Nasel vs Full Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
aherman18

Nasel vs Full Mask

Post by aherman18 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 pm

So,

I've been on the CPAP thing for about 6 weeks. For the first couple of weeks I was using a dreamwear nasal cushion. It was fine for a week or so, then I had severe congestion and switched to a dreamwear fullface. During this entire time AHI was between 10 and 15. I upped the pressure, especially the starting pressure and I did have some OK nights.

Well, I woke up fighting the full mask last night and for some reason I pulled out the nasal cushion. Even with some congestion, AHI dropped to 7 or so. Still high but much better.

Any clues why that might be?

I think the CA at the end were me waking up and not wanting to get out of bed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

screenshot-20180507-181638.png
screenshot-20180507-181638.png (118.68 KiB) Viewed 1052 times

Okie bipap

Re: Nasel vs Full Mask

Post by Okie bipap » Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 pm

My wife and I both see clusters of CAs just before getting out of bed. It is typical sleep/wake junk (SWJ). I would recommend raising your minimum pressure to at least 10 or 11.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 pm

When you were using the Nasal mask you were most likely losing your therapy out your mouth.

aherman18

Post by aherman18 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:17 pm

LSAT wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 pm
When you were using the Nasal mask you were most likely losing your therapy out your mouth.
I started with the full face, then later switched to the nasal.

Better AHI with nasal - do you think I was losing therapy but my AHI was decreasing?

Thanks for the input.

I will also raise the min to 10 and see what happens.

Thanks

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 am

A HIGH LEAK RATE will help indicate mouth leakage.
I have lower leak rates and lower AHI with a nasal mask (or pillows) than full face,
simply because full face masks do not fit as well, and tend to be more disturbing.
[[[YMMV]]]

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 am

I know it is obvious (or, it is to me), but would you not/should you not return to the nasal mask ASAP? I understand why you felt you needed a break from it. But, unless you have chronic congestion or are still sick, I would think you should get back to what was working best. I was warned off the full facial mask the second day when I declared that I wanted one. My first night was terrible with mouth leaks; I had selected the N20 mask. My therapist asked me to tough it out another few days because the full masks are historically more problematic for a wider range of users.

BTS

Post by BTS » Tue May 08, 2018 11:23 am

Unless I am sick and absolutely can not breathe through my nose FFMs have been the worst for leaks and experience for me .. I am on the P10 pillows and have no issues at all, IMO the best mask out there ...

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am

aherman18 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 pm
So,

I've been on the CPAP thing for about 6 weeks. For the first couple of weeks I was using a dreamwear nasal cushion. It was fine for a week or so, then I had severe congestion and switched to a dreamwear fullface. During this entire time AHI was between 10 and 15. I upped the pressure, especially the starting pressure and I did have some OK nights.

Well, I woke up fighting the full mask last night and for some reason I pulled out the nasal cushion. Even with some congestion, AHI dropped to 7 or so. Still high but much better.

Any clues why that might be?

I think the CA at the end were me waking up and not wanting to get out of bed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Your chart hides so much important information, please review the examples in my sig, and redo your chart, get rid of the useless AHI chart and the redundant mask pressure. we want to see flags, flow, pressure, leak, snore and flow limitations.

transitional apneas near the beginning and end are something to usually be ignored.

I'd raise the max to 20, and lower the EPR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am

aherman18 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:17 pm
LSAT wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 pm
I started with the full face, then later switched to the nasal.

Better AHI with nasal - do you think I was losing therapy but my AHI was decreasing?
For some people, a FFM pushes their jaw back, narrowing their airway, and causing their AHI to be higher, or needing more pressure. Since the nasal masks don't push back on the jaw, they may result in a more open airway.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

aherman18

Post by aherman18 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks all, I have a lot to learn.

I've always had congestion issues at night. When I wake up, with the nasal mask, nostrils are extremely dry.

Heading to doc in am for a checkup. Will see how that goes.