Rainout with Heated Tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
banjosnore

Rainout with Heated Tubing

Post by banjosnore » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 am

Its winter here in NZ but my ambient temperature with heater on is 23-20 then a heated tube settings at 26 and humidity at 7 I'm still getting a rain out.

1. Does ClimateLine heated tube should feel warm?
2. How do i test if its working? I know its getting detected by my Airsense 10
3. Any ideas whatelse I could do?

palerider

Re: Rainout with Heated Tubing

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:26 am

banjosnore wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 am
Its winter here in NZ but my ambient temperature with heater on is 23-20 then a heated tube settings at 26 and humidity at 7 I'm still getting a rain out.

Even at the hottest setting, it's still cooler than body temp, so, no, it doesn't normally feel warm.

Can you turn the tube temp up further?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

banjosnore

Post by banjosnore » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:02 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:26 am
banjosnore wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 am

Even at the hottest setting, it's still cooler than body temp, so, no, it doesn't normally feel warm.

Can you turn the tube temp up further?
Thank you palerider.
I've cranked it to 30 tonight and cranked my heater a little notch higher. Perhaps the rainout actually came from my breath?
I've used a infrared handheld thermometer. I can confirm now that the tube working.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:28 am

If the condensation was mainly in the mask then it is very possible that the moisture in your exhaled breath is a large factor.
This is especially true when we use masks that have short hoses attached to the long heated hose.
Your profile shows the nasal ResMed N10 and it has a short hose.

When we use a short hose attached to the long heated hose the air starts to cool down once it leaves the heated hose.
By the time it reaches your mask the hose air temp could drop down enough to not be able to hold onto the water and condensation happens.

I have this happen with my nasal pillow mask in the winter despite usually having the hose air temp at maximum during the winter.
I don't like to sleep in a too warm bedroom anytime and I tend to keep the house very cool especially in the winter because it's simply too hard to heat. It's an old farmhouse with minimal insulation and it's just hard to get it to stay very warm when it's cold outside.
I also prefer lots of humidity...all this means conditions are ripe for condensation somewhere.

Even now that it is summer I can still get some condensation in just the nasal pillows sometimes. That's probably mainly from my own exhaled breath.

You have several options..
See posts # 2 and 3 in this thread.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

The trick is to keep the air in the mask as warm as you can if that's the only place you are getting condensation.
More hose air temp...one option.
Warmer ambient bedroom temp...one option.
Those are usually the easiest to try. If they don't do the trick for some reason then sometimes using some sort of hose cozy on just the short hose works because it helps insulate that short hose so that the ambient room air doesn't get to the hose air temp to start it cooling down as much. Sometimes just enough warmth remains by the time the air gets to the mask that it will still be able to keep the moisture held in the air even when combined with your own breath moisture. Short hose cozies can be store bought but are real easy to make yourself. Doesn't have to be fancy. Couple of layers of fleece wrapped around the short hose and secured with something easy (I used plain scotch tape) will usually do the job and not had much weight to the hose. So another option.

With my mask there is also an additional product available to help insulate the mask cushion itself. Since I use a nasal pillow mask and the way they are made makes it prime candidate for condensed moisture to pool in the pillows. Extremely annoying to snort cold water when you are asleep...also annoying to get a cold shower mist out the vent holes on the mask and have it fall on your face. Both guaranteed to wake you up. :lol:
So I often use one of these barrel cozies and put a little coat on my nasal pillows. Super comfy against the skin...feels like silk.
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html
Now I know that they won't fit your mask but there is no reason that someone couldn't fix up something similar for their mask.
I show it just for an example and/or in case you ever want to try a nasal pillow mask.

So there are options...and sometimes we combined those options if needed.

For me reducing the humidifier setting is NOT an option because my nose really needs as much moisture as it can get to be happy.
For other folks it might be a workable option but it won't necessarily help if the moisture at the mask level is from our own exhaled breath. I know people getting rain out at the mask level who don't even use a humidifier so it's all from the moisture in their own breath.

So maybe just a little more hose air temp and ambient room temp will be enough...if not you have additional options available.
Rain out won't hurt you but it sure is highly annoying because it disturbs our sleep and anything that disturbs our sleep is unwanted.
And when it happens in the hose...the racket it makes will wake the dead. :lol: It's amazing how much noise a teaspoon of water will make in the hose.
And with the way the ResMed hose attaches to the humidifier...it doesn't drain so great so the old trick of keep the humidifier lower doesn't work. Not long ago I increased the humidity setting and thought I increased the hose air temp but accidentally went the wrong way. Major condensation in the hose was the result and it woke everyone in the house including my hubby who normally sleeps through anything. Holding the hose totally vertical wouldn't let the water drain out of the hose well enough to quiet the noise. It just wouldn't drain well enough with the way the hose attaches. I had to take the hose off the humidifier and shake it to get the water out of the hose enough to make it quiet again. So remember that if you ever get water in the hose causing a racket.
It used to be that having the humidifier lower would help because gravity would help but not so much now with the way the hoses attach to the humidifier depending on brand. With the ResMed AirSense...no help at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cands

Post by cands » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 am

I like a lot of humidity too. With humidity set at '6' I need to have the temperature at 30 during winter to minimise rainout. My bedroom is unheated and gets down to about 12C overnight. The hose does feel warm to the touch for the first 10 minutes or so after starting.

As Pugsy suggested, I have a 'cosy' over the short length of unheated hose that is attached to the mask. This definitely helps.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm

One of the things advised for a non-heated hose is to make sure that the CPAP is lower than your head. I would try that even with a heated hose if rainout is still an issue.

Last edited by D.H. on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 am

D.H. wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm
One of the hings advised for a non-heated hose is to make sure that the CPAP is lower than your head. I would try that even with a heated hose if rainout is still an issue.
Useless idea for the ResMed AirSense 10 machine....did you bother to read what I said about just that idea?
OP here...using the AirSense 10 machine. If holding the hose totally vertical doesn't let it drain...even if it was on the floor it wouldn't help.
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:28 am
And with the way the ResMed hose attaches to the humidifier...it doesn't drain so great so the old trick of keep the humidifier lower doesn't work. Not long ago I increased the humidity setting and thought I increased the hose air temp but accidentally went the wrong way. Major condensation in the hose was the result and it woke everyone in the house including my hubby who normally sleeps through anything. Holding the hose totally vertical wouldn't let the water drain out of the hose well enough to quiet the noise. It just wouldn't drain well enough with the way the hose attaches. I had to take the hose off the humidifier and shake it to get the water out of the hose enough to make it quiet again. So remember that if you ever get water in the hose causing a racket.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:16 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 am
D.H. wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm
Useless idea for the ResMed AirSense 10 machine....did you bother to read what I said about just that idea?
OP here...using the AirSense 10 machine. If holding the hose totally vertical doesn't let it drain...even if it was on the floor it wouldn't help.
I do not think D.H. has graduated to bother to read in many cases. :(

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.