Still getting OAs...do my settings need tweaking?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scruffies

Still getting OAs...do my settings need tweaking?

Post by scruffies » Fri May 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I am 113 days into cpap. I am usually seeing AHI in the 1-2 range, mostly CAs and Hs; however, I am also still seeing some OAs which makes me wonder if I need to tweak the machine's settings a bit. I would appreciate some of the forum vets taking a look at last night's data to see if they would recommend any changes:

I am a side sleeper and use the Swift FX mask. Not sure what might cause the OAs given the 11-15 pressure setting or perhaps I should just be grateful for these results. Dunno.

Thanks for taking a look. If I need to enlarge something and post it just let me know.

LSAT

Re: Still getting OAs...do my settings need tweaking?

Post by LSAT » Fri May 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Stay with what your doing...You're fine...Quit worrying and get some sleep. You will NEVER completely get rid of apnea events.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm

During a PSG, an apnea is labeled obstructive when someone is trying to take a breath but can't. On the other hand, our home-treatment machines do not monitor effort to breathe, but, instead, label our apneas according to whether or not our airway appears to the machine to be mostly closed. That is useful for estimating the nature of the event, but it is not definitive. Therefore it is possible that harmless pauses in breathing are allowing your airway mostly to close so that the event is getting labeled by your machine as obstructive, according to its definition. Furthermore, if you are turning over in your sleep, it is possible you are closing your airway on purpose, similar to a grunt. Some of us do that.

These are only a few of the reasons that a sudden apnea in isolation that is labeled obstructive may not be something to be overly concerned about to the extent of attempting to over-stent or over-stabilize the airway with higher pressure(s), especially if the number of events is not trending upward over the long-term.

This is my overly-wordy way of giving a plus one to LSAT's post. :)
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 pm

This is actually pretty good.

However, if you want to try it, why not raise the max to 20. If you experience more clear airway events, or experience arousal, pain/discomfort, or leaks, then just put it back to where it was (or somewhere in between).

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

D.H. wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 pm

However, if you want to try it, why not raise the max to 20. If you experience more clear airway events, or experience arousal, pain/discomfort, or leaks, then just put it back to where it was (or somewhere in between).
And that is going to do what exactly, the machine is on Auto max 15 and the maximum pressure reached during treatment is less than 13....

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 pm

D.H. wrote:

What is your rationale for this D.H.? If he was hitting the max with events at the same time would be one thing, but he's not hitting his max. There are some changes that might help but I would just watch how the AHI and pressures trend for now, especially if you (Scruffies) are sleeping well.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Your data looks great.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 pm

Jas_williams wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm
. wrote:

And that is going to do what exactly, the machine is on Auto max 15 and the maximum pressure reached during treatment is less than 13....
Really, Jas, what do you expect from one of the local D-K poster children?

Stupid, ignorant, misleading 'suggestions' is their specialty!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm

scruffies wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:09 pm
I am 113 days into cpap. I am usually seeing AHI in the 1-2 range, mostly CAs and Hs; however, I am also still seeing some OAs which makes me wonder if I need to tweak the machine's settings a bit. I would appreciate some of the forum vets taking a look at last night's data to see if they would recommend any changes:
If you were going to do anything, you could bump up the minimum pressure a little, to smooth out the pressure line a bit.

However, under 1.5 is what I normally call "good enough"... Don't get caught up in the hunt for the elusive zero...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Fri May 18, 2018 8:17 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm
scruffies wrote:
If you were going to do anything, you could bump up the minimum pressure a little, to smooth out the pressure line a bit.

However, under 1.5 is what I normally call "good enough"... Don't get caught up in the hunt for the elusive zero...
Still getting some “obstructives” is what I was mostly concerned about, not the AHI number itself. I am not striving for a zero although it would be fun to get one sometime. Thanks for the suggestions.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm

scruffies wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:17 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm
scruffies wrote:

Still getting some “obstructives” is what I was mostly concerned about, not the AHI number itself. I am not striving for a zero although it would be fun to get one sometime. Thanks for the suggestions.
Well, enough pressure will prevent obstructives, but it may be less comfortable and more troublesome, .... like most things, it's a balancing act.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 pm
Jas_williams wrote:
. wrote:

I had to reply for the benefit of the original poster stupid suggestions by D.H. Get to me at times I often just ignore

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 pm
Jas_williams wrote:
. wrote:

I had to reply for the benefit of the original poster stupid suggestions by . Get to me at times I often just ignore
Correcting D-K poster children's drivel is a full time job, unfortunately.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 am

I believe that most algorithms ignore a single apnea on its own (especially one happening when pressure is above 10 cm, even when labeled "obstructive") and so should we.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.