth and/or up our noses, we will be breathing bacteria onto them throughout the night. Also the tubing attached to the mask seeing as our exhales will inevitably send some bad bacteria down that tube even if we have good dental hygiene. I know there are vents but I doubt all the bacteria is simply dispersed by these vents. If anything the vents will also have quite a bit of bacteria present on them.

I’ve read that you’re not supposed to use anti-bacterial soaps to clean your equipment and there also seems to be some concern online about the negative health effects from using these types of soap.

However, what’s a good alternative that can ensure that most of the bacteria on the mask parts are removed? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I’m unsure.
So, are you generally a germophobe that sees filth in everything, or are you just freaked out because something will be touching you?

Where are those bacteria on the mask coming from? *FROM YOU*.

Your fears are completely unfounded in science.... in fact, they're founded in lawyers 'advice'.

Anti-bacterial soaps have fallen out of favor because they don't do any measurable amount better at sanitizing surfaces than regular soap does, but they DO end up exacerbating the antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.

You're COVERED in bacteria... (if you weren't, then you'd be continually suffering with ringworm, jock itch, athletes foot, thrush, and other fungal infections, because the bacteria living on your skin and in your mouth are at war with the yeasts and other fungi than are trying to colonize your body.

In other words, the best way to help you with your irrational fear is to tell you to forget about it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

esel

Post by esel » Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 am

Hi Personxyz

Many people here have that same worry. It is understandable as we cannot see them with the naked eye. However they are important...

amenite wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:55 am
If you are human, you have more bacteria organisms living inside on the surface of you body than you have human cells in your body. You're more bacteria than human by that measure. Basic hygiene practices will be fine. You're worrying over nothing.
As amenite wrote, we have a lot more microorganisms in and on us compared in cell numbers. Weight wise it is 7 to 10 pounds, roughly 5% of our weight. May be important is to understand that this symbiosis is crucial for our health. We not only have lots of bacteria we also have protiste, fungi, viruses as well. On top we have viroids (naked RNA molecules), scrapie a protein (the mad caw disease) as well as signaling molecules that play around with our health. Then you have fleas, worms and ... which mistake us as a host and often dye in miserable conditions. That sad, there are parasitic ones and really dangerous ones out there you sure would like to avoid.

Our biggest mistake today is to clean too much. It is right that some hygiene has extended our life expectation. But more and more articles are showing how important this microbiome is and specially how important the diversity is. We specially get sick if one or very few take over and the diversity is drastically reduced. The microbiome is a big study field and may soon be used to diagnostic our health condition.

As to cleaning your equipment, water and any standard soap will do. Many people started with lots of cleaning and ended up with little to very little cleaning. Your bugs are yours and soon you may realize you will want to keep them. Diet is a major player as to your gut microbiome and where ever the food comes from it will come with their bugs.

You may want to be more careful with dust, pollen, fine particules which carries most of them you inhale every were. You stock pile them in your hairs and at night on your pillow you will breath them in ...

For me and it really surprised me I am much less often sick using CPAP than before. And I do not clean... too lazy... except for the wax, dead skin cells and the dirt on the mask when it does not seal well any more. :)

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 am

I was especially concerned with cleaning at first because I have a variety of autoimmune issues, and I’m on a medical routine that suppresses my immune response. I’ve become more careful in general for the past few years because of this, so when I started CPAP 2 ½ years ago, I was really concerned. (I even got a SoClean. I know, I know.)

Now ... laziness, if that’s what it is, has won out. I go over my mask in the morning with a wipe. I top off my water tank each day and empty it completely maybe once a month and let a vinegar solution sit in it for a couple of hours. As for the hose, well ... should I be embarrassed to say that I’m not really sure when I cleaned it last?

I totally understand the concerns when just starting out. It just hasn’t seemed necessary to continue that level of concern over time.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 03, 2018 7:50 am

Personxyz wrote:
I don’t want to be sending to my lungs a large amount of bacteria each night.
What do you do when you go out of your apartment?

esel

Post by esel » Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:50 am
Personxyz wrote:
I don’t want to be sending to my lungs a large amount of bacteria each night.
What do you do when you go out of your apartment?
He now will keep the mask on and carry the CPAP :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

Personxyz

Post by Personxyz » Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks for all your replies.

I suffer from pretty serious OCD so I go overboard with a lot of things. It's something I'm working on improving. I'm aware of how irrational my actions often are but the compulsion to do them remains hard to overcome.

You've all explained the logic of why I'm overreacting very clearly so I will resolve to just use baby shampoo and water.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 03, 2018 9:12 am

Baby wipes daily and washing weekly are all that is needed.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 am

If you feel better using antibacterial soap, then use it. Peace of mind is a good thing. I like the way baby shamooo smells, and I like the way antibacterial soap makes me feel I did a better job of getting the gunk off the mask. So I use the Antibacterial soap first for a good clean, then a little baby shampoo to add a pleasant scent. I am not a over worried about the germs, it just I feel baby shampoo does clean the snot and oil off the mask.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 am

I've never used baby wash to clean my equipment. I use Dawn Dishwashing detergent. Does a great job removing bacteria and germs. My brother is immune system compromised and the health persons have all said that Dawn is good enough. Heck, I use it to wash the kitchen floor as other cleaners can make pets sick. As already mentioned, you have all sorts of germs and bacteria in your environment - you do not live in a bubble (I hope anyway) even if you are immune system compromised. I sympathize with your OCD. My late brother had OCD and it was very hard for him (and others).

If I am getting used equipment, I use that concentrated disinfectant that our sponsor sells when the stuff arrives. You can choose to get the large bottle for about $15; I'm still on my original 2 oz. bottle for $5. The hospital uses the same thing, different brand.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am

Personxyz wrote:

You'll have to continually tell yourself, and to give yourself permission, to wash the mask under running warm water and hand soap or dish detergent, or even the hand sanitizer if you need to take the edge off your OCD's effects on you. All of them, remember under running warm water, will do a good job of ridding the surface of a lot of (by no means close to all of..) the resident bacteria. Then, I don't know what you do about your nose and cheeks and lips because, as soon as you place your clean mask over them, the mask is contaminated again. Seems self-defeating, doesn't it.

If it helps or matters to you, I clean my mask about every three or four days as I described, dish detergent or pump hand detergent in the bathroom, and some running water and I let it air dry during the day....during which it still continues to get exposed to all the pollutants around us every second in every place. Seems self-defeating, doesn't it.

What is safe for your skin should be safe for your mask. Just avoid an oily or solvent-based products that might break down the mask itself.

BTS

Post by BTS » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Must be a really bad OCD thing saw your threads on the other forums too.. A lot of useful info in each.. Just relax the mask isn't going to kill you if you're not cleaning - sanitizing every day.. Hot water and soap, rinse, done...