Would like info on VirtuClean CPAP cleaner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
moondoggy

Would like info on VirtuClean CPAP cleaner

Post by moondoggy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm

I recently asked my DME about the SClean CPAP cleaner as I was skeptical over whether it really works or not. He said that it does but he recommends the VirtuClean device instead. If you have a VirtuClean can you provide any feedback on your experience with using this device to clean both the Mask, tubing and water/heating chamber of your CPAP machine? I read somewhere that Ozone can be dangerous to your health and breathing and would like feedback on using this device in a safe manner. I've also heard that using any OZone cleaner will cause the mask to have an odor. Is this true? If yes, do you have any advice on how to get rid of the smell? Since I'm coming at this from a zero knowledge basis any information or insight will be greatly appreciated.

palerider

Re: Would like info on VirtuClean CPAP cleaner

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:16 pm

moondoggy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm
I recently asked my DME about the SClean CPAP cleaner as I was skeptical over whether it really works or not. He said that it does but he recommends the VirtuClean device instead. If you have a VirtuClean can you provide any feedback on your experience with using this device to clean both the Mask, tubing and water/heating chamber of your CPAP machine? I read somewhere that Ozone can be dangerous to your health and breathing and would like feedback on using this device in a safe manner. I've also heard that using any OZone cleaner will cause the mask to have an odor. Is this true? If yes, do you have any advice on how to get rid of the smell? Since I'm coming at this from a zero knowledge basis any information or insight will be greatly appreciated.
Why in the world would you ask your DME anything? they're terminally ignorant, and when they're not ignorant, they lie.

If they ever get anything right, it seems it's an accident.

Soclean: viewtopic/t157842/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... 9#p1210375

Doesn't work, doesn't clean anything, may be harmful to the cpap, hose and mask, and maybe your health.

Can't see the other thing being any better.

Add to that, the fact that NONE OF THOSE THINGS ARE NECESSARY, or recommended by the manufacturers.

Save your money.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Not even the Lumin device, sold by cpap.com, sponsors of this forum,
is recommended by any manufacturer.
Both Virtuclean and Soclean use ozone, which is hazardous in even nearly effective amounts.
On the other hand, the Lumin uses UV light, which is the agent used in many hearing
aid conditioners/sanitizers. (which I have used for years)
If I were to use any cpap-cleaner device IN ADDITION TO regular cleaning--it would be the Lumin.
But I don't feel the need.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:25 pm

moondoggy wrote:
Since I'm coming at this from a zero knowledge basis any information or insight will be greatly appreciated.
This subject usually prompts a wide range of responses. Here's mine:

I've been ususing my ResMed machine for 6 years. I use distilled water in my humidifier, therefore have never found any guck in the tank to clean out. I'm breathing filtered room air through the hose. Never seen a reason to wash it. (Washing it guarantees you'll eventually get some mold in it. I don't want that.) I use fragrant-free baby wipes most mornings to get the slobber out of the mask. The wipes are cheep. I wash the full-face mask and cushion in hot soapy water once every month or two. Change the machine's filter every couple of months or so. That's it!

Doing anything else is unnecessary from a cleanliness stand point. Think of Occam's Razor. Doing anything else is likely to ADD contaminates to the system. Seriously.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:35 pm

moondoggy wrote:
Hello moondoggy,
I am one of the few here who own and use a SoClean and like it and am thus, vilified. Just watch the fur fly after this post.

I live in a high moisture environment, where pink slime and mold grow easily. I use the SoClean to kill that gunk but I also use CPAP wipes to clean the oils and slobber from the mask. SoClean is more of a sanitizer than a cleaner.

To answer your question, any odor on the mask is temporary; it blows off with the air flow. Just run the machine for a minute or two before putting it on your face to blow out any remaining oxidation odor. Any ozone remaining in the system reverts back to oxygen in the two hour waiting period before the machine cycle is complete.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:48 am

There is nothing to sanitize on or in the machine. Nothing. And in any case, what would be the point? Your room air is not sanitized, nor is anything you bring to your end of the machine (mask, etc). What a waste of time... at best a placebo effect that makes you feel you're doing something useful, at worst a flagrant waste of money.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:09 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:48 am
There is nothing to sanitize on or in the machine. Nothing. And in any case, what would be the point? Your room air is not sanitized, nor is anything you bring to your end of the machine (mask, etc). What a waste of time... at best a placebo effect that makes you feel you're doing something useful, at worst a flagrant waste of money.
Really? Nothing to sanitize? Tell that to SewTired viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171746&p=1255013&hi ... e#p1255013

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am

Sorry, did not express that well at all! But in any case, while 90% of us get pink slime in our tanks and then get rid of it with Q-tips, ozone machines are not needed for that (or anything else).

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:35 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am
Sorry, did not express that well at all! But in any case, while 90% of us get pink slime in our tanks and then get rid of it with Q-tips, ozone machines are not needed for that (or anything else).
I use distilled water and get occasional clear slime that easily wipes out.

I know at a former house, before my using CPAP, when we went from well water to the county system we had pink slime from their water treatment. I occasionally use bottled water in CPAP but would hesitate to use water from a water system. Well water would depend on each individual case.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:51 am

MrsRinPDX wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:09 am
Julie wrote:
Really? Nothing to sanitize? Tell that to SewTired viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171746&p=1255013&hi ... e#p1255013
When I clicked on the link you provided, I got this message: "No post exists inside this topic for the selected time frame."

Can you provide a brief summary of what it says?

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 am

wardmiller wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:51 am
MrsRinPDX wrote:
Julie wrote:
When I clicked on the link you provided, I got this message: "No post exists inside this topic for the selected time frame."

Can you provide a brief summary of what it says?
Re: Changing water
Post by SewTired » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Most of the year, I top off for 1 week to 10 days, then dump and wash out the humidifer. In the summer, I wash more frequently and let bin dry because of the influx of pink slime. Probably doesn't hurt me in the least, but has an eww reaction.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:01 am

I can't imagine where the "pink slime" is coming from. The air coming out of the hose is room air that has passed over distilled water. Either the room air is not clean, or the distilled water is not clean. I would try to correct that first.

In the six years i''ve been using my machine, I have not seen any slime in the humidifier tank.

Referring back to OP, I would recommend not doing any extraordinary "sanitizing" until an actual problem appears.

moondoggy

Post by moondoggy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks for the replies. I think the issue of residual ozone scares me a bit.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am

MrsRinPDX wrote:
Julie wrote:
sewtired is an account that spews bad advice and misinformation, more often wrong than right.

We all know that you desperately cling to the "my soclean must do something good, I paid a lot of money for it" idea, without even a shred of factual evidence.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am

wardmiller wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:01 am
I can't imagine where the "pink slime" is coming from.
It comes from the air, it's a common bacteria floating around.