Traveling with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
griff0n

Traveling with CPAP

Post by griff0n » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Anyone have any advice about traveling with your cpap machine? Or getting it through the TSA lines? I am taking my first trip with mine, and am worried they won't let me take it on the plane.

zonker

Re: Traveling with CPAP

Post by zonker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 pm

griff0n wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:54 pm
Anyone have any advice about traveling with your cpap machine? Or getting it through the TSA lines? I am taking my first trip with mine, and am worried they won't let me take it on the plane.

don't worry, sir or madam. a cpap is a medical device and they can't disallow you to have it with you. do NOT let them even try to talk you into checking it.

depending on how the TSA feels that day, they may take you aside and rummage through your cpap bag. or they may just wave you through. i've had it happen both ways.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

griff0n

Post by griff0n » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:33 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 pm
griff0n wrote:

don't worry, sir or madam. a cpap is a medical device and they can't disallow you to have it with you. do NOT let them even try to talk you into checking it.

depending on how the TSA feels that day, they may take you aside and rummage through your cpap bag. or they may just wave you through. i've had it happen both ways.

good luck!
So I can take my cpap bag and a duffle bag on at the same time??

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 pm

griff0n wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:33 pm
So I can take my cpap bag and a duffle bag on at the same time??
Yep. It does not count as a carry-on because it's medical equipment.

griff0n

Post by griff0n » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Thank you very much. I am assured!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:05 pm

griff0n wrote:
They see cpaps all day long, every day. they're common.

The cpap, in it's own travel bag, does *NOT* count as a carryon, it's a 'free extra' (so to speak).

now, if you stuff you cpap in another duffel bag full of clothes, that bag does not magically become a freebie... it's just the bag with the cpap and what it needs (like, power supply, maybe an extension cord... etc).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Scluvsrain

Traveling with CPAP

Post by Scluvsrain » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 pm

I’ve traveled several times since I began CPAP therapy earlier this year and had no problem with TSA or the airlines. Waved through. I flew home from Montreal and also had no trouble with Canadian security.

I’m traveling to Europe next week and hope to also just sail through. I’ll be traveling through Stockholm on my way to Amsterdam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:35 am

I took a trip to Mexico last year. Three flights each way.

I put the machine inside a clear plastic bag, and the hose and mask inside a clear plastic bag. Then those bags inside the normal cpap bag. When I got to the security station, I put the cpap bag in its own bin, and just opened the bag so that contents were visible. The plastic bags were so that they could handle them without getting them dirty. But nobody ever bothered to touch them. They saw them and didn't care.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 am

You are within your rights, and I’ve NEVER had them refuse in a dozen or so flights, to request they put on new clean gloves BEFORE touching your machine. In many cases the response has been “we are not going to touch it” and they just peer into the bag and send it through. In a couple others they gladly complied, regloved, moved the machine around in the bag a bit and sent it through. I’ve never had them remove it from the bag. And I’ve never had any grief or pushback on the glove issue at all. They know what the machines are and they’ve always seemed to respect the “personal” nature of it. YMMV of course but my experience has been it’s a non-issue.
And TSA doesn’t care about the number of carry ons - that’s up to the airlines - never had an issue there either. Although, one time I had a gate attendant wisper to me to take a paperback out of the side pocket and carry it in my hand when I boarded so “don’t remember name” doesn’t get pissy about it- LOL

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:01 pm

I've flown with my CPAP numerous times - no problems. They are very common. Apparently there are many members in our club.
When I checked a bag in 3 days ago when I flew, I asked if they wanted to know that I was taking a CPAP as a carry-on. She said 'yes.' I had just read a magazine article which stated the airlines want to know how many medical devices they have on board - it didn't say why - but I told them. Again, no big deal.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Been to Europe, China, and Russia with a CPAP and airport security has never given my machine more than a cursory glance. It is obvious the personnel are very familiar with the machines.

acabgd

Post by acabgd » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:25 am

zorki1c wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 pm
Been to Europe, China, and Russia with a CPAP and airport security has never given my machine more than a cursory glance. It is obvious the personnel are very familiar with the machines.
I can only confirm. Have been to Montenegro, asked by the agent at the airport what it was, said my CPAP machine - she was like "Oh, okay" and waived me through. So even there they do know what it was and it's common.

blacknebula

Post by blacknebula » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am

Canadian security will ask you to remove the motor/blower portion from the bag and put into a plastic bin. No big deal.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 am

zoocrewphoto, thanks for mentioning the clear plastic bags. There was one poster on here a few months bag who was upset about their handling his/her equipment. I'd do this with the mask and hoses.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)