Forest Fire Smoke

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul_H

Forest Fire Smoke

Post by Paul_H » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 am

There's now a lot of smoke from forest fires in the air where I live. The AQI (Air Quality Index) is the worst ever. Does anything think that hypoallergenic filters would do something for this (https://www.amazon.ca/Hypoallergenic-Di ... dpSrc=srch)?

I'm using just generic filters that I buy more cheaply than these, but it if I thought these would help, I'd order some. This seems to becoming an annual event in BC where I live, so if I didn't use them this year, I would use them in the future.

However, the fine particulate matter in smoke is very small - 2.5 micrometres or less, and i'm not sure if these filters would be effective for that size of particle.

Thanks for your thoughts.

prodigyplace

Re: Forest Fire Smoke

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:29 am

I doubt the filter would help but I expect you need to clean the vents on your mask frequently. I have that issue in the winter when we use our wood burning stove.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

knothead

Post by knothead » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Paul, just a thought, cigarette smoke can get odor into the cpap machine so with that in mind, just my opinion i would say the filters would not keep out the smoke itself but maybe keep particulates out. Hey its worth a try anyway. Good luck.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am

I have an idea - this may have been done by others but I'm not sure...

Try creating a fine filter box for your CPAP to rest in.

Get a bin for storing clothing that has a gasket around the lid. Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OXNISG/ref=dp_cerb_3

Filter idea - use an ultra fine high-grade filter - maybe even HEPA - something like a 12x12 that you could get to fit a plastic tub.
https://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Healthy ... lter+12x12

Take the 12x12 filter and lay it on top of the lid - draw an outline of the filter on the lid. Then draw another square about an inch smaller all around inside of that square. Cut out the smaller square.

Then get some double-sided foam tape like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-4013-2-In ... +foam+tape

Line one side of the air filter with the foam tape so there no gaps. Peel off the other side of the adhesive and then stick it to the opening you cut out of the lid being careful to line everything up. Cut out a hole in the side of the bin just big enough for your hose and another for the electrical plug. These holes can be filled in with some sort of foam or towels or what not. Use your imagination.

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Pro ... insulation

The idea is to create a sealed container that you can put your CPAP in were the only air it can draw in will be pulled through a fine air filter. I would think that this would protect your CPAP for a considerable amount of time from conditions such as those found near forest fires.

Hope this helps. Good luck with all the smoke.

Rest well,

Gryphon

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am

From an air purifying site:
"Selecting the Right Air Purifier for Your Smoke Concern
Choose an air purifier with a HEPA filter. HEPA filters deliver the best particle removal performance out of all different filtration types. Avoid “ozone air purifiers” and “ionic air purifiers” as these are not effective at removing fine particulates."

This makes sense, as HEPA filters are required to filter out any particle larger than 0.3 microns (micro-meters). Good news, as 90% of the particles in wood smoke is about 1 micron.
Important!
Fine filters can fill very quickly. Change them frequently--maybe even BEFORE they look dirty.
I know that our hypoallergenic filters are NOT HEPA.
Maybe somebody can provide the specs for them.
I know they do help when Kansas burns their prairie every spring.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Paul_H wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 am
There's now a lot of smoke from forest fires in the air where I live. The AQI (Air Quality Index) is the worst ever. Does anything think that hypoallergenic filters would do something for this (https://www.amazon.ca/Hypoallergenic-Di ... dpSrc=srch)?

I'm using just generic filters that I buy more cheaply than these, but it if I thought these would help, I'd order some. This seems to becoming an annual event in BC where I live, so if I didn't use them this year, I would use them in the future.

However, the fine particulate matter in smoke is very small - 2.5 micrometres or less, and i'm not sure if these filters would be effective for that size of particle.

They may not be 'effective', but I'd think they'd help at least somewhat.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 pm

I too am in your forest fire smoke and am adjusting to the new regime. I keep my windows closed, have changed my filters a couple of times.....just in case :wink: . The smoke had a 10+ rating around here and is pretty horrible, so am staying
in doors most of the time and using my machine to sleep... not easy but doing fine. We are getting the B.C. smoke and the
Glacier Park smoke since I live close to B.C and U.S. borders and the wind is coming from the south west right at us, can't even see the houses across the street right now. Not nice.. but there is nothing else we can do but put up with it for awhile longer.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:11 pm

During fire season I change my filters more frequently, I.e. biweekly or more often as needed. You may have heard about the Lolo Peak Fire in Montana last year? That was pretty much in my backyard. I changed my filters every two weeks during the height of the season, and maybe should have changed them more.

DavidGS

Post by DavidGS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:19 pm

news just said the N95 or N100 dust masks only work with fire smoke. I wonder if cutting one to fit would work?

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 pm

We're in the smoke too, here in Portland, Oregon. It drifts down from British Columbia or up from California.
I would agree with many suggestions previously mentioned. Adding a room air purifier with a HEPA filter is the way to go. (Ours has a pre-filter too.) We keep the windows shut, but even with those actions, I have noticed that my machine filters were dirtier than usual, so I would change them more often as well.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:01 am

Yes the BC fires are killing me. My lungs hurt on the really bad days. Currently hanging out in Vancouver and wow it is bad! Calgary is no better either and even Vancouver island has their own fires! Everywhere I've gone this summer there is smoke smoke and more smoke!

My CPAP unit is so new that I haven't had to change the filters yet. Just under 2 months but they look like new still. When filters start to clog up is there a visible color change like say how a furnace filter would look as get dirty?

Thanks,

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:03 am

CPAPSteve wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:01 am
When filters start to clog up is there a visible color change like say how a furnace filter would look as get dirty?

Thanks,
Yes.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Paul_H

Post by Paul_H » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:24 am

Paul_H wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 am

Wow, lots of replies! Thank you all. I'll just write this, rather than reply individually. In Duncan here we've had lots of 10+ air quality index days too.

Some good ideas there. I like the idea of making a box with a HEPA filter in it and placing my machine inside. I may look into that. I don't believe actual HEPA filters are available for the S9, or maybe any other CPAP machine. It might be that the small motors are too weak to draw air through a HEPA filter, or might be overtaxed.

Anyway, I'll look into whatever few options I have. I don't have air conditioning, and normally in the hot weather run a fan sucking air in my bedroom window at night to pull in cool night air, but I've not been doing that as I don't want to draw more smoke into my place, so it's been pretty hot at night in here too.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am

I'm also in the smoke zone in BC. Definitely change machine filters more often and clean the washable ones more often too. Last year when smoke season was on, I changed my fine filter twice in 12 days--it was black--when usually I can go for up to 6 weeks or so before it needs to be changed out. No air conditioning in my house, either, but I have a window fan in the bedroom that I can set to extract air from the room, i.e. suck the hot air out, rather than draw smoky air in (albeit is cooler air). Run the bathroom fans, too, to keep more airflow happening indoors.

Looking forward to the rain forecast for the weekend, even on my moving day. We really need the wet weather. And will likely be shopping for a HEPA room filter after I'm settled in the new place, to be ready for next year. Such a different weather pattern for the summers now than when I was young and growing up here. One summer was memorable because we had 40 days straight of rain, but most were a good mix of wet and dry, with only a few scorching temperature days.

Keep a good thought for the firefighters.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats