Which mask to ask for?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MistRiver

Re: Which mask to ask for?

Post by MistRiver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 pm

I just found out that generally my insurance doesn't cover cpap unless your AHI number is above 15 or above 5 and you score really high on the daytime sleepiness (lucky me that I do I guess). That seems crazy to me. Wouldn't an AHI of 15 still potentially cause some serious health problems?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 pm

MistRiver wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 pm
Wouldn't an AHI of 15 still potentially cause some serious health problems?
Absolutely.

Crappy insurance.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:17 pm

The INNOMED Hybrid mask. Hands down.

Get a clinician to fit/adjust it the first few times you wear it. Then it fits like a glove.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

David R

Post by David R » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm a noob so take this with a grain of salt.

We're a lot alike in some respects. I have 5 kids, almost no money, and I have panic attacks. The most expensive part of sleep apnea for me is missing days or half days of work due to not sleeping plus the lower energy and productivity for a bad nights sleep. I've been on a CPAP machine for 4.5 years, but just this week got an APAP machine which i'm hoping helps a lot.

I too struggled with a dry mouth, so dry that my mouth sticks together, despite humidity setting on max. And I'd have to get up before I was done sleeping to refill the humidifier. What I found was that the dry mouth was due to mouth breathing. I started taping my mouth shut and that stopped the dry mouth and having to refill the reservoir. Mouth taping can trigger the dreaded panic attack. What I did/do is use some relaxation techniques, I also employ some techniques to help clear the nasal airway, and I use a plastic nasal dilator to open up my airway and allow more air through my nasal passage. I'm experimenting with chin straps now to eliminate the mouth taping but the first one I tried is too bulky and uncomfortable. This is what works relatively well for me. Whether it would work for you I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend you do it, but if all else fails you might try it if you like.

Another thing I do is use a sleeping eye mask and it serves 2 functions. 1, block out ambient light and 2. Helps my full face mask to seal around my nose a little better. This might not work since you are claustrophobic. I put the eye mask on first, then feel around for the cpap mask and put it right over top. I use a fabric mask with the eyes a little cupped.

Also, it's not recommended to have the mask that's not tightly sealed, but when I started, I wore the mask looser with some leaking. At least it let me wear the mask like that and not freak out. Now I can wear it tighter and fully sealed.

Anyway, good luck getting used to the new machine and mask.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 am

This is the mask I wear 99% of the time. My favorite & I have 5 different masks. A Dreamwear Nasal Cushion Mask. Air tube attaches to the top of headgear on top of your head so it's not in the way. And just a cushion under your nose. Nothing going into your nose...

12872.png
12872.png (24.15 KiB) Viewed 279 times
10206.png
10206.png (29.41 KiB) Viewed 279 times