Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Okie bipap

Re: Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 pm

My wife and I both tried the Dr. Dakota Collar Device, and sent them back. We both have arthritis in our hands and found the firm cervical collar to be easier to get on and off.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:06 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:52 pm
Mine came with two Velcro straps. One is much longer than the other. I think that using the longer strap, at its max. you could possibly hook it up then slip it over your head. You could then tighten it and be good to go. You would have a lot of the strap left over but that shouldn't be a problem.
That sounds like a possibility. I'll try it. I also have severe arthritis in my hands, so being able to do the hooking before I get it behind my neck would definitely be better. Otherwise, I might end up having to send mine back, too.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:48 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:45 pm
zonker wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:20 am
MurrayNevada wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:07 am
I had a great last two nights with the Dr. Dakota device. It's like a soft cervical collar but doesn't wrap all around the neck. AHI was more than cut in half (0.42 & 0.48) but the best part is I slept seven hours straight without any arousals I am aware of. Hope this continues.
please keep us updated on the device. i'm curious as to how long it will maintain it's firmness. i have next to no experience with memory foam.

with the cervical collar, i get roughly three months out of it before i have to replace it. it's cheaper at around twelve bucks.

but would like to compare length of use time.
It is very firm and I do not see it breaking down any more that I see my memory foam mattress or pillow doing so. Another benefit I experienced with it is no dry mouth and this is without my usual Chin-Up strip or XyliMelts tabs on my gums. I was also at a lower pressure the last two nights and think that may be responsible for no remembered arousals during the night.
if it would be A GUARANTEE that i would sleep with no arousal's, i'd pay a LOT more for it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:43 pm

I just ordered one from the Dr. Dakota website (https://snoringstopbydrdakota.com/) and am looking forward to trying it. I don't know how many things I have tried to keep my mouth closed while sleeping - this is the latest in my efforts. One comment about Jason's YouTube video: I think he misses the most obvious assist in putting it on - I saw it as being similar to the way some women put on a bra; turn it around with the connection facing forward then connect the straps and turn it back around so the foam wedge is under the chin. Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something?
BTW - it is the same price as on Amazon, but cheaper than on eBay.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 am

JimW159 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:43 pm
I just ordered one from the Dr. Dakota website (https://snoringstopbydrdakota.com/) and am looking forward to trying it. I don't know how many things I have tried to keep my mouth closed while sleeping - this is the latest in my efforts. One comment about Jason's YouTube video: I think he misses the most obvious assist in putting it on - I saw it as being similar to the way some women put on a bra; turn it around with the connection facing forward then connect the straps and turn it back around so the foam wedge is under the chin. Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something?
BTW - it is the same price as on Amazon, but cheaper than on eBay.
As I was watching the video I thought exactly the same thing.

My soft cervical collar works very well for me. Before this thread I'd never heard of a firm cervical collar apart from the ones that you use to support a patients head after a possible spinal injury. I can't see those being very good to wear for any length of time.

Bigmike52

Post by Bigmike52 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 am

I took a few socks that had holes and cut them in half and slid onto the Dr. Dakota and then only have to wash the sock. I would hate to pull the foam out of the zippered cover as I am afraid it would shrink and never get it back on.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:06 am

Thanks for this thread. This morning I ordered 'The Eliminator" on Amazon because I can't find a site that ships the Dakota collar to Canada. Looks almost identical. Here's hoping. I use a cervical collar to stop mouth leaks but find it gets so hot ... maybe this will be a solution.

djams

Post by djams » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:43 am

JimW159 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:43 pm
One comment about Jason's YouTube video: I think he misses the most obvious assist in putting it on - I saw it as being similar to the way some women put on a bra; turn it around with the connection facing forward then connect the straps and turn it back around so the foam wedge is under the chin. Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something?
Hope you made this comment on the video. I'm sure he'd really appreciate it!

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:40 am

Last night was third consecutive night using the Dr. Dakota. Once again good sleep and low AHI (0.49). I think the device is definitely helping to keep my airway open and my mouth closed. It is a pleasure to no longer need to use the Chin-Up adhesive strips around my mouth to prevent dry mouth.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 am

Holden4th wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 am
Before this thread I'd never heard of a firm cervical collar apart from the ones that you use to support a patients head after a possible spinal injury. I can't see those being very good to wear for any length of time.
I don't think you read carefully.

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

One of the reasons I use a firm foam cervical collar is the longer life. Firm is also more effective than soft or medium. YMMV.
It's still soft foam. It's just a firmer foam. You know they make foam with different firmness levels? The seat cushions in sofas are firmer foam than the back cushions.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:02 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 am
Holden4th wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 am
Before this thread I'd never heard of a firm cervical collar apart from the ones that you use to support a patients head after a possible spinal injury. I can't see those being very good to wear for any length of time.
I don't think you read carefully.

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

One of the reasons I use a firm foam cervical collar is the longer life. Firm is also more effective than soft or medium. YMMV.
It's still soft foam. It's just a firmer foam. You know they make foam with different firmness levels? The seat cushions in sofas are firmer foam than the back cushions.
Yes, I didn't read it carefully and I'm also pleased that you've clarified that their are different foam densities in soft cervical collars. I'd probably class the one that I use in the 'soft' range and something firmer would definitely suit me. What brand do you use?

Also, I might have a look at the Dr Dakota as all collars here in Australia are like the one I've got.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 am

Holden4th wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:02 am
What brand do you use?
I use DMI - firm, 4-inch, foam. This one - https://www.walmart.com/ip/DMI-Universa ... e/23057188

Usually, there is a deal with no shipping charges. I always keep one in reserve. When one wears out, I can watch for the deals before ordering another reserve collar.

The four-inch width works for me. I recommend newbies start out with 3.5-inch firm. When they reorder, they may want to go up or down one size.

The firm lasts longer, plus it is more effective for me. I am getting many nights with AI = 0 and AHI less than 1.0. And, as mentioned before, the pressure is greatly reduced and so is mouth leaking.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:06 am
Thanks for this thread. This morning I ordered 'The Eliminator" on Amazon because I can't find a site that ships the Dakota collar to Canada. Looks almost identical. Here's hoping. I use a cervical collar to stop mouth leaks but find it gets so hot ... maybe this will be a solution.
Could you be more specific? I went to Amazon and "the eliminator" brought back many things but nothing that seemed similar to the Dr. Dakota device. Searching for "snore eliminator" returned mouth guards only.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:53 am

I've also tried the Rakula Anti Snore Neck Pillow (the trial set with both sizes) and found they collapse much too easily. In my opinion they are too soft.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 am

JimW159 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am
Could you be more specific? I went to Amazon and "the eliminator" brought back many things but nothing that seemed similar to the Dr. Dakota device.
https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Washa ... eep+Pillow