When To Consider a New Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
2Tim215

When To Consider a New Machine

Post by 2Tim215 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:25 am

I am wondering when most longtime CPAP users consider replacing your "old" machine?

My Resmed S9 has 18539 hours on it. I am past my 5 year time requirement and wondering if I should upgrade before a failure.

A few questions.

What is a average lifespan for the S9?

Has technology surpassed the S9 enough to upgrade now?

Should I upgrade before a failure?

Thank you for all replies...

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
S9 AutoSet 4cm-12cm

kteague

Re: When To Consider a New Machine

Post by kteague » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 am

Some insurances require the current machine to be unusable before they will replace it. Check with your insurance. If it is financially to your advantage and you are eligible, you could let them give you a new machine and keep the S9 as a backup. Or you could pick up a dirt cheap used one for backup and cross the insurance bridge when it becomes necessary. Whatever works for you. However, after reading your other thread, it might be best you hold off until you've worked through your other questions. It might turn out that some other type of machine is preferred for your particular lung issues and the doctor would order an appropriate machine.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm

If you don't have a backup and you have to use a CPAP device every night (and have the financial means through insurance or self funded), then I recommend that you get a new APAP device. Your existing one becomes your backup. Based on others here, the current Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has the same algorithm as the S9 Autoset. If you are happy with the S9 Autoset, then the Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her would make an excellent new main device.

I have both the Autoset and Autoset for Her (backup).

Dave

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm

As it can take months to process to get a new machine, I'd start now.

According to some repair people I talked to, Resmed and Philips machines have an increase in repair when they have had about 7 years of full time use. This is when major parts start breaking, which makes it often cheaper to replace than repair. So, at your 18000+, you are pretty much there. Keep your old machine as a backup and run it a couple nights periodically.

My brother's old Philips machine was just shy of 19,000 hours when he received his replacement 560 bipap. Lincare provides a backup machine only if you are still completing compliance. They don't do rentals. Our new DME has used machines set aside just for these instances, but their supply is pretty limited and you have to drive to that central location to pick it up.

FWIW, a lot of people continue to get the S9 machines. They are easily available, but realize that Resmed is no longer producing parts for them. Eventually, they will run out of computer boards and such. Don't know if heated hoses are still in production.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Note: if you are on the cusp of going onto Medicare, your current machine does not matter
--except that you are using it, you are benefitting from it,
and your doctor notes that in the face to face visit you need very soon after starting Medicare.
Most machines will eventually get noisier with age--often after several hours of quiet.
For some patients, that noise can interfere with sleep.
But it is hard to confirm in a repair shop. :mrgreen: