Best machine - Auto/Bi-PAP to run on DC power.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gryphon

Best machine - Auto/Bi-PAP to run on DC power.

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:10 am

Looking to see what recommendations you all had for a machine that can run on a battery without a power waisting inverter.

I'm looking to see if I can get a hold of a Dreamstation by Resperonics. I thought this would be good for use on my backup battery at home. I have a very large deep cycle marine battery and, I have an old Resperonics machine now... but it's normal CPAP and very old and not something that I want to try and rely on even in an emergency. I'd rather get something newer.

Since it's going to be used part-time or as a backup, I'd rather look into the used or second-hand market.

Is my best bet to find a gently used Dreamstation? and then get the 30 dollar DC cord from CPAP.com?

Thanks,

Gryphon

Pugsy

Re: Best machine - Auto/Bi-PAP to run on DC power.

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:33 am

Respironics would be your best bet since they run off 12 volt from the start.

How much are you wanting to spend? I have a PR S1 BiPap Auto model 760 already converted for a heated hose (but you don't have to use a heated hose) that I think I need to move because I need some cash.
I forget the hours on it but maybe 800 to 900...would need to check.
It went out on loan to a family friend and he is blowing it off so I might as well get it back and someone make use of it.
If he ever really gets serious about trying cpap (we were trying to self diagnose) I can get another machine for him.

So if you can't find a suitable DreamStation...keep me in mind.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:30 am

Will do for sure. Thanks for getting back so quickly.

Going back to Respironics breathing algorithms will be odd - but it's only for camping and when my house gets turned into camping because the power fails. Would really be nice if ResMed would redesign their power supply so that direct DC input was an option.

How much is "Average"?

Other than window shopping on our host's site or rolling my eyes at the insane invoices I get from my DME. (Thank God for insurance) I don't have a lot of experience with XPAP costs and pricing.

I'll do some poking around but will definitely give you a holler when I decide to pull the trigger and get this thing.

Thanks!

Gryphon

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:39 am

Gryphon wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:30 am
How much is "Average"?

Average what?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am

Sorry, meant average cost. I was thinking in the 400 dollar range for something gently used but I have no idea. I could be way off.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 am

Gryphon wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am
Sorry, meant average cost. I was thinking in the 400 dollar range for something gently used but I have no idea. I could be way off.
It's going to vary with brand, model, hours, etc and just how bad someone might want to sell something. Like anything else...it's worth what someone will pay for it and someone will accept as enough money. Some products that are in high demand are going to bring more money than another product. It's the way of supply and demand.

You can get an idea a little bit by visiting the secondwindcpap.com website and looking at their prices for their gently used equipment.
Bear in mind that they do offer some warranty even on the used products so that is also a factor.
Private party sales really can't warranty anything.
So I look at secondwind for the upper end retail values for used equipment. Private party sales should usually be less.
Bear in mind that secondwind won't buy (and I assume sell) any used machines with more than 2,000 hours on them and I don't think they bother with keeping a running total of the actual hours used on all their models. They just tell you low hours or gently used and that's that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:29 am

Gryphon wrote:

Going back to Respironics breathing algorithms will be odd - but it's only for camping and when my house gets turned into camping because the power fails. Would really be nice if ResMed would redesign their power supply so that direct DC input was an option.
Just get the resmed DC cord for your machine, and use it... it's *by far* the simplest option, and you don't have to deal with going back to the respironics breathing algos.

Read Capnloki's excellent thread about 'choosing a battery'.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:11 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:29 am
Gryphon wrote:

Just get the resmed DC cord for your machine, and use it... it's *by far* the simplest option, and you don't have to deal with going back to the respironics breathing algos.

Read Capnloki's excellent thread about 'choosing a battery'.
I was going to say the same I have been using my Resmed on a large 12volt battery with the genuine adapter for a week whilst camping worked great.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Ok... I do like that option better.

I was just under the impression that anything but direct DC waisted tons of power. But I'm not trying to prepare for an apocalyptic disaster just a multi day power outage because of storms. And as far as camping. The last trip was such a disaster I doubt I'll be talking my wife into any more camping for quite some time.

Tanks for all the input and offers of help.

Gryphon

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm
I was just under the impression that anything but direct DC waisted tons of power.
The double conversion of an inverter and a power supply wastes a lot of power.

The resmed DC converter is very efficient. (More than 95%, I think I read).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm
Ok... I do like that option better.

I was just under the impression that anything but direct DC waisted tons of power. But I'm not trying to prepare for an apocalyptic disaster just a multi day power outage because of storms. And as far as camping. The last trip was such a disaster I doubt I'll be talking my wife into any more camping for quite some time.
Yes, I would simply get the adapter if you have a "big" battery. An inverter is definite killer but the converter isn't too bad. If you were doing a lot of camping I'd suggest a Respironics because they're more efficient so it would be longer time (or less battery). But for home backup you'll do fine for one night; then you'd want to turn off the humidifier to stretch for a few more nights. If its longer than that you might want to have a genset.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 am

My question is a bit of a deviation from the original topic but I would like to take advantage of the knowledge base thus far.
Living in a part of Florida where storm-related power outages are not uncommon, I am looking for a way of powering my CPAP and O2 during such an outage. The O2 has an existing DC cable that assumes a 12-15v DC source - my ResMed AutoSet, not yet. Query: what to get and how to deal with the logistics.
1) from what I've read thus far, it seems the ResMed converter is preferable - correct? https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... hines.html
2) what type of battery and charger are recommended for in home use. How best to connect the battery to charger and/or CPAP?
3) would it be best to keep the battery in the garage and bring it in only when needed?
4) are there any concerns with using the battery in a house/bedroom that is fairly tightly sealed

I just read in the O2 concentrator manual that it can only be charged from a 12-15v source if the engine of the assumed car is running and in any case, not with any power splitting devices. I assume this precludes connecting both CPAP and O2 at the same time - correct? Does this mean two batteries will be required?

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:33 pm

JimW159 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 am
My question is a bit of a deviation from the original topic but I would like to take advantage of the knowledge base thus far.
Living in a part of Florida where storm-related power outages are not uncommon, I am looking for a way of powering my CPAP and O2 during such an outage. The O2 has an existing DC cable that assumes a 12-15v DC source - my ResMed AutoSet, not yet. Query: what to get and how to deal with the logistics.
1) from what I've read thus far, it seems the ResMed converter is preferable - correct? https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... hines.html
2) what type of battery and charger are recommended for in home use. How best to connect the battery to charger and/or CPAP?
3) would it be best to keep the battery in the garage and bring it in only when needed?
4) are there any concerns with using the battery in a house/bedroom that is fairly tightly sealed

I just read in the O2 concentrator manual that it can only be charged from a 12-15v source if the engine of the assumed car is running and in any case, not with any power splitting devices. I assume this precludes connecting both CPAP and O2 at the same time - correct? Does this mean two batteries will be required?
Full Disclosure - I really don't know anything about O2 systems

1) The ResMed converter is far more efficient than an inverter.
2) Refer to my guide linked in my sig. The basic recommendation is an AGM mobility scooter battery, size U1 (35 amp-hours, 24 lbs, $65). But since you're also powering O2, and may want multi-night coverage you should evaluate the total needs. You may want a 100 amp-hour AGM, about $175. I like the BatteryTender chargers; the small or medium size is enough for a small battery, but if you get a big battery you may want the 5 amp charger.
3,4) AGM batteries are safe for the bedroom. Think of all the elderly folks with scooters charging every night. The were designed originally for jet fighters and only vent gas with extreme overcharging, which is part of the reason I like gentle BatteryTenders.

You'll have to figure out the load of the O2 and then we can figure out the batteries. There is no inherent reason why you can't run several devices (or a whole household) off of one battery bank that is sized appropriately. I will say that most O2 machines I've looked at require a lot of power, so there could be a problem. You might end up getting a small O2 system, or an O2 tank to keep in reserve, or even a whole house genset.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html