Respironics DreamWear under the nose mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
atlcdn

Respironics DreamWear under the nose mask

Post by atlcdn » Fri May 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Just started using my new bipap machine with this new mask. I constantly have chest pressure and discomfort after using it. I just started using the machine in spite of having severe apnea for many years. I don't feel like I am getting any air. This mask has been out for eight months. Anyone having s problem with it?

BTS

Re: Respironics DreamWear under the nose mask

Post by BTS » Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Fill in your info on your profile first so others can help you ... Like what pressure are you at ... ?

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Fri May 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Feeling like your not getting any air is often a misconfugured machine will too low a starting pressure as BTS has said please complete your profile

atlcdn

Post by atlcdn » Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 am

Done...(as much as I know)
1116681_1.jpg
1116681_1.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 3467 times

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 pm

A setting of 4 is very low. Many people feel like they can not breath with this low of a pressure. Raise your minimum pressure to 6 or 7 and see if that helps.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

RonS

Post by RonS » Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 pm

I use the dreamwear and I love it.

I had a problem with Ti being set too low. I guess I generally breathe in long, slow and deep so the 2 second limit for inspiration was too low. Once I bumped that up to 3 seconds, all was fine. I think I average 2.2 seconds inspiration.

As an aside, when I went for my second cpap titration study I kept complaining to them that "the machine keeps shutting off" and the new hose they were trying on me was flexible and not rigid, I could see the hose contracting as pressure was shutting off mid-breath. It took them a long time to figure out the problem. While they didn't tell me what the problem was, I assume it was the Ti setting since that's the problem I was having with my new resmed machine.

Previously I had been on old Respironics machines and never had encountered the problem.

Not saying this is the problem you're having, just relating a similar issue.

edatlanta

Post by edatlanta » Sun May 06, 2018 2:40 pm

This is the same mask I started using 90 days ago and is the only mask I have ever used.. My Fixed pressure is set at 7.0. Initially it was set at 4.5 ramping up to 7.0 after 20 minutes. After a few weeks use I couldn't tell if the unit was actually on at 4.5 so I turned it up to 5.0. This worked and eventually I bumped it up another 0.5 and am now starting at 6.0. During this process I started reducing the ramp up time from 20 minutes and now at 5 minutes.

I have been stable with this setting for the past couple of months so I guess I'm doing something right. I really think I could turn the ramp up off and just start at 7.0, but just haven't done it yet.

So far I am a very happy camper with the CPAP.

DreamWear Nasal Pillow headgear with Arms

atlcdn

Post by atlcdn » Sun May 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Thank you everyone. I just changed the nose pillow to a larger size and could breathe much better, too. My pressure starts at 4, for I think 20 mins, then can go to 14. It adjusts to my breathing ...or not breathing. I think so far it has been going to 12 ...but I'm new at this. (being able to breathe and stay awake most of the day) I'm so thankful to have found this group. I will read and learn. :)

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 pm

If I may make a suggestion...

Instead of having your pressure start at 4, change that to start at something like 6 or 7. You will find this much easier to drift to sleep with.

atlcdn

Post by atlcdn » Sun May 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks...others mentioned this, too. I'm going to try it. I didn't get the padding cover for the air tubes on the sides of my face and being a side sleeper, I hate the indentions on my face for hours after I get up, so end up trying to sleep on my back which I hate...that doesn't help. :)

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:40 pm

atlcdn wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:50 pm
Thanks...others mentioned this, too. I'm going to try it. I didn't get the padding cover for the air tubes on the sides of my face and being a side sleeper, I hate the indentions on my face for hours after I get up, so end up trying to sleep on my back which I hate...that doesn't help. :)
Welcome to the Forum!

I love my Dreamwear masks (both the nasal & gel nasal pillows), and they seem to work best for most people if they're fitted a bit looser rather than tighter.

If you're getting long-lasting indentations on your face, you may have adjusted the straps too tight. Try loosening them to the point where you feel the mask is just barely staying in place. If you get a bit of mask leak, rather than tightening the straps, try pulling the nasal cushion itself slightly away from your face, then letting it settle back into place. It needs to be inflated, and can't do that properly if it's tight.

And BTW, my only complaint on the Dreamwear is the tendency for the straps to slip up the back of my head. Some have solved this by putting bits of velcro on the back strap to the cling to the hair. With my longer hair, I just reach in and pull my hair out over the strap, sort of ponytail style.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 am

This is my favorite mask! Although I switch back & forth between 3 different masks. The Res-Med F10, Res-Med N20 & the Dreamwear nasal cushion. I switch back & forth because using only one mask irritates my face. My machine was set to start at 4 & ramp up to 7 over a 20 minute time frame. I shut off the ramp up & went from 7 to 8 on my air pressure. No ramp up as I didn't like it... Starts right at 8 & I love it. And, same as you, the Dreamwear size chart said I should wear a medium nasal cushion but the wide medium cushion fits better.... I'm new at this also.... Good luck! This site has a million dollars worth of info on it! Oh, I also have the Gel nasal pillow attachment but it's uncomfortable so I've never wore it.... Bill

atlcdn

Post by atlcdn » Mon May 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Thank you to both of you. It's so nice to get helpful info. I appreciate the advice so much. 🖒

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 07, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm very happy with this mask as well. It' tends to leak easily, but it's also very easy to reposition to stop the leaking, and it's very comfortable.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

atlcdn

Post by atlcdn » Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Yes, they are....my husband tried it snd now has an appointment this week to see about changing his for one of these. I told my hairdresser today about this mask and she wants to try it, as well.