No CPAP related but def sleep related question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jjc155

No CPAP related but def sleep related question

Post by jjc155 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:39 am

I need a new mattress as I'm having issues with one of my hips. Finally got my Apnea under control, lost a bunch of weight and my RA is good but not my bad hip is killing me and effecting my sleep.

What bed/mattresses are you guys liking?

Thanks in advance
J-

Julie

Re: No CPAP related but def sleep related question

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 am

How on earth is what anyone of us are 'liking' going to help you? Even if you had the med. histories of everyone who answers = and we had yours (tho' we're not docs), it still wouldn't necessarily tell you what would be a good fit for you.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 am

I use an old style waterbed. That said, I did have hip pain several years ago. I had the bed long before then, and still do. The pain was not caused or helped by the type of bed.

The hip pain got worse over a few months, and was especially bad at night. It would wake me up if I tried to roll over or move around. It turned out that I had bursitis. I started taking Aleve twice a day, and the pain stopped. I was able to go down to once a day and then eventually off. That was years ago, and the pain has not returned.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:13 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 am
How on earth is what anyone of us are 'liking' going to help you? Even if you had the med. histories of everyone who answers = and we had yours (tho' we're not docs), it still wouldn't necessarily tell you what would be a good fit for you.
Thanks for the help. Lol. Sounds like you either need a snickers or some quality sleep.

J-

jjc155

Post by jjc155 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:18 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 am
I use an old style waterbed. That said, I did have hip pain several years ago. I had the bed long before then, and still do. The pain was not caused or helped by the type of bed.

The hip pain got worse over a few months, and was especially bad at night. It would wake me up if I tried to roll over or move around. It turned out that I had bursitis. I started taking Aleve twice a day, and the pain stopped. I was able to go down to once a day and then eventually off. That was years ago, and the pain has not returned.
Thanks.

I’m looking to reduce the pressure on my hip. I likely need to have my hip replaced but at 45 years old I’d probably have to have it redone again in my life so my dr suggested holding off as long as possible. Aleve, etc doesn’t even touch it and I’m not making the jump to opioid etc based pain meds.

J-

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:27 am

We have had various threads in the past where people have discussed what type of mattress or bed they find more comfortable for them but Julie is right in one regard....doesn't mean that it will work well for you.

I got a sleep number bed a while back and it has worked out well for me. My husband prefers a much firmer mattress than I do so we got one that is a split king...he gets to set his side for his preference for firmness and I get to set my side for my preference.
Another plus for me is that sometimes when I have various back issues I might want to change the level of firmness depending on what problem I might be having so with the sleep number easy way of adjusting firmness it has worked out well for me.
Yes, they are pricey but I got lucky in they offered it on a Black Friday sale for 50% off and it didn't take but a couple of nights for me to know it wouldn't be going back.

Whatever you decide on make sure it has a clearly defined return policy so if you hate it you aren't stuck with it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:33 am

jjc155 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:18 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:

Thanks.

I’m looking to reduce the pressure on my hip. I likely need to have my hip replaced but at 45 years old I’d probably have to have it redone again in my life so my dr suggested holding off as long as possible. Aleve, etc doesn’t even touch it and I’m not making the jump to opioid etc based pain meds.

J-
You might do better with an air type mattress. The hard part is that you really need to sleep on a different a few nights to know if you like it. Do you have any friends who have one that you could try? I am so used to my waterbed that a lot of hotel beds make me hurt. Some more than others. But I don't know that my waterbed is helpful to prevent pain or not. I have simply had it for 25+ years, and I like it. These days, when something hurts, I tend to blame it my age, activity, etc.

I would try different standard type pain medicines to see if any help you. For example, I have found that tylenol helps with muscle pain, but not joint pain. Aleve helps me with joint pain, but not muscle pain. Tylenol helps with some headaches, but Excedrin is better. And ibuprofen doesn't do a thing for me for any type of pain. Obviously, for other people that is different. So, you may need to try different pain medications to see if there is one that helps you with your type of pain.

There are also many cremes and roll on type pain relievers. A friend of mine was recently recommending Outback All-Natural Pain Relief Topical Oil, I have an elderly friend with really bad arthritis. He did get hooked on opioids, and was taken off them. He hasn't found anything to help his pain, so I ordered this for him to try. I am hoping it helps. He is 80 years old, and needs to work to keep busy.

You might also try heat or cold. Some people sleep with a heating pad to help something that hurts. If I have a backache or a bad headache., I throw a ice pack on it to get back to sleep.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:55 am

I spoke too soon - should have at least said that while airbeds are great for those needing support (front-sleepers like me), they don't offer relief to those with specific problem areas that are more likely to get relief from e.g. memory foam.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:19 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:55 am
I spoke too soon - should have at least said that while airbeds are great for those needing support (front-sleepers like me), they don't offer relief to those with specific problem areas that are more likely to get relief from e.g. memory foam.
You can still use some type of memory foam with the air bed. My sleep number bed has 2 different kinds of memory foam above the air bladder and under the mattress cover. It is a lot more than just an air bladder covered with mattress cover.
Not a solid really thick memory foam but about 3 to 4 inches (similar to a high density foam mattress topper) but inside the mattress and on top so the closest to the body. The 2 foam sections can be interchanged depending on the feel I prefer...one is a good quality egg crate type of memory foam and the other is a typical smooth memory foam. Between the 2 sections I have probably 6 inches or so of memory foam that I lay on between me and the air bladder support.

Mine is built in but there's nothing stopping someone from doing the same thing with a topper on top of whatever mattress a person has.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Fetou

Post by Fetou » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 am

I got the Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid in Medium. I really like it, and had 100 days to get my money back if I didn't.

https://www.nestbedding.com/collections ... 1053452305

For Sale Thread
Selling a couple like new machines at deep discounts. AirSense/AirCurve 10 models with low hours.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 am

bout' 5-6 years ago, I bought a Temperpedic. My wife balked at first but now she doesn't like to sleep on any other bed. It's funny.... every time I book a hotel room, she'll ask if the room has a Temperpedic! Every room in my house has a Temperpedic. I have had knee, back surgeries and will never go back to a conventional bed. It's all personal preference.

I think it's a good attitude to look at your sleep environment after successfully tackling cpap therapy. We spend nearly 1/3 of our lives sleeping in bed. Our body needs good-restorative sleep to be healthy, and our bed, ect.. is a part of it. I would look at the Temperpedic or the sleep number beds.

Sheriff

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am

jjc155 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:13 am
Julie wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 am
Thanks for the help. Lol. Sounds like you either need a snickers or some quality sleep.

J-
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

quiltybe

Post by quiltybe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:16 pm

If you are able, go to Hilton Garden Inn and sleep on one of their beds— the are made in New England by Natural Form
It’s an air mattress but not electric— I’m told the hospitals in New England use them— we love ours— my husband said he has less pain in his shoulder , aaand he actually stopped snoring!!!

gwc2795

Post by gwc2795 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:52 pm

It took over 5 years for me to be diagnosed needing a hip replacement, I could hardly walk. Bed time was awful. They prescribed diclofenac (generic for VOLTAREN) for me and I was on it for 8 years. It controlled the pain with 75mg pills twice per day. Be sure to drink a large amount of water as it is hard on the kidneys. I was able to put off hip replacement until I was 52. I am 71 and I do not regret the replacement at all.
In my case the mattress did not matter.

Gator5000e

Post by Gator5000e » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:12 pm

jjc155 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:18 am
zoocrewphoto wrote:

Thanks.

J-
Don’t wait on the replacement. If it’s affecting your life just get it done. Why live in pain because you don’t want another one later down the road or want to put it off for a while? I had my knee replaced when I was 57 and even though the doctor told me I might need another one if I don’t wait. I said let’s get it done. Best decision I’ve made. I want to be able to do what I want now. Not worry about what I will need in 15 years. Getting my other knee done in September.

As far as beds go, most of the online bed companies offer at least 100 day tryouts. If you don’t like it, call them for a refund and they pick the mattress up at no cost. Lots of sites provide reviews of mattresses as well. Rizknows.com, sleepadvisor.org are two of the good ones. There are others as well. I getting ready to pull the trigger on a Dreamcloud hybrid mattress. Dreamcloud offers a 365 day trial period.

Hope it all works out for you.