CPAP mask straps way too tight!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krr643500

CPAP mask straps way too tight!

Post by krr643500 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 am

Hello everyone!
First the preliminary info:
CPAP: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with Humidifier
Mask: Resmed Airsense 20 Full Face Mask
Pressure setting: 14.0

Heres my issue. Ive been using my CCPAP for five months now and up until a few weeks ago the mask was fitting very comdortably at night. I actually looked forward to sleeping with it because it was so confortable. Then about three weeks ago i noticed i had to begin tightening the straps tighter and tighter to prevent massive leaking. I contated my DME provider and was sent a new facemask. The leaks have stopped bur i still have to keep tge straps so tight it has becone extremely uncomfortable. I wake up now with need groives in my face from the straps. Even with the new mask if i try to loosen the straps the pressure literally lifts the mask off my face creating leakage. I did not have this problem when i started my therapy and Im at a loss as to what to do about this so any advice would be appreciated. Im worried if i have my pressure decreased it will affect my sleep apnea and make it worse but the discomfort i feel with the mask on is becoming intolerable.

Grace and peace to you all,
Kevin R

LSAT

Re: CPAP mask straps way too tight!

Post by LSAT » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:12 am

These masks are not intended to be worn tight. The silicone cushion inflates with the pressure and if you pull it too tight the cushion cannot inflate...that's what makes the seal. Suggest that you have the machine running when you put on the mask so the cushion is inflated as you place it against your face.

Sissy63

Post by Sissy63 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:37 am

Have you lost or gained weight? Did you start using lotion on your face before putting you mask on? Can you think of anything you might be doing differently? Just some thoughts. I know how frustrating it is to get a mask to seal properly. I have only been on 10 weeks and I am on my 7th mask! I think I finally have a winner.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am

Also, be sure to be laying down when you fit your mask.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:28 am

krr643500 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 am
CPAP mask straps way too tight!Quote krr643500
Start troubleshooting by watching some videos. Try the ones by ResMed first. Some of the others are quite good. ------------> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Face+Mask

Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

BTW, you have an excellent auto machine that will adjust to varying pressure needs during the night and from night to night. Is there a particular reason why it is set to just a single pressure?

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:31 pm

Sounds like your straps are to TIGHT. Loosen up some. Let the mask find its best tension point. Don't crank it down til it leaks.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 pm

Did they just send you a new facemask without the straps or did you get the whole thing?

For some dumb reason, Medicare only replaces the straps every 6 months, yet those are the part that tends to wear out quickly. When the straps lose their elasticity, you may find yourself tightening them more and more. A new set of straps is not terribly expensive (compare prices with our hosts, on eBay and Amazon), and may solve the problem if you didn't get to replace the straps.

Most masks have air filled cushions. So that means the cushion cannot fully inflate with air if you pull the straps too tight. That can lead to pressure and leaks. But if the elasticity of the straps is worn out, then you have to tighten to support the mask.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 pm
Did they just send you a new facemask without the straps or did you get the whole thing?

For some dumb reason, Medicare only replaces the straps every 6 months, yet those are the part that tends to wear out quickly.
But, don't they do a whole mask every 3?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

djams

Post by djams » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Janknitz wrote:
For some dumb reason, Medicare only replaces the straps every 6 months, yet those are the part that tends to wear out quickly. When the straps lose their elasticity, you may find yourself tightening them more and more.
Agree! My F20 headgear stretched. A lot. This is after 4 months and 2 washings. It seems to me that the 2nd wash did it in. Have been fighting leaks ever since, and keep tightening more. I'm at the edge of running out of velcro. Cleaned per mfgr instructions, not the washing machine.

I was surprised to see that I could replace for only $31 at cpap.com, was going to order - but instead decided to give a different mask a try.

djams

Post by djams » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:35 pm
Janknitz wrote:

For some dumb reason, Medicare only replaces the straps every 6 months, yet those are the part that tends to wear out quickly.
My insurance (not medicare) is new mask kit every 6 months.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:07 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:35 pm
Depends on the insurance and the DME. Some will give out the whole thing and include the headgear and not expect to get paid for it since most insurance won't pay for headgear except every 6 months because so many insurance go by the Medicare replacement schedule.
Some DMEs simply tell you that your insurance only pays for a whole new mask every 6 months.

Medicare says they pay for a new mask every 3 months and they will....for everything but the headgear and since DMEs always part them out when billing the headgear costs get disallowed. Up to the DME if they want to eat that non allowed headgear or not.
My DME won't...

Kinda stupid IMHO for Medicare to limit the one item that most likely wears out first but no one asked me. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:07 pm
Kinda stupid IMHO for Medicare to limit the one item that most likely wears out first but no one asked me. :lol:
Write them a sternly worded letter!
Mask every year, headgear every 3 months. :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

krr643500

Post by krr643500 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 am

Janknitz wrote:

Most masks have air filled cushions. So that means the cushion cannot fully inflate with air if you pull the straps too tight. That can lead to pressure and leaks. But if the elasticity of the straps is worn out, then you have to tighten to support the mask.
My mask does not have "air filled cusions." It just has a cushion around the edge of the mask for comfort. It does not inflate. Also my straps are not elastic. They simply have velcro adjustments with small magnetic clips.

krr643500

Post by krr643500 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:22 am

djams wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:46 pm
Janknitz wrote:
For some dumb reason, Medicare only replaces the straps every 6 months, yet those are the part that tends to wear out quickly. When the straps lose their elasticity, you may find yourself tightening them more and more.
Agree! My F20 headgear stretched. A lot. This is after 4 months and 2 washings. It seems to me that the 2nd wash did it in. Have been fighting leaks ever since, and keep tightening more. I'm at the edge of running out of velcro. Cleaned per mfgr instructions, not the washing machine.

I was surprised to see that I could replace for only $31 at cpap.com, was going to order - but instead decided to give a different mask a try.
My mask straps are not elastic. They just have velcro adjustments and magnetic snaps.

krr643500

Post by krr643500 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:26 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:28 am
krr643500 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 am
CPAP mask straps way too tight!Quote krr643500
Start troubleshooting by watching some videos. Try the ones by ResMed first. Some of the others are quite good. ------------> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +Face+Mask

Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

BTW, you have an excellent auto machine that will adjust to varying pressure needs during the night and from night to night. Is there a particular reason why it is set to just a single pressure?
I have an 8 foot hose for my machine and it has plenty of slack. Secondly, my pressure setting is constant. It does not vary throughout the night except during a ramo up which i do not use. This waa the setting my doctor prescribed based on my sleep study results. It is not a variable setting as far as i know