Fitting DreamStation Auto & Gear in Travel Bag?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MurrayNevada

Fitting DreamStation Auto & Gear in Travel Bag?

Post by MurrayNevada » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm

I have a Respironics DreamStation Auto that I want to use for travel. The travel case it came with is rather small. How is one to fit the DreamStation APAP (and that is without the humidifier), power pack & cords, hose and mask into this thing? I was never great at geometry and this has me baffled. Any ideas?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Fitting DreamStation Auto & Gear in Travel Bag?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm
Respironics DreamStation Auto that I want to use for travel. The travel case it came with is rather small.
My understanding is the DreamStation comes with a "carry bag" not a travel case.

Maybe, something like this would work for you - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... fcase.html

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Since the machine that you want to take along is not the one in your profile, I assume that this is a machine just for travel. There is a special carrying case available for the Dream Station that fits the main unit, a smaller cord (provided with the case) that can only draw enough power to power the CPAP (not the humidifier), and presumably enough room for a hose, a mask, and an extension cord.

Assuming that you're traveling within the U.S. Canada, and most places in the Americas, you will not need an adapter.

The first thing to do (if you haven't already), is to sleep with that machine and see that it works and that you're comfortable with it.

Another thing to do is make a dedicated packing list for the CPAP bag. You would not want to forget a piece that would prevent you from being able to use the machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm
I have a Respironics DreamStation Auto that I want to use for travel. The travel case it came with is rather small. How is one to fit the DreamStation APAP (and that is without the humidifier), power pack & cords, hose and mask into this thing? I was never great at geometry and this has me baffled. Any ideas?
One of the things I like about the Resmeds over respironics is that Resmeds come with a well padded travel case. Respironics don't, you have to buy something separately.

So, as far as not being able to fit things in there well, it's not you, it's them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 pm

If you are talking about the regular carry case for the machine, the DreamStation with humidifier attached should fit into the larger compartment in the base of the case. The power brick and cord go in the smaller compartment with the velcro-tabbed flap. The hose(s) can be coiled to slide into the mesh pocket on the inside of the carry case lid, and the mask may fit in there as well, or perhaps sitting on top of the machine. It depends on the mask. Or put the mask in the mesh pocket and coil the hose(s) on top of the machine.

Here's an image: https://www.cpapstorelosangeles.com/wp- ... -cased.jpg

Happy trails,
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:30 am

Based on the description from the OP, I suspect that (s)he has the travel bag that I described in my earlier posting.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am

Based on the description from the OP, I suspect that (s)he has the travel bag that I described in my earlier posting.

No, but I just ordered one from our sponsor.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am

No, but I just ordered one from our sponsor.
If you don't have the humidifier (or chose not to bring it), that case should work for you. It has a lighter cord, too.

edatlanta

Post by edatlanta » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:15 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 pm
If you are talking about the regular carry case for the machine, the DreamStation with humidifier attached should fit into the larger compartment in the base of the case. The power brick and cord go in the smaller compartment with the velcro-tabbed flap. The hose(s) can be coiled to slide into the mesh pocket on the inside of the carry case lid, and the mask may fit in there as well, or perhaps sitting on top of the machine. It depends on the mask. Or put the mask in the mesh pocket and coil the hose(s) on top of the machine.

Happy trails,
Jean
This is the procedure I use with mine and it all fits nicely.

DreamWear Nasal Pillow headgear with Arms

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 am

edatlanta wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:15 am
Soothest Sleep wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Happy trails,
Jean
This is the procedure I use with mine and it all fits nicely.
Decent travel cases have *at least* a half inch of padding, and separate compartments for the blower and humidifier, so that the connection between them isn't stressed while being jostled around during travel.

Does the regular case for the dreamstation provide that?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 am
. . .

Decent travel cases have *at least* a half inch of padding, and separate compartments for the blower and humidifier, so that the connection between them isn't stressed while being jostled around during travel.

Just checked mine. It does not!

Note that I have traveled quite a bit (nine different countries and multiple hotel transfer within countries) with it and, thus far, nothing has happened.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am

. wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 am
palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 am
. . .

Just checked mine. It does not!

Note that I have traveled quite a bit (nine different countries and multiple hotel transfer within countries) with it and, thus far, nothing has happened.
That's one of the differences that you get with Resmed machines, they come with travel cases. that are well padded, to protect the machine against unfortunately happenings while traveling, Respironics, you pay extra.

Sure, you can drop your machine in a plastic grocery bag and use that for travel, and most of the time, you'll be fine. But when someone shoves their bag into the overhead and knocks your machine out, onto the deck of the plane, .... the padding from the travel case, and having the parts in separate padded pockets may very well make the difference in being able to use it that night, or having to get it repaired.

Think of it as insurance. Most of the time, you don't need it. But, when you do...

Jeramief

Post by Jeramief » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 am

I have 2 machines as I am away from home every other night. So I keep my travel machine in my travel bag and have a travel case. I also carry extra supplies a spare mask and a spare frame for my mask also cleaning wipes and a extra filter. It seems redundant but for me it works. My travel case is for Dreamstation go and it is a hard shell bag made for travel.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 am

I received today the aforementioned DreamStation CPAP Travel Case. It did come with a smaller power brick and the DreamStation machine fits perfectly into its intended space. That said, I could not fit mask, hoses, etc., into the case without forcing the case to close. It is a nice enough hard shell case but I was very surprised to see just how small it was upon opening the shipping box. This discovery is unfortunate in that I was planning to take my DreamStation on an upcoming trip and the bag Respironics ships with their machine is totally unsuited for travel.

So now I will be traveling with my ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. ResMed ships the AirSense machine with a very nice padded travel case. It is quite roomy and I was able to pack everything into it with room to spare with the exception of the humidifier. The optional side panel fixes that problem and I never use humidification. This is all probably for the best as the DreamStation magnifies my inhales/exhales to an aggravating degree. The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is silent on inhale/exhale and I am not disturbed by the sounds. I don't understand why Respironics doesn't make their DreamStation to be enjoyed without the Darth Vader breathing sounds.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 am

MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:28 am
I don't understand why Respironics doesn't make their DreamStation to be enjoyed without the Darth Vader breathing sounds.
That sounds like you have Flex (exhale relief) enabled.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats