cleaning machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Prez585

cleaning machine

Post by Prez585 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Looking for info on a machine to clean my CPAP equipment....my face started breaking out with pimples where the full face mask sits. Any info would be appreciated.

CPAPSteve

Re: cleaning machine

Post by CPAPSteve » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Cleaning is pretty simple. I use CPAP mask wipes and wipe down the mask each morning after use. If you don’t want to use wipes and you do NOt have a memory foam cushion then you wash the mask cushion with some mild dish soap and warm water.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Prez585 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Looking for info on a machine to clean my CPAP equipment....my face started breaking out with pimples where the full face mask sits. Any info would be appreciated.
Do not get a SoClean machine - they don't clean anything.

Wash mask daily with warm water and mild, non-fragrant soap. I'm currently using a mild dishwashing liquid. Rinse with water and allow to air dry on a clean cloth or paper towel out of direct sunlight. Before using mask at night, wash your face thoroughly and don't use facial moisturizers. For your face, use a non-comedogenic soap. I prefer Cetaphil or generic Cetaphil.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Prez585 wrote:
Soap and water is all you should use.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:11 pm

So Clean's a known scam... do a forum search on it in case you're tempted to throw away $300 by commercials.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Try a mask liner. www.padacheek.com. That will put cloth between your skin and the mask.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:13 pm
Try a mask liner. www.padacheek.com. That will put cloth between your skin and the mask.
I second the mask liner proposal.
Washing is simple, but some dermatitis may be due to chemical traces that resist washing.
Silicone is supposed to be free of oddball stuff; but QC is all over the board.
You may eventually develop a tolerance, but why hurry? :?

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm
Prez585 wrote:
A couple squeezes of Dawn and warm water weekly. I let all the washable parts soak for about 20 minutes, maybe some light rubbing and then set out to dry and cold water rinse.

No problems.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Midwest_non_sleeper wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm
Prez585 wrote:
A couple squeezes of Dawn and warm water weekly. I let all the washable parts soak for about 20 minutes, maybe some light rubbing and then set out to dry and cold water rinse.
Yup! The main thing you want to get rid of is facial oils... and "dawn cuts grease". :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:13 am

At bedtime, I wash mask with Dawn, rinse, spray with white vinegar, let sit for a minute or two (gets rid of Dawn residues & disinfects), rinse well, air dry. Meanwhile, I wash my face to get rid of oils, etc. This pretty much guarantees a good seal.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:36 am

I wipe my mask down every morning with Pampers baby wipes for sensitive skin. Probably wash, soak and rinse my cushion in Dawn maybe twice a month.

Sheriff

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:20 am

You won't find much support for any supposed "cleaning machine" here. Primarily I think, because most have actually researched them. Virtually every commercial I have seen (they're on late night TV a lot) state you don't need to clean anything. Whereas, quite the opposite is true - the most common brand's instructions say to clean thoroughly before putting items through the "cleaning" process. Go to https://www.soclean.com/wp-content/uplo ... l_RevE.pdf and take a look at page 7: Getting Started the very first thing they show is pre-washing your equipment (your xPAP gear, not the "cleaning machine's" gear). That's not the only way they insult one's intelligence - in addition to telling you washing is not needed, then instruct you to "pre-wash equipment" but they instruct you to wash with their proprietary "pre-wash" liquid at $18 a cup. You can buy a lot of Dawn for that 18 bucks, let alone the $300 for useless machine. But, do what you want - after all, we all know they couldn't put it on TV if it weren't true. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Prez585

Post by Prez585 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input.....