Pets chewing/clawing at my cpap tubes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mystlady

Pets chewing/clawing at my cpap tubes

Post by mystlady » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 am

Re: my pet is eating/clawing my tubes

I recently adopted two new kittens and I recently found out they put a whole on my cpap tubes and mask. I had to replace a new ones and I got a new cabinet to put away my cpap stuff. I also closed the bedroom doors every night.
I happen to be a light sleeper and I ended up waking up at 3 or 4am in the morning because my husband snores, he took a sleep study but found nothing and the doctor told him to loose weight.
If I happen to sleep in the living room and my cats are still going after my tubes.
What else I could do?
I’ve looked through past posting and the members suggested to order through padacheek. I placed the order and spoke to them and they say they can’t guarantee if my cats will chew through my tubes again? Any advice?

Thank you

Esme

Re: Pets chewing/clawing at my cpap tubes

Post by Esme » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 am

I've had a similar problem with the family cat taking an undue interest in my heated CPAP hose. In the winter, I think it's the heat he's after, but he also has a tendency to chew on things so I keep him away from it at night. He's never shown an interest in the mask or headgear but if he did it would wake me up immediately. I lock everything away during the day so he can't get to it. I would think one of those fleece hose cozies would go a long way to keeping your hose safe, but I know kittens can be very persistent. I myself wouldn't hesitate to close the kitties up in a spare room with lots of toys for the night until they're old enough to behave themselves.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am

If you rub lemon or orange fruit or peel on the hoses they won't touch them.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:23 am

I have a cover on my hose to help with condensation. My kittens were pretty interested in my stuff prior to the hose cover. They don't really bother with it now. I have it put away and out of reach for them during the day.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm

They are kittens. They chew on everything. They will get bored with it probably at about 6 months or so. In the meantime, a hose cozy might be a good addition. You can also take a damaged hose, cut along the side and slide it over the current hose. That's what my sister did due to bunny chewing.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:53 pm

As was already suggested, put a coating on the hose that the cats don't like (but would not harm them). If orange juice or peel doesn't work, speak to your vet.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Rub the rind of an orange or lemon across the ridges.
Cats hate the scent.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 am

mystlady wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 am
Re: my pet is eating/clawing my tubes

I recently adopted two new kittens and I recently found out they put a whole on my cpap tubes and mask. I had to replace a new ones and I got a new cabinet to put away my cpap stuff. I also closed the bedroom doors every night.
I happen to be a light sleeper and I ended up waking up at 3 or 4am in the morning because my husband snores, he took a sleep study but found nothing and the doctor told him to loose weight.
If I happen to sleep in the living room and my cats are still going after my tubes.
What else I could do?
I’ve looked through past posting and the members suggested to order through padacheek. I placed the order and spoke to them and they say they can’t guarantee if my cats will chew through my tubes again? Any advice?

Thank you
I'd make your husband sleep in the living room... :D

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm

SewTired wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm
They are kittens. They chew on everything. They will get bored with it probably at about 6 months or so. In the meantime, a hose cozy might be a good addition. You can also take a damaged hose, cut along the side and slide it over the current hose. That's what my sister did due to bunny chewing.
+100 I have an elderly cat that still thinks my short hose for my P10 is a chew toy. I have a zippered hose cozy over the ClimateLine hose and she won't touch it, but the mask's short hose is a source of wonderment. A little love tap on the nose is usually all it takes to get her to back off, but she's an experienced houseguest. Kittens might need a bit more persuading...

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Let them investigate while the machine is on -- direct the airstream in their face. This has worked with all of mine discouraging them from clawing at the hose. I also use a microfleece hose cover.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Mine have only cared about the hose if they happen to be laying there, and I move, causing the hose to land on them. Then they think I gave them a kicker toy. But uusally, I am facing away from the machine, and the hose goes across my side. My cats tend to curl up in front of me, so they are out of the way of the hose. And they avoid where the vent sends air. The only time I have had a cat slap at the mask was when I stayed in a hotel room and had a friend's cat with me (I travel to cat shows). That cat slapped my mask twice while I was trying to sleep. It was pretty funny. No damage.

I do keep my machine, hose, and mask in a drawer during the day, so it is never out when I am not there.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 pm

RicaLynn wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm
SewTired wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm
+100 I have an elderly cat that still thinks my short hose for my P10 is a chew toy. I have a zippered hose cozy over the ClimateLine hose and she won't touch it, but the mask's short hose is a source of wonderment. A little love tap on the nose is usually all it takes to get her to back off, but she's an experienced houseguest. Kittens might need a bit more persuading...
My elderly cats like to lay on the hose. They take turns and have even fought over who gets to sleep on the hose. Makes turning over quite an event.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I brought a stray in. He thought the cushion of my N20 was a mouse!

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Cat put a claw hole in my mask hose. After I killed the cat I didn't have any more problems. (Just kidding but the cat did put a hole in the hose).