Article from local newspaper, so disappointing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Arlene1963

Article from local newspaper, so disappointing

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 am

This article appeared in my local newspaper yesterday.

A friend who knows I use CPAP phoned me this morning and asked me how on earth I managed to sleep with it on, and how awful it sounds, having read the article.

I've suggested repeatedly that she considers having a sleep study because she had a heart attack about 4 years ago and has tremendous difficulty now with sleep and she is waking up more frequently to use the washroom.

This article certainly didn't help me to convince her, since she believes now that CPAP is a fail for many, and also she doesn't snore "explosively" to quote the article! :roll:

Very disappointing to read this kind of article. It was put out by the Associated Press and has appeared in quite a few newspapers in the USA as well, in a somewhat longer and more detailed version.

When I think of how many people will read this article, and how many it will influence negatively to consider going for a sleep study and even trying CPAP it makes me feel sad.
Screenshot (19).png

Rob K

Re: Article from local newspaper, so disappointing

Post by Rob K » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am

The article basically states that therapy is not easy. I would agree that getting xpap therapy dialed in and getting used to everything is not easy. That's why so many people end up here on the forum. It takes time, patience and a fair amount of help from the more experienced. It still is easier than dealing with the health affects and consequences of not having any therapy.

Definitely not the article you want your friend to read when making decisions about their health. We need all the positive reinforcment we can get when dealing with sleep apnea or any health problems for that matter.

Last edited by Rob K on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am

Unlike any place in the U.S. that I'ma aware of, Ontario (where the OP is from), will pull your driving licence (Canadian spelling) for untreated sleep apena.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 am

D.H. wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am
Unlike any place in the U.S. that I'ma aware of, Ontario (where the OP is from), will pull your driving licence (Canadian spelling) for untreated sleep apena.

Here is info relating to this. It is very much at the discretion of one's personal physician, and only in cases of severe, untreated OSA.

http://sleep-clinic.ca/patients_resources/mot/

C-Pop

Post by C-Pop » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:37 am

This one's worse:

"Sleep apnea's CPAP machine doesn't cut heart risks, study says"
https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/29/health/c ... index.html

Source paper, I think:

"Association of Positive Airway Pressure With Cardiovascular Events and Death in Adults With Sleep ApneaA Systematic Review and Meta-analysis"
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2643307

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 am

D.H. wrote:
DH ...... unfortunately .... you misread my post about the Ontario Driver's Licence and Sleep Apnea........uncontrolled sleep apnea is reported by the Doctor to the DMV; from there the report is reviewed and a determination is made. Uncontrolled is different from untreated. I.e. my first sleep study indicated an AHI of 9. The sleep doctor, at that time , did not recommend treatment. Although my sleep apnea was untreated it wasn't uncontrolled, and he didn't report my condition to the DMV. Subtle difference, but your interpretation is misleading.

In Ohio, medical restrictions for suspending a license are listed in more generic terms such as low O2 levels, loss of consciousness etc.

lamar2217

Post by lamar2217 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 am

Cpapian wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:10 am
D.H. wrote:
DH ...... unfortunately .... you misread my post about the Ontario Driver's Licence and Sleep Apnea........uncontrolled sleep apnea is reported by the Doctor to the DMV; from there the report is reviewed and a determination is made. Uncontrolled is different from untreated. I.e. my first sleep study indicated an AHI of 9. The sleep doctor, at that time , did not recommend treatment. Although my sleep apnea was untreated it wasn't uncontrolled, and he didn't report my condition to the DMV. Subtle difference, but your interpretation is misleading.

In Ohio, medical restrictions for suspending a license are listed in more generic terms such as low O2 levels, loss of consciousness etc.
Cpapian - Nice respectful response to a disagreement with another's post. Civility does exist on this forum. Thank you.

jamesbond007

Post by jamesbond007 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:53 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 am
This article appeared in my local newspaper yesterday.

A friend who knows I use CPAP phoned me this morning and asked me how on earth I managed to sleep with it on, and how awful it sounds, having read the article.

I've suggested repeatedly that she considers having a sleep study because she had a heart attack about 4 years ago and has tremendous difficulty now with sleep and she is waking up more frequently to use the washroom.

This article certainly didn't help me to convince her, since she believes now that CPAP is a fail for many, and also she doesn't snore "explosively" to quote the article! :roll:

Very disappointing to read this kind of article. It was put out by the Associated Press and has appeared in quite a few newspapers in the USA as well, in a somewhat longer and more detailed version.

When I think of how many people will read this article, and how many it will influence negatively to consider going for a sleep study and even trying CPAP it makes me feel sad.

Screenshot (19).png
I skipped right to the last paragraph and the one before and found the dude owns stock in the THC pill company. Didn't bother to read anything else on that piece of paper. I am not a doctor and I do not understand how chemical reactions work to be able to judge. But if I were to read it as a lay person, the article says SA occurs when the muscle relaxes (which we know) and somehow they are using THC to treat it? My wife has a Master's in Pharmacology and she was scratching her head. But she admits that there might be chemical interactions that she may not be aware of.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 pm

It's not a very good article at all and belongs at the bottom of a trash can, IMO! For example, someone called "Redline" is quoted and yet no info is provided re who this person is, or why we should believe a word he/she says. :roll:

I guess it rankled me because my friend's view probably reflects what a lot of folk who casually read this article will think about CPAP and the treatment of OSA, and it will very likely deter them from considering testing and treatment.

I went for a long swim after I posted this and while I was swimming I thought "why not write a letter to the paper?" Swimming helps me to find solutions sometimes ....

So I am going to write a letter to the newspaper and describe how much of a difference CPAP has made to my life, and that you don't have to be a loud snorer to have OSA, and that contemporary CPAPs are incredibly quiet. I will also mention the benefits of online forums.

If nothing else it will make me feel better! :D

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 pm
It's not a very good article at all and belongs at the bottom of a trash can, IMO! For example, someone called "Redline" is quoted and yet no info is provided re who this person is, or why we should believe a word he/she says. :roll:

I guess it rankled me because my friend, I think, probably reflects what a lot of folk who casually read this article will think about CPAP and the treatment of OSA, and it will very likely deter them from considering testing and treatment.

I went for a long swim after I posted this and while I was swimming I thought "why not write a letter to the paper?" Swimming helps me to find solutions sometimes ....

So I am going to write a letter to the newspaper and describe how much of a difference CPAP has made to my life, and that you don't have to be a loud snorer to have OSA, and that contemporary CPAPs are incredibly quiet. I will also mention the benefits of online forums.

Good idea ..... or write them an article from your point of view. You might even get paid for it. :lol:

XPAP has improved my life. Only on it 1 short year. The difference is profound.

jamesbond007

Post by jamesbond007 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:

I guess it rankled me because my friend's view probably reflects what a lot of folk who casually read this article will think about CPAP and the treatment of OSA, and it will very likely deter them from considering testing and treatment.

That's a great idea. A strong tweet refuting the article works wonders these days. And, of course, all of us would retweet.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Regarding a quote near the end of this article cited to"Redline" That newspaper omitted an earlier citation that cited comments from Susan Redline, MD who practices at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. Dr. Redline is a noted physician who is a professor at Harvard Medical School and has had a long and respected career in Sleep Medicine. The full text AP article by Carla Johnson specifies Dr.Redline's area of practice. I agree that the article copied into the post is incomplete.

TheDuke

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:42 pm
Arlene1963 wrote:

That's a great idea. A strong tweet refuting the article works wonders these days. And, of course, all of us would retweet.
Maybe write on to their competitors too with your thoughts of articles like the one posted by others.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Arlene, next time you talk to your friend ask her if she noticed the part where they said "CPAP also improves quality of life, mood and productivity."

That seems like a good excuse to try and figure out how to use it.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:20 pm

As far as I know, everybody in Ontario has health coverage. Thus, I would hope that the diagnosis rate and the compliance rate would be higher than where that is not the case.