Repairing the stretched-out end of a CPAP hose- how do you do it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PaulKTF

Repairing the stretched-out end of a CPAP hose- how do you do it?

Post by PaulKTF » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:33 pm

So, after about a year the rubber end of my ResMed ClimateLineAir hose has become stretched-out and loose to the point where my CPAP mask keeps slipping out of the hose.

Obviously I can just replace it with a new hose, but if I wanted to repair it what would be the best way to do it?

What kind of tape should I use and where should I apply the tape to make the grip tight again so it will hold the mask in the hose? Thanks.

-Paul.

hobbs

Re: Repairing the stretched-out end of a CPAP hose- how do you do it?

Post by hobbs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Double sided tape?

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:14 pm

hobbs wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:49 pm
Double sided tape?
You mean line the inside of the hose end with the double-sided tape? Hmm okay, that sounds like it would work. :)

-Paul.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:17 pm

When I had this happen I just added a little bit of tape wrapped around the little hose to the mask that goes into the long hose so that it was just a little snugger but not so snug I couldn't unhook the mask from the hose.
Didn't take but a few layers which could easily be removed later once a new hose was available.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm

PaulKTF wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:33 pm
So, after about a year the rubber end of my ResMed ClimateLineAir hose has become stretched-out and loose to the point where my CPAP mask keeps slipping out of the hose.

Obviously I can just replace it with a new hose, but if I wanted to repair it what would be the best way to do it?

What kind of tape should I use and where should I apply the tape to make the grip tight again so it will hold the mask in the hose? Thanks.
It's a simple fix. You can use a variety of things, what I'd recommend is either a rubber band, or some string, or ... stretchy tape.

If you're going to use a rubber band, just put it on the hose end then put the mask on, otherwise, attach the mask, and wrap tape or wrap some string tightly around the hose end.

I had a non-heated hose that did that, I wrapped some string around the end, and it was good for another year or two, till I decided to get a longer hose.

It doesn't have to be too tight to give the hose enough added grip to avoid coming off when you don't want it to.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 pm

For years I have used lightweight automotive hose clamps on both ends of my hose. Gently tightened clamps hold the hose to the mask and machine. All auto supply stores have hose clamps modestly priced, and a clamp never wears out.

TheDuke

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:58 pm

PaulKTF wrote:

Get a roll of this stuff and make a few wraps around the plastic connector where the hose hooks to the mask. Just enough till it fits snug.
As you can see from the numbers of posts, it's been used for a number of CPAP-related things over the years.

search.php?keywords=%22teflon+tape%22

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm

TheDuke wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 pm
For years I have used lightweight automotive hose clamps on both ends of my hose. Gently tightened clamps hold the hose to the mask and machine. All auto supply stores have hose clamps modestly priced, and a clamp never wears out.

TheDuke
that's a good tip! thanks for posting it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Hose clamps are also available at Harbor Freight.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:15 pm

When the end of one of my hoses stretched out, I simply put a small wire tie around it, hooked it to my mask and tightened the wire tie until it was nice and snug. I haven't had any problems with it since then.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:25 pm

PaulKTF wrote:

If you are using the Simplus mask you show in your profile, you shouldn't have that problem' There is a plastic connector that goes into the end of the hose that allows to to "quick connect" to the mask. It is shown in this picture. It should have come with the mask. If you can't find yours, I will see if I can find one.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -face-mask

I can sell you a new Climateline hose for your Airsense 10 for $20.
Last edited by LSAT on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:31 pm

LSAT wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:25 pm
PaulKTF wrote:

If you are using the Simplus mask you show in your profile, you shouldn't have that problem' There is a plastic connector that goes into the end of the hose that allows to to "quick connect" to the mask. It is shown in this picture. It should have come with the mask. If you can't find yours, I will send you one.
The ends of the hose lose their elasticity, it's happened to me on the one climateline hose I've got... doesn't matter if there's a connector to put in there, unless you're going to glue it in place.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:36 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:31 pm
LSAT wrote:
PaulKTF wrote:

If you are using the Simplus mask you show in your profile, you shouldn't have that problem' There is a plastic connector that goes into the end of the hose that allows to to "quick connect" to the mask. It is shown in this picture. It should have come with the mask. If you can't find yours, I will send you one.
The ends of the hose lose their elasticity, it's happened to me on the one climateline hose I've got... doesn't matter if there's a connector to put in there, unless you're going to glue it in place.
You are wrong for the 2nd time this year PR. I have been using mine for a year and it's never come lose from the hose. It's tough to get out even if I wanted it out.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 pm

LSAT wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:36 pm
You are wrong for the 2nd time this year PR. I have been using mine for a year and it's never come lose from the hose. It's tough to get out even if I wanted it out.
You're welcome to think that I'm wrong, but when the hose loses it's grip, it's not going to hold on to any mask, or mask adapter.

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 am

LSAT wrote:
PaulKTF wrote:

If you are using the Simplus mask you show in your profile, you shouldn't have that problem' There is a plastic connector that goes into the end of the hose that allows to to "quick connect" to the mask. It is shown in this picture. It should have come with the mask. If you can't find yours, I will see if I can find one.

I can sell you a new Climateline hose for your Airsense 10 for $20.
The Simplus mask Quick Disconnect part has nothing to it that would prevent the hose end from becoming loose- it's just a piece of plastic that lets you quickly disconnect the mask from the hose. It goes right into the end of the hose and the rubber will eventually stretch and distort over time so that it won't hold the Quick Disconnect/mask snuggly in the hose anymore.

Yours hasn't yet, but it probably will eventually. It's a just what happens with the rubber over time.

Someone on the ApneaBoard forums suggested I just put a rubber band around the rubber end of the hose (to make it more snug) and that seems so simple it just might work! :)

-Paul.