FFM advice wanted - update with dreamwear flap question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Berks

FFM advice wanted - update with dreamwear flap question

Post by Berks » Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi :)

I just made this long thoughtful post with all sorts of helpful background information that was unceremoniously deleted. Don't you hate when that happens? Instead of trying to write out a whole other long post, I thought I'd just cut to the chase a bit more and hope any of you have some insight for me.

I want to try a FFM (explanation was deleted). Some things I think I really care about are no forehead strap, as quiet as possible, and being able to sleep on both my back and my sides. I've been looking at the Airfit F20, AirTouch F20, Dreamwear FFM, some other hybrid masks, etc. I'm overwhelmed with choices. Is there a reason I should consider one over others? Is there one that's known for being quieter? One that just simply won't work if you sleep on your side? Any reason I should or should not get the "for her" version of any FFM? I currently wear a small nasal pillow but don't know if that translates into needing a small FFM mask and don't know if a small regular or small "for her" is substantially different.

Any thoughts on why I should try one mask over another would be great. I realize people's opinions on this are extremely subjective but I'm suffering from paradox of choice to an insane degree right now and would love to have a reason to pull the trigger on one in particular.

Thank you!
Last edited by Berks on Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raisedfist

Re: FFM advice wanted

Post by raisedfist » Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm

The new dreamwear full face allows you to sleep in varying positions. With the F&P Simplus and other masks like it, I find you are rather restricted on sleep positions.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Go to Cpappillow.com for a different option allowing you to sleep on your side with a FF mask.

Berks

Post by Berks » Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
The new dreamwear full face allows you to sleep in varying positions. With the F&P Simplus and other masks like it, I find you are rather restricted on sleep positions.
Thanks! I'm really intrigued by the Dreamwear FFM. I really like my nasal pillows and like the idea of having my nose free...

So the air doesn't get pinched off when you turn on your side? I would have thought it would with the air coming through the face straps.

Also with the air coming through on your face - is it noisy?

klm49

Post by klm49 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Go to Cpappillow.com for a different option allowing you to sleep on your side with a FF mask.
Julie, Your link is no good. Domain is for sale....

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Thu May 03, 2018 3:52 pm

I would recommend the AirFIt F20 over the AirTouch F20 because the AIrFit is easier to clean and I didn't see much of an improvement in seal with the AirTouch. They use the same headgear. Nothing on the forehead. No problems with side sleeping with me.

Best wishes in your hunt,
MrsRinPDX

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Berks wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:43 pm
raisedfist wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Thanks! I'm really intrigued by the Dreamwear FFM. I really like my nasal pillows and like the idea of having my nose free...

So the air doesn't get pinched off when you turn on your side? I would have thought it would with the air coming through the face straps.

Also with the air coming through on your face - is it noisy?
I get plenty of air side-sleeping with the DreamWear FFM, but my pressure is set at 7 to 11.
A few people have mentioned that the DreamWear FFM might not work well for high-pressure users.

The air coming through the frame is like white noise for me. It's noticeable but not too noisy.
My wife (who does not use CPAP) says that my DreamWear full face mask is very quiet, and she is a pretty light sleeper.
I've been using the DreamWear FFM for six weeks now with no major issues.

After two years of struggling with CPAP mostly alone in a separate room, my wife and I are finally at a point where sharing a bed is becoming the norm.
That may seem like a little thing in light of the health benefits of CPAP, but for me that's the main reason I'm here.
It's a bit surreal that I can finally just enjoy sleep and move on to the next chapter of life.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon May 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Berks wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm
Hi :)

I just made this long thoughtful post with all sorts of helpful background information that was unceremoniously deleted. Don't you hate when that happens? Instead of trying to write out a whole other long post, I thought I'd just cut to the chase a bit more and hope any of you have some insight for me.

I want to try a FFM (explanation was deleted). Some things I think I really care about are no forehead strap, as quiet as possible, and being able to sleep on both my back and my sides. I've been looking at the Airfit F20, AirTouch F20, Dreamwear FFM, some other hybrid masks, etc. I'm overwhelmed with choices. Is there a reason I should consider one over others? Is there one that's known for being quieter? One that just simply won't work if you sleep on your side? Any reason I should or should not get the "for her" version of any FFM? I currently wear a small nasal pillow but don't know if that translates into needing a small FFM mask and don't know if a small regular or small "for her" is substantially different.

Any thoughts on why I should try one mask over another would be great. I realize people's opinions on this are extremely subjective but I'm suffering from paradox of choice to an insane degree right now and would love to have a reason to pull the trigger on one in particular.

Thank you!
You have already received 3 different recomondations...it's impossible for anyone to give you a realistic recomondation because everyone's face and circumstances are different. Go to cpap.com...click on FF masks and read the hundreds of comments on each mask.

Berks

Post by Berks » Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm

So I got the dreamwear ffm to try out tonight bit specifically says not to block the big holes in the front of the mask but when I exhale the flap close it off... Is that unsafe? It seems like the carbon dioxide is supposed to go out those holes but doesn't when the flap closes...

Thoughts? Help?

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Tue May 08, 2018 5:53 am

Berks wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm
So I got the dreamwear ffm to try out tonight bit specifically says not to block the big holes in the front of the mask but when I exhale the flap close it off... Is that unsafe? It seems like the carbon dioxide is supposed to go out those holes but doesn't when the flap closes...

Thoughts? Help?
You're probably hearing the anti-asphyxiation valves closing. When your machine first turns on, they close. If you should have a power failure while sleeping, pressure is lost, and the valves open, allowing you to continue breathing.

-Bill

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:17 am

Berks wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Thoughts? Help?
Those big holes are only for taking air in when you aren't hooked up to the machine or if your power goes off.

The carbon dioxide is expelled through the little holes on the front of the mask and through the vent at the top-of-the-head connection.

Zmartha

Re: FFM advice wanted - update with dreamwear flap question

Post by Zmartha » Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 am

fwiw, I just wrote on another post that it took me about 4 months to get used to cpap and i believe the new mask i changed to had a lot to do with it. It is a Dreamware ffm. But i know it all depends on face shape, etc., also. :)

Diagnosed mild apnea Dec, 2017
Was switched to AirCurve™ 10 S BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ from CPAP to BIPAP June, 2019
Dreamware Face Mask and Airfit N30i Nasal Mask

Berks

Post by Berks » Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 am

wm_hess wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:53 am
You're probably hearing the anti-asphyxiation valves closing. When your machine first turns on, they close. If you should have a power failure while sleeping, pressure is lost, and the valves open, allowing you to continue breathing.

-Bill
weroberts75 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:17 am
Those big holes are only for taking air in when you aren't hooked up to the machine or if your power goes off.

The carbon dioxide is expelled through the little holes on the front of the mask and through the vent at the top-of-the-head connection.

Makes sense. Thank you! I appreciate both of your responses!!

Zmartha wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 am
fwiw, I just wrote on another post that it took me about 4 months to get used to cpap and i believe the new mask i changed to had a lot to do with it. It is a Dreamware ffm. But i know it all depends on face shape, etc., also. :)
Thanks! I'm going to try it tonight for the first time!