Is my machine toast?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Is my machine toast?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

Hi, everyone.

We had a very heavy thunderstorm recently, and I lost power in the wee hours, so I dozed in my recliner that night. Next night, my machine wouldn't power on, and I figure it got zapped in the storm. A few other electronics stopped working, too (floor fan, cable box, a couple of nightlights); weird thing is the zapped items were all plugged into different outlets (some in different rooms), and some other electronics that were plugged into the same power strip as my machine are still working just fine. :?:

I don't know or understand much about electricity. Thankfully, I've been using my old backup machine for a week now, and it does the job. But my newer (now non-working) machine is much more sophisticated, and I'd prefer to use it again if possible.

So my question: Is my zapped machine just toast? Or is there anything I can do to try and fix it myself? TIA
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

zonker

Re: Is my machine toast?

Post by zonker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am
Hi, everyone.

We had a very heavy thunderstorm recently, and I lost power in the wee hours, so I dozed in my recliner that night. Next night, my machine wouldn't power on, and I figure it got zapped in the storm. A few other electronics stopped working, too (floor fan, cable box, a couple of nightlights); weird thing is the zapped items were all plugged into different outlets (some in different rooms), and some other electronics that were plugged into the same power strip as my machine are still working just fine. :?:

I don't know or understand much about electricity. Thankfully, I've been using my old backup machine for a week now, and it does the job. But my newer (now non-working) machine is much more sophisticated, and I'd prefer to use it again if possible.

So my question: Is my zapped machine just toast? Or is there anything I can do to try and fix it myself? TIA
well, THAT sucks! :(

this is maybe a stupid question, but have your tried plugging the machine into a known working outlet?

as to repairs, there is a place online-

https://acbio.com/

i haven't used it, but i think pugsy and others here have.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

If it is toast, make sure you include it on your insurance claim. Zonker makes a good point. When our house got struck by lightning a few years ago, it not only fried some electronics, but it also burnt out some of the outlets and lighting circuits.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:58 am

some things are more sensitive to power surges associated with lightning than others on the same line. the transformer in the cord cuts the power from 120 to 12 volts for your machine, assuming it is PR. plug a meter into the output of the cord to see if its putting out 12 volts. if not, the cord may need replacing. it's possible the machine itself is ok and not getting power. also as already said plug it into a known working outlet. if using a power strip make sure the power strip is ok along with all of its plugs.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:02 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am
Hey you! Good to see you still around, even if it is an unfortunate occurrence.

I would see if you can get a replacement power supply *first*.

What's the old and new machine?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm

If you can't get it to work despite all the above suggestions...maybe time for a new machine.

I forget...didn't you tell your DME to go to Hell and just buy your own machine or did you use any insurance?

If using medical insurance you may be eligible for a new machine if this one can't be repaired without it costing an arm or a leg.

If paying out of pocket you may have some recourse with your home insurance and maybe get some dollars to fund a purchase of another machine at some place like secondwindcpap.com.

If it is just the power supply...I think I have one floating around somewhere for the 50 series machine...can't remember.
If I do you can have it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm

If you think it might be the power supply, see if you can check it at a DME, or post your general location, and see if somebody might be willing to meet you and try their cord on your machine. Might help rule it out without having to buy one first.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Not sure if it's recommended, but I have my CPAP unit hooked to a Medistrom battery backup and a Belkin power surge protector too.

Dave

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 am

well, THAT sucks! :(

this is maybe a stupid question, but have your tried plugging the machine into a known working outlet?

as to repairs, there is a place online-

https://acbio.com/

i haven't used it, but i think pugsy and others here have.

good luck!
Yes, it does suck! :lol:

Not a stupid question, and yes, I tried plugging it into several other outlets to no avail. Thanks for the info on abcio; waiting for a call back to get a rough estimate of repair costs.
greatunclebill wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:58 am
some things are more sensitive to power surges associated with lightning than others on the same line. the transformer in the cord cuts the power from 120 to 12 volts for your machine, assuming it is PR. plug a meter into the output of the cord to see if its putting out 12 volts. if not, the cord may need replacing. it's possible the machine itself is ok and not getting power. also as already said plug it into a known working outlet. if using a power strip make sure the power strip is ok along with all of its plugs.
Thanks for the info. I have no power meter to test the cord, so I don't know if it's *just* the cord that fried. I also don't have another power supply for the machine, so I can't test that, either. :( As I said above, the power strip (and other electronics plugged into it) is still working.
palerider wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:02 pm
Hey you! Good to see you still around, even if it is an unfortunate occurrence.

I would see if you can get a replacement power supply *first*.

What's the old and new machine?
Hey, PR. Haven't been here in awhile; hope you're well. :)

The old machine is a "tank" model Respironics ASV that I found on CraigsList back in 2009, I believe. It only had about 300 hours of use on it at the time. I used it for a few years until I was eligible for a new machine through the DME in 2012. (I remember having to prove to the DME that I needed an ASV machine, because their records indicated the bottom-of-the-line CPAP they'd first provided me with. I gave them weeks of data from the tank, and they provided the now-dead PR 950 that's listed in my signature.) The tank has almost 8K hours on it now. I hope it keeps chugging along and nothing untoward happens to it, because it's now my only machine.

I learned last week (first time in eleven years trying to sleep without a machine) that my apnea is still awful when untreated. (TIP TO ANYONE WHO'S RELATIVELY NEW TO THERAPY: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP MACHINE!)
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm
If you can't get it to work despite all the above suggestions...maybe time for a new machine.

I forget...didn't you tell your DME to go to Hell and just buy your own machine or did you use any insurance?

If using medical insurance you may be eligible for a new machine if this one can't be repaired without it costing an arm or a leg.

If paying out of pocket you may have some recourse with your home insurance and maybe get some dollars to fund a purchase of another machine at some place like secondwindcpap.com.

If it is just the power supply...I think I have one floating around somewhere for the 50 series machine...can't remember.
If I do you can have it.
It IS time (insurance-wise) for a new machine (unless the rules changed), since I acquired the 950 through the DME in 2012. Thanks for the offer of a new power supply, but since I don't know if what got fried was the power cord, the power supply, the machine (or all of them), save the power supply you might have for someone else who needs it. :wink:
zoocrewphoto wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm
If you think it might be the power supply, see if you can check it at a DME, or post your general location, and see if somebody might be willing to meet you and try their cord on your machine. Might help rule it out without having to buy one first.
Thanks, ZCP, that's a good suggestion.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:54 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 pm
Hey, PR. Haven't been here in awhile; hope you're well. :)

The old machine is a "tank" model Respironics ASV that I found on CraigsList back in 2009, I believe. It only had about 300 hours of use on it at the time. I used it for a few years until I was eligible for a new machine through the DME in 2012. (I remember having to prove to the DME that I needed an ASV machine, because their records indicated the bottom-of-the-line CPAP they'd first provided me with. I gave them weeks of data from the tank, and they provided the now-dead PR 950 that's listed in my signature.) The tank has almost 8K hours on it now. I hope it keeps chugging along and nothing untoward happens to it, because it's now my only machine.
Muddling through, the 950 uses a simple 12v power supply, with a very standard plug. It shouldn't be difficult to find a replacement at an electronics store, etc.. one of those 'universal' adapters with a bunch of different tips on them.

However, if you can take it to a local DME like ZCP said, you'd know if that was the only issue. (hopefully, it is).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:56 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I have no power meter to test the cord, so I don't know if it's *just* the cord that fried. I also don't have another power supply for the machine, so I can't test that, either. :( As I said above, the power strip (and other electronics plugged into it) is still working.
For the future Digital Multimeter Testers can be bought nearly everywhere for 10 to 15 dollars and can be used to test anything. There are even u-tubes that explain how to use it. a quick google showed one at walmart for 6 bucks.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm
...home insurance...
Duh, what a dunce! Forgot to add to my insurance. Guess that'll be tomorrow's task!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Just an update:

My neighbor has a power meter and offered to test my equipment for me yesterday. He happened to be outside watching the storm that night and said the last lightning strike was very close to my house. :shock:

Turns out the power cord and the power supply are okay, but the machine is fried. The DME is demanding a new prescription (although nothing about my therapy needs has changed from my last prescription), so I'll be calling my PCP in the morning. I haven't had to personally deal with the DME (outside of replacement supplies like filters and masks, which is just a phone call) for a long time, and I'm in no mood for a hassle, so I hope this goes well... Not confident, but hoping. :wink:

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm
The DME is demanding a new prescription (although nothing about my therapy needs has changed from my last prescription), so I'll be calling my PCP in the morning. I haven't had to personally deal with the DME (outside of replacement supplies like filters and masks, which is just a phone call) for a long time, and I'm in no mood for a hassle, so I hope this goes well... Not confident, but hoping. :wink:
Unless you're getting a great deal from insurance, I'd suggest checking out secondwindcpap.com, might save you a lot on the ASV.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:00 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Unless you're getting a great deal from insurance, I'd suggest checking out secondwindcpap.com, might save you a lot on the ASV.
My insurance will cover it, thankfully. 8)