Day two of CPAP, need advice/support/cookies...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
manydreamsnosleep

Day two of CPAP, need advice/support/cookies...

Post by manydreamsnosleep » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 am

Hi! I'm on the second day of CPAP ownership and frustration after a year-long process (the lab lost my sleep study results!) and many, many appointments. I guess the end is in sight, maybe? I'm 28, a working professional in the Boston area, and am about 30lbs. overweight. And I'm feeling awfully discouraged about this new addition in my life. At first glance, I'm wondering if there are other young-ish people with these, and if this is something I should be ashamed or feel badly about. For whatever reason, I'm taking this hard- I've enjoyed impeccable health for most of my life and this just feels like a tremendous setback or a reminder that the clock is ticking.

I also have usage/tip questions. I'm using the Phillips ResMed 10 with the humidifier, the auto settings, all the bells and whistles. It seems like a good machine for all the functions. With that, I'm using a nasal mask with a magnetic head strap, I think it's the AirFit 10. I don't really need the facial mask as I can breathe through my nose, and found that this was more comfortable than the nose plug mask. Per my insurance, I have to use the mask 4h a night, 7/10 nights, and they want me to get my AHI down from 5-6 to 4 (or anything under 5).

The first night, things were okay. I put the mask on and fell asleep, and woke up with it off, but I got my four hours. I felt pretty good the next day- upbeat and alert. Last night was discouraging; I put the mask on and fell asleep, but my partner came in later and turned the light on and I yanked the mask off. I was told that I was asleep, effectively, but was yelling and protesting about putting the mask back on and refused to put it back or wake up fully- which means I was getting a great sleep with it. After it was off, I fell asleep, but I woke up groggy and unaware and discouraged- I only got an hour in last night after all of that. My partner can't argue with me in my sleep, and as much as I hate this, I need to keep it on- how do I stop myself from yanking it off? I've read that people put socks on their arms or shirts over their heads. That's not an option for me, I need to figure this out without resorting to anything extreme or resign myself to having apnea.

Does this ever get better? If I lose weight, will I be able to get rid of this? I feel so discouraged and miserable and I don't know what to do.

Pugsy

Re: Day two of CPAP, need advice/support/cookies...

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am

manydreamsnosleep wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 am
I'm using the Phillips ResMed 10 with the humidifier, the auto settings,
Welcome to the forum.

Can't be a Phillips ResMed because that's 2 different brands mentioned
which is it
Phillips Respironics DreamStation Auto cpap....or a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet?
If unsure...give us the model number off the blower and we can tell you.
manydreamsnosleep wrote:
Does this ever get better?
Yes. All you complain of....we have all been there.
manydreamsnosleep wrote:
If I lose weight, will I be able to get rid of this?
Maybe, maybe not. All depends if your added 30 pounds is the cause of your airway being small or collapsing.
It's not always caused by being overweight. Lots of skinny people with OSA.....I weighed 110 lbs when I was diagnosed.
It is NOT just a disease/disorder of only fat people. It is NOT a disease or disorder of the elderly or middle ages...babies and children can have OSA and need cpap. Teenagers can have OSA.
It's all about the airway size and the patency of the airway tissues.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 am

Once you figure out exactly which machine you have please update your equipment profile like I have mine.
wiki/index.php/Registering_Equipment_in_User_Profile

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 am

No, losing 30 lbs won't get rid of Cpap or Osa (sorry!) but might let you lower the pressure slightly (tho' don't assume til you know better). Being able to breath through your nose does not mean you don't mouth breathe when asleep... and that's what FF masks are for - you lose Cpap air out of your mouth instead of it going down your airway... so you'll need to find out what's what when you use the software (Sleepyhead - free and the most comprehensive).

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize\

Don't rip off your mask every time your partner shows up... it's something you'll both get used to, laugh about (Darth Vader, etc) and learn to appreciate... you're not the first!

And it will all get much easier, more routine, once you''ve worked things out.

cpap626

Post by cpap626 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:45 am

At least you are getting good sleep with it! I was diagnosed with osa about 4 months ago and just recently I have been able to sleep with it on for 5 hours at a time. Consider yourself lucky that you adjusted to it so quickly! I have had all sorts of trouble and adjusting to the pressure, getting centrals, and the worst part is waking up every few hours and not getting the best nights rest with it on. I am a younger guy as well I really took it hard dealing with it. but the board had really helped me, if I didnt have the great members here, I would have given up a long time ago!

cpapmoma1

Post by cpapmoma1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

You are definitely in the right place here. If you hang in and listen to the good advice, you will find how to deal.

Virtual cookies and hugs are on the way :wink: My chocolate chip cookies are fantastic :)

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:10 am

cpapmoma1 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am
You are definitely in the right place here. If you hang in and listen to the good advice, you will find how to deal.

Virtual cookies and hugs are on the way :wink: My chocolate chip cookies are fantastic :)
Your post reminds me of a member who used to post a welcome wagon to newbies. :D
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101702&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 am

To the OP.

Please fill in your equipment profile. There is an inconstancy in your text. The profile is multiple choice, so you just have to pick the exact one. Also, that will appear on every posting you do, so we don't have to go looking at your old posting to see what you're using.

Last edited by D.H. on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

overshoot

Post by overshoot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 pm

I completely understand where you are mentally. I'm 35 and not overweight - and weight has nothing to do with my apnea. I got my results a few weeks back, and ended up having severe OSA, with almost 500 events, with an AHI of 63 (I just double checked). I mean, that is so high, that I can't even believe the test, and badly want to do another study that isn't at the house, but needless to say, as I've talked with countless nurses, resp. techs, etc. - I needed to get started with CPAP - not just because I was tired, but because it was dangerous. That fact has completely brought me closer to my mortality, and I get exactly how you are feeling.

I tried everything but the CPAP first as I bargained (dental device, wedge pillow, side sleeping, oximeter with alarm, nasal strips), but I finally started treatment last night.

I can't offer words of wisdom or experience, as I'm even 1 night newer than you are, but try and concentrate on the positives of this therapy (outside of it being more safe), such as the energy levels and general well being. It sounds like you have the same mask as me, with the magnetic straps, and the mouth mask, with just the pillows for the nose instead of covering it. It was a little hard to get off and back on in the middle of the night, but for me stopping the ramp, and instead just starting at a minimum I could tolerate worked well for me (8 in this case, with a 12 max).

I'm a little confused about what your issue is with your partner, or yanking it off, etc.? Are you saying that your partner isn't being supportive, or that it is irritating them and you have to restart the process, or you want a way to temporarily take off the mask so you can move away from the machine? Can you explain?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am
manydreamsnosleep wrote:
I'm using the Phillips ResMed 10 with the humidifier, the auto settings,
Welcome to the forum.

Can't be a Phillips ResMed because that's 2 different brands
Yup, it's like saying you're driving a chevy ford. :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Neicy

Post by Neicy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Welcome manydreamsnosleep!

You would think that we have great sleep docs and labs around here but sadly that's not the case quite yet. There's a lot to learn but this is the best place to learn all you need to know to manage your own treatment to get the best results you can. Just don't give up, try to be patient and go easy on yourself. In my opinion a lot of long time members on this forum really do have more knowledge than 95% of the clinicians out there. Take it a day at a time.

Additional Comments: 21/25 PS3 A work in progress.
Neicy
Non-treated AHI = 29 non-REM, 55 REM
Diagnosed Nov. 2011
Started CPAP Jan. 25, 2012

Corban76

Post by Corban76 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:19 am

Hi, I'm youngish, 37, and know 2 other guys my age with sleep apnea. They are good with their treatment but I'm still struggling alot. I'm 2 years into this and still have problems with my nasal pillow mask coming off among other things. I've had a few doctors prescribe anti-histamines or sleep aids to help me sleep, especially at the start of cpap. It seemed to help some, but the mask still comes off randomly. I've added another strap onto my mask, which didn't seem to do much. I'm also going to try tightening the straps and using smaller nasal pillows to see if that holds things in place better. I can't stand the full face masks, but the nasal pillows falling off isn't helping anyone. Keep at it. One day they'll figure out a better way, but for now its the best solution for sleep apnea. Take care!