Swift FX for her mask observation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AMK

Swift FX for her mask observation

Post by AMK » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 pm

I have been using the Swift FX for her mask for years. I like it. It works fine. I got a new one this year. A few weeks ago I finally opened it. I put it on and adjusted the straps. It started to drive me crazy. I had leaks and it seemed like it wouldn't seat properly. 2 weeks or so of struggling ensued. I started to wonder if I needed to break up with this mask and find a new one. Finally I got out the old head gear from the old mask, which thankfully I'd saved, and attached that to the new pillow/tube. It sat perfectly and once again I was back to sleeping fine with it. I measured the two head gears to compare them. You can adjust the length of the silicone band and the cloth band. I discovered that with the new head gear, the silicon band was a half inch longer and the cloth part was a half inch shorter. I am surprised that such a minor variation made the mask almost unusable. I haven't tried the new head gear with the proper lengths...I'm too busy enjoying actually sleeping through the night and there's nothing wrong with the old head gear so I'll just keep using it. I'm wondering how many people struggle with masks when relatively minor adjustments might help. 'Cuz really, with the half inch differences, the mask became one I wasn't sure I could continue to use. Maybe it's just me. But I thought I would throw this out there in case it helps someone, because I myself always thought that you just throw the mask on and tighten the straps till it all seems to be in place, rather than this level of fine-tuning (I mean, a half inch, really?).

HoseCrusher

Re: Swift FX for her mask observation

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Glad you figured it out...

First rule of replacement is to never assume anything.

The name may be the same but "everything changes." Measure and even take a short nap to make sure everything is adjusted properly.

HD4me

Post by HD4me » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Lay the old headgear on it's side with nothing attached then lay the new headgear on top and adjust to be the same. The new one will stretch some until it gets washed and worn several times. I've used the Swift FX for over five years. Tried many others, always return.

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 pm

My dad used to say an inch wasn't much unless it was added to the end of your ......nose. There is not a lot of tolerance in mask fitting!

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Seems we need to face facts: things change sizes! :wink: