Scared new user

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Annieog

Scared new user

Post by Annieog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Just started on a cpap machine, not liking it. I was rushed to the hospital last week after my husband had to perform emergency cpr after finding me unresponsive early in the morning. Apparently, I had a seizure of some sort do to obstructive airways. I don't recall most of this experience. I lost two days of memory. So, I have the machine now and have been using it( makes me feel clautrophobic, but I deal with it) . My main problem is I'm afraid to sleep now do to nearly dying. Please help.

Bill44133

Re: Scared new user

Post by Bill44133 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 pm

You should start getting used to wearing the mask while sitting watching TV or reading.. Some other activity. You have to teach your brain that it is OK to have that mask on your face.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:33 pm

I can imagine after that experience you would be afraid to sleep. I had an incident once that kept me up for 3 nights being afraid to sleep until I slept out of sheer exhaustion. Hopefully you will be able to find comfort in the treatment protecting you from any danger that might come from sleep apnea. It can't fix everything that could go wrong, but treatment that is therapeutic can prevent the oxygen drops and stress hormone surges that can accompany apnea events. Maybe it could help if you get a copy of your sleep study... wait, I don't think you mentioned a study. If you had one, looking at what all is in it and knowing those things will NOT be happening any more while you sleep hopefully will be reassuring. A lot of people end up on CPAP after a medical crisis. Sorry you had to join that group, maybe some others will join in and share how they got past the fear of going to sleep.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:45 am

What kinda mask did you get? Are you a mouth-breather, or can you brath with you mouth closed. Please place your equipment in your profile.

Sheriff

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:38 am

Personally, I don't like having stuff above my nose or on my forehead....makes me feel claustrophobic. If you are not a mouth breather, I would start with nasal pillows first. There are only a few nasal pillows available....P10 is the most popular. Nasal masks is next. Some are more claustrophobic than others IMO. Dreamwear (has models for both nasal pillows and under the nose nasal mask) and the Wisp are two that I have. Other nasal masks like the Eson2 or Pico have headgear above the nose and on the forehead. I have all four plus the Dreamwear Gel Pillows (unopened) and rotate them on an irregular basis....depending on how I feel. I don't usually go longer for a week on a particular mask.

Dave

bearcatx16

Post by bearcatx16 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 am

Bill44133 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 pm
You should start getting used to wearing the mask while sitting watching TV or reading.. Some other activity. You have to teach your brain that it is OK to have that mask on your face.
What Bill44133 says is a good place to start. My first sleep study lasted all of 60 seconds, couldn't tolerate the mask. Sleep Dr. gave me a machine and mask to use with a set pressure of 7. The machine was placed next to my recliner and I put it on every time I sat down. It took me 5 months before I was able to fall asleep and remain asleep with the mask on. Hope you get things to working right for you as I dearly love my cpap sleep.
In the game of Life there is no two minute warning, just sudden death then judgment............Paraphrase Heb. 9:27 NIV
Not sure you believe in God.....just don't die.

cpapmoma1

Post by cpapmoma1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:02 am

Welcome. You came to a good place!
An event like yours can shake you to the core, but you will have support from folks here who have dealt with similar experiences and are doing well, with good advice.

The machine is there to help you breathe, and this forum is here to help with all the rest.
Hang in and do more of whatever you enjoy that keeps you calm!

You will become a "pro" in no time :D

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 am

Annieog wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm
My main problem is I'm afraid to sleep now do to nearly dying.
You die when you are not using CPAP. No reason to be scared now that you are using CPAP.

Annieog wrote:
Please help.
Start by filling out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

As we help you in this process, do not create new threads. Stick to this thread, so everyone can see your history.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 am
Annieog wrote:
My main problem is I'm afraid to sleep now do to nearly dying.
You die when you are not using CPAP [effectively]. . . . .

. . .
Note my addition.

So, my questions are, how does your mask fit (most machines can tell you that), and how was your pressure setting determined?

Last edited by D.H. on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:02 am

This what we've all experienced, except that it's a more extreme version thereof!

In your case, it's clearly dangerous to miss even one night, so I suggest getting a battery backup.