Options to buy a second machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Liam1965

Options to buy a second machine?

Post by Liam1965 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 am

So, my Mom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, so I’m going to be traveling between NH and NC rather regularly. Because of this, I’d like to get a second machine that I can leave there rather than having to haul mine back and forth.

I have TRIED ordering one from cpap.com, but when I asked my sleep lab if they’d approve it, they said that I have to do another sleep study since it’s been almost three years.

This is dumb and I don’t have time. I have a ResMed AirSense 10 or Elite 10, it tells me every night that I’m having fewer than one event per hour, so I’m comfortable with the treatment and pressure I have, I just need somewhere to get another machine like the one I’m already using, by prescription, nightly.

So, does anyone have any ideas for where I could buy one? Maybe a used one, just so I can have one in both houses and not have to pack and unpack mine regularly (and potentially risk it being lost or damaged, etc)?

I’d buy it legally if I could, I have one legally, I’m just being thwarted by doctors for no justifiable reason.

(By the way, I have appealed and told them the whole story, so maybe they will have a change of heart. I’m just trying to investigate other options if they decide not to authorize me to have what I already have.)

Thanks,

Liam, who has a vague sense of deja-Vu.

prodigyplace

Re: Options to buy a second machine?

Post by prodigyplace » Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 am

I believe many people here have had good experiences with secondwindcpap. Some have bought used from Craigslist.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun May 06, 2018 6:42 am

After you stop traveling to the same place with such frequency, remember keep the second one on had as a spare.

Since you seem to have had it for three years, I assume that you're no longer in the compliance period. However, check with your insurance and/or your DME to make sure that you will not have a "compliance issue" for re-ordering supplies.

Last edited by D.H. on Sun May 06, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:44 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 am
I believe many people here have had good experiences with secondwindcpap. Some have bought used from Craigslist.
Good tip, thanks!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun May 06, 2018 7:05 am

Liam1965 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:44 am
prodigyplace wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 am
Good tip, thanks!
Sent a PM

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sun May 06, 2018 7:27 am

secondwind is a great site, but for a backup you can probably save some money by buying on ebay/craigslist/from the forums.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun May 06, 2018 11:44 am

Liam1965 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 am
I have TRIED ordering one from cpap.com, but when I asked my sleep lab if they’d approve it, they said that I have to do another sleep study since it’s been almost three years.

This is dumb and I don’t have time. I have a ResMed AirSense 10 or Elite 10,
/quote]

hey, liam. i'm a trifle confused. where did you buy the resmed? if it was from cpap.com, they should still have your prescription on file there and thus you could buy a second machine, no?

that way, you could just go around your sleep lab altogether.

or am i missing something?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:57 am

The original one came through the insurance company. So it was not cpap.com. And I'm not sure how to go around the sleep lab because they're the only ones that would write the script.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun May 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Liam1965 wrote:
(By the way, I have appealed and told them the whole story, so maybe they will have a change of heart.
Are you dealing directly with a doctor or just some office staff?

BTW, most internet DMEs just require a prescription of any date. It's some insurance companies that require a current prescription.

Here is one idea that would work with my DME, can't say about yours. I would call them to say I am coming by tomorrow to get a copy of my prescription (this would be your script for current machine). If they balk, I would say it's my right to have a copy of my script, and I expect to pick that copy up tomorrow. This idea came to me because I was waiting at my DME for a mask fitting last week, and a man asked for a copy of his script. The girl at the DME printed him a copy right away.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:33 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:26 pm
Liam1965 wrote:
(By the way, I have appealed and told them the whole story, so maybe they will have a change of heart.
Here is one idea that would work with my DME, can't say about yours. I would call them to say I am coming by tomorrow to get a copy of my prescription (this would be your script for current machine).
Great thought, thanks!

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Sun May 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Here in Alberta, I had asked my sleep clinic/DME...they wouldn't give me a prescription....they gave my sleep report however. They know that one can go online to buy an APAP unit for much cheaper. I will have to get my prescription from my family doctor on my next visit.

Dave

gwc2795

Post by gwc2795 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:30 pm

https://www.dotmed.com/listing/cpap/res ... et/2664446 this is one for $400. I have ordered several things from this website and they have been as described, no prescription needed. Your payment goes through paypal for protection.
Gerry

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Any doctor can write you a prescription for a cpap, and of course the sleep lap wants to get paid for an additional study.

My main machine is a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, and I wanted a second (cheaper) machine for travel and backup. I told my sleep doc exactly what I wanted and why, and he wrote the prescription that allowed me to purchase a Resmed Airstart 10 (total brick, no frills, only reports usage hours) for $350 from cpap.com. I get my data from my main machine 95% of the time, and know my therapy is dialed in properly, so who cares about data for the odd few nights here and there.

BTS

Post by BTS » Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm

DavidY wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:44 pm
Here in Alberta, I had asked my sleep clinic/DME...they wouldn't give me a prescription....they gave my sleep report however. They know that one can go online to buy an APAP unit for much cheaper. I will have to get my prescription from my family doctor on my next visit.

Dave
I'm in BC and the sleep Dr handed me the script along with it being sent over to the DME, if I wasn't covered I had the option to go which ever place I wanted, online or otherwise ...

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun May 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Liam1965 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:57 am
The original one came through the insurance company. So it was not cpap.com. And I'm not sure how to go around the sleep lab because they're the only ones that would write the script.
oh, okay. then i wholeheartedly second what chicago granny said. get your hands on that piece of paper. then you can go to cpap.com or anywhere to get your machine.

or as others have said craig's list and such....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg