Necessary to have a backup machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 pm

Most work insurance companies up in my neck of the woods replace CPAP machines every 5 years. Have any of the long term users here experienced a CPAP failure that put your machine out of commission?

My machine is new but I do wonder if it makes sense for me to buy a lightly used one from Craigslist as a backup. They seem to sell for about $500-$700 CAD. They can sell for even more if it has extremely low hours on it.

I would presume that modern electronics are pretty robust and have a good reliability track record as compared to units from say... 20 years ago.

Also what is deemed low hours? To me low hours I believe would be less than 100. Is that a reasonable expectation?

Last edited by CPAPSteve on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Re: Necessary to have a backup machine?

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:43 pm

CPAPSteve wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 pm
Most work insurance companies up in my neck of the woods replace CPAP machines every 5 years. Have any of the long term users here experienced a CPAP failure that put your machine out of commission?

My machine is new but I do wonder if it makes sense for me to buy a lightly used one from Craigslist as a backup. They seem to sell for about $500-$700 CAD. They can sell for even more if it has extremely low hours on it.

I would presume that modern electronics are pretty robust and have a good reliability track record as compared to units from day... 20 years ago.

Also what is deemed low hours? To me low hours I believe would be less than 100. Is that a reasonable expectation?
Didn't you ask this same thing earlier?

Or just something very similar...

Oh, and more like 500-1000. figure 8 hours a night, 5 years, 365.25 days a year... 500-1000 is a small number.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:06 am

Low hours to me is anything under 1K hours.
Under 100 hours and I consider it practically new. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:22 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:43 pm
CPAPSteve wrote:

I would presume that modern electronics are pretty robust and have a good reliability track record as compared to units from day... 20 years ago.

Oh, and more like 500-1000. figure 8 hours a night, 5 years, 365.25 days a year... 500-1000 is a small number.
PR - no I didn’t ask this question before. It just dawned on me today because I was browsing the local craigslist equivalent in my town and I came across a complete CPAP for really cheap with just 26 hours on it and though man that is low hours and worth getting as a spare.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 am

CPAPSteve wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:22 am
palerider wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:43 pm
CPAPSteve wrote:

PR - no I didn’t ask this question before. It just dawned on me today because I was browsing the local craigslist equivalent in my town and I came across a complete CPAP for really cheap with just 26 hours on it and though man that is low hours and worth getting as a spare.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=172587&p=1263632&hi ... e#p1263632 <- that's what I was thinking of... not necessarily "spare" machines, though it was touched on in the thread.

I frequently say everybody should have a spare of *everything*... including the machine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 am

If finances are a big issue, I wouldn't get a spare. Chances are, after year five, or close to it, you can get a new machine... then keep the one you are currently using as your back up. If you can spare the money (or wait until you can), then I'd go to a place similar to second wind.com and get one with low hours on it.

It's like insurance, you pay for years, but when it's there... you are glad to have it.

Clear as mud? :mrgreen:

Sheriff

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:11 am

The answer may depend on your finances, your personal definition of "necessary," the severity of your condition, and your overall way of thinking. CPAP machines are highly reliable. But for some of us, our condition is severe enough to make the principle of redundancy a necessary consideration because we consider the machine to be absolutely mission critical. The backup machine can double as a travel machine. Travel machines, in theory, may be at higher risk for damage or loss on the road. So there can be greater peace of mind during travel just knowing that a complete system is safe at home next to the bed.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:01 am

In 2016, the machine that I got in 2009 broke and was not usable. Fortunately, I had I the old machine from 2005, which was still in working order. This was good, as it took me several weeks to get a new machine.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:14 am

I have two identical ResMed APAP Machines that are about 2-3 years old each. I did not expect to buy a second machine, but a great "Black Friday" deal came up two years ago and I grabbed it. I switch the machines from active to spare on occasion, but I really keep the second one stored in its travel bag along with a duplicate mask for emergencies (my wife can just grab the spare bag and go) and I also use it as my travel machine. When I return home from a trip I switch the active/spare arrangement so the hours on both are about the same. After having this arrangement for awhile now I would always want a separate spare identical machine. I will add that I think having two identical machines is preferred to having a primary machine and a second machine that is a different brand or model. Having different primary and spare machines could cause issues in emergency situations (for example, remembering how to program a secondary machine). I actually have a third CPAP (not APAP) machine from a cheap China company and I know that due to its 1990's User Interface that I could not reprogram it unless I was really on my toes (not sick in the hospital).

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 am

CPAPSteve wrote:

I would presume that modern electronics are pretty robust and have a good reliability track record as compared to units from say... 20 years ago.

Seems a bit pricey. I got mine "Airsense 10 Autoset for Her" new at $805 CAD with free shipping from an online Canadian CPAP dealer, CPAP Outlet Canada. Papsmart is even cheaper (plus their discount codes)...read that someone from Calgary got either the Autoset ofr Autoset for Her for less than $600 CAD after using the discount code.

Dave

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 am

I wasn’t even thinking of getting a spare because my machine is new and my condition is hardly bad. What prompted me to look at a unit was because of the super cheap unit on our local classified that caught my attention. Got me thinking if it makes sense to get one even though I don’t need one yet. Failures will happen but it is a question of “when”.

@ David - yeah I have seen new units go for about $800 ish from Canadian retailers but I swear in Calgary they sell for for used for nearly that price at times. Our DMEs here sell these units to the public that have no insurance for $2k plus $400 for a ffm. It is extortion IMHO.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:56 am

I support having a backup machine. That said, if your DME provides rentals, find out about availability and price. The other option is to simply have a copy of your prescription on hand and ready to fax or email to cpap.com or secondwind.com. They can overnight a machine. Once you get your second machine in about 5 years, then your old machine can become your backup.

It just takes sloshing some water or dropping your unit to immediately need a backup. Or, as in my case, hospitalized - I keep the backup ready to go so another family member can just pick up the case and not worry about forgetting some part that is crucial to its operation.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:01 am

Do you drive your vehicle without a spare tire?
You may never need it, but if you do, it's there.
I've read too many horror stories on the forum to push my luck that much.
Murphy's Laws apply to this therapy, too. If something breaks, it's usually at the worst possible time.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 am

I got a backup machine just for the peace of mind.

-Paul.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:03 pm

CPAPSteve wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 am
I wasn’t even thinking of getting a spare because my machine is new and my condition is hardly bad. What prompted me to look at a unit was because of the super cheap unit on our local classified that caught my attention. Got me thinking if it makes sense to get one even though I don’t need one yet. Failures will happen but it is a question of “when”.

@ David - yeah I have seen new units go for about $800 ish from Canadian retailers but I swear in Calgary they sell for for used for nearly that price at times. Our DMEs here sell these units to the public that have no insurance for $2k plus $400 for a ffm. It is extortion IMHO.
We need a system like the one in Ontario where there are price limitations if you are resident of that province. I think that the price on autosets is limited to just over $1000 CAD. Fixed ones are little lower.

My sleep clinic/DME charged $2500 for my main unit ($2175 for APAP and $325 for a mask). Luckily, my insurer covered it all....plus $325 every 6 months for a mask. 5 years between APAP units. What a ripjob! $805 for was for an APAP and slimline hose, no mask.

Dave