Bumpy waveforms?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Personxyz

Bumpy waveforms?

Post by Personxyz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 am

I'm currently looking through some of my flow rate graphs and I noticed something that seems to happen quite often throughout the night. I tried to search google for an answer but couldn't find one. It may be nothing but the waveforms seem to have a lot of bumps on them instead of being smooth. Does this indicate something possibly?
Attachments
Waveform bumps 1.png
Waveform bumps 1.png (70.11 KiB) Viewed 26994 times

dubito

Re: Bumpy waveforms?

Post by dubito » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:10 am

It could possibly be an inspiratory flow limitation. The ResMed scoring algorithm attempts to detect flow limitations by measuring the "flatness" and other characteristics of the curve relative to an ideal sinusoidal curve representing normal inspiration, but it isn't perfect and is more skewed toward scoring significant events. Of course, that's probably an oversimplification of the analysis being done because although your breathes mostly appear to have a similar two-peak shape, they aren't being scored the same.

In my opinion, if it isn't adversely affecting your sleep, then I wouldn't worry about it. But a more informed forum member may be able to offer more insights.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Personxyz,

As I said in reply to another thread not so long ago, this is called a 'saw-tooth' curve when it turns up on a spirometer (the machine that shows doctors a person's breathing pattern), and it is found in about 12 per cent of those with obstructive sleep apnea. And as far as I have read, it is of no great or clinical significance.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Personxyz wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 am
I'm currently looking through some of my flow rate graphs and I noticed something that seems to happen quite often throughout the night. I tried to search google for an answer but couldn't find one. It may be nothing but the waveforms seem to have a lot of bumps on them instead of being smooth. Does this indicate something possibly?
Looks like flow limitations to me. classic pattern.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Personxyx,
I've got a similar, yet more obvious version of what you show on your charts. I have a Dr appt in late July and plan to ask. As Rick said, there doesn't appear to be any clinical significance to it. Please see the post referenced below for a bit more information.

viewtopic/t171032/Any-ideas-on-whats-go ... =riverdave.

I plan to report back after I see the Dr.

RD