Which mask to ask for?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MistRiver

Which mask to ask for?

Post by MistRiver » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 pm

I went to my second overnight at the sleep clinic so they can titrate me before giving me a machine and mask. I have horrible anxiety around breathing and constant post nasal drip so it was hard to use a mask all night. When it came down to it I tried to use the F&P Simplus as it was the only I could keep on without panicking (and only if the feature to have lower pressure while exhaling was on.) But when I went to actually use it for sleep I felt super claustrophobic. I ended up being able to use the F&P Eson 2 for a couple hours and it was actually pretty comfortable but after that my nostrils felt dried out and too congested so it felt like I couldn't breath again. The machine did have a built in humidifier but I'd never have guessed based on how dry both my nose and mouth got. I had to keep wetting my mouth because it was sticking together inside. I tried for an hour and a half to put it back on and lay down but it just wasn't happening. Then I tried the Simplus again and this time was able to keep it on the rest of the night with a few instances of having to calm myself down after I'd wake up feeling panicky. The reason I don't just pick the simplus and try to get used to it is when I started falling asleep and my head would relax a little more into the pillow (side sleeping) I would develop big leaks. In order to stop the leaks I had to have it on really tight. This made the mask dig into my cheekbones and gave me a headache. The Eson was far more comfortable and I did fine till I felt congested, then the Simplus worked way better as far as feeling like I could breathe but it was pretty uncomfortable digging into me. They had me try on four masks I think. I go back in on wed to pick up my machine and mask and they want to know which one I want. I have no idea which way to go. If the Eson dries me out then I won't be able to wear it all night, but I'm not sure I'd be able to wear the Simplus all night with it digging either. I have six kids and no money so I can't just buy the other one, or try different brands either. I'd love some advice from the seasoned people on here, or just anyone who knows more than me (which is likely near everyone).

My other question is the lady at the sleep clinic said she turned on a feature that makes the pressure lower when exhaling which I thought was an apap? But she said it's like a mini apap in the cpap. What does that even mean? If I get a machine with the apap type feature does that mean I'm likely to get a machine that records the data?

Edited to add. I'd like to try the Airfit f20 to see if it's more comfortable. Does anyone know if there is somewhere you can make payments on masks?

Thank you!

MrsRinPDX

Re: Which mask to ask for?

Post by MrsRinPDX » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Hello MistRiver,

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already done so, please read the Sticky: Newbies PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING at the top of the page by Pugsy. viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

It's hard to tell if your nasal and mouth dryness is caused by anxiety or the machine humidifier not being turned up enough. I personally have my machine humidifier at the highest setting AND I keep a room humidifier going in the room I am sleeping in. Both air conditioning and heating can dry out a room. I monitor this with a bedside humidity gauge, available for about $10 on Amazon. I know it's overkill but it works for me.

As to the masks, I would stick with what is most comfortable, which sounds like the F&P Eson 2, because ultimately, you're not going to use a mask that isn't tolerable. I use a Airfit F20 Full Face Mask and it takes up a good share of your face; I don't see that as an improvement for someone who is claustrophobic. I would also check with your machine and mask equipment supplier (also known as a DME), as it is common practice for them to allow a grace period (30 days for example) to exchange masks until you find one that works for you. If not, check with the sponsor of this forum, CPAP.com . They have return insurance where you can return a mask and I believe they offer financing as well.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me will add to this post. Just remember that you are not alone.
Best wishes in your journey,

MrsRinPDX

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:51 am

MistRiver wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 pm
...lady at the sleep clinic said she turned on a feature that makes the pressure lower when exhaling which I thought was an apap? But she said it's like a mini apap in the cpap. What does that even mean? If I get a machine with the apap type feature does that mean I'm likely to get a machine that records the data?...I'd like to try the Airfit f20 to see if it's more comfortable. Does anyone know if there is somewhere you can make payments on masks?
A CPAP device blows one continuous pressure. An APAP varies pressure based on a person's last 5 breaths in order to abort what it detects as an upcoming hypopnea or apnea event; the pressure varies within a set range.

The feature is on all today's CPAP and APAP devices. It has various names, but it's function is to drop the pressure during exhalation by 1, 2, or 3 points of pressure. Generically, it's called exhalation pressure relief.

You can buy masks and mask return insurance from our host https://www.cpap.com//
If you're are a mouth breather, you might try a hybrid style full-face mask. click on my mask's name in my signature to see the one I use.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Bigmike52

Post by Bigmike52 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:04 am

Hello MistRiver and welcome to the forum. The advise above is good advise. Getting a correct fitting mask is one of the hardest parts of adapting to sleep apnea. It's so important to make sure you have a good DME (durable medical equipment provider) Their job is to properly fit you with a mask you can live with. It isn't enough to be sitting up in a chair but ask to lay down and toss and turn to see if it will leak excessively. It was suggested to go to the sponsor of this forum. www.cpap.com They are an excellent source of not only mask purchases, but a good source to learn of the different style of masks. You have sampled a full face and a nasal mask. By clicking on to each mask you are interested in, you will get great instructions on wearing and cleaning your mask, as well as the popularity of that mask. They do finance, accept 30 day returns, and in some cases pay the freight charges on returns.

Please let us know what equipment your sleep doctor recommended. You want to make certain your new equipment is data capable as there are free sources of software you can download for others to help you through your new journey. I would recommend the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset with Humidifier. It is the best selling machine available (IMHO) They also have the AirSense 10 for her, which offers a more gentle increase in pressure reacting to hypopnia's to stop from becoming apneas. I am presently using a Dreamstation, but I feel it is a distant second to the Resmed machine. I am certain other more knowledgeable members will suggest this as well.

The last thing I would suggest is to ask your doctor for a copy of your sleep study as well as your prescription. Under Hipaa law you are entitled to it in the USA.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 am

Apap machines can also be set to a plain Cpap mode, but Cpap machines won't do Apap, so it makes sense to get an auto and have the set pressure option (as most people do these days).

Another thing is that a lot of people write in saying they feel congested, but also that they're using the humidifier at a high setting, and don't connect that humidification with the congestion and/or cold-like symptoms, but if you're in a fairly humid location, or at least humid season, adding more hum. can be a mistake, and some people don't need it at all. Obviously if your local climate is dry and you find the hum. helpful when sleeping, that's great, but don't feel you 'have' to use it (as mandatory therapy) if you don't need it, or if a lower setting might be all you need - sometimes changing with seasons.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:03 am

Julie wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 am
Apap machines can also be set to a plain Cpap mode, but Cpap machines won't do Apap, so it makes sense to get an auto and have the set pressure option (as most people do these days).

Another thing is that a lot of people write in saying they feel congested, but also that they're using the humidifier at a high setting, and don't connect that humidification with the congestion and/or cold-like symptoms, but if you're in a fairly humid location, or at least humid season, adding more hum. can be a mistake, and some people don't need it at all. Obviously if your local climate is dry and you find the hum. helpful when sleeping, that's great, but don't feel you 'have' to use it (as mandatory therapy) if you don't need it, or if a lower setting might be all you need - sometimes changing with seasons.
Excellent point and one I failed to make. Thank you.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

MistRiver

Post by MistRiver » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Thank you everyone for helping out.
Julie wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 am

I've actually had problems being congested most of the time for a while no matter what. I live in Oregon so in theory the humidity is higher. I think the humidifier was on at the clinic but I couldn't tell. I assume you can vary the humidity so maybe it was just turned down. I'm hoping it will be better when I can play with it on my own. I didn't notice near the dried out feeling with the full face mask though, just the nose one. I'm wondering too if my normal sinus issues were just dried out from the air blowing.
Bigmike52 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:04 am

Please let us know what equipment your sleep doctor recommended. You want to make certain your new equipment is data capable as there are free sources of software you can download for others to help you through your new journey. I would recommend the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset with Humidifier. It is the best selling machine available (IMHO) They also have the AirSense 10 for her, which offers a more gentle increase in pressure reacting to hypopnia's to stop from becoming apneas. I am presently using a Dreamstation, but I feel it is a distant second to the Resmed machine. I am certain other more knowledgeable members will suggest this as well.

The last thing I would suggest is to ask your doctor for a copy of your sleep study as well as your prescription. Under Hipaa law you are entitled to it in the USA.
He hasn't told me anything at all. It's been a bit abrupt. He just had me come back in, told me I had mild apnea but my oxygen was getting down to 82% then he went on to the next patient. It was all of five seconds. They had me schedule to come in for titration (that was this wed night) then I go back in on this next wed to talk to him. Other than that I have no idea. The impression I got was I had to pick out of the four masks they had at the clinic. The nurse lady also said what machine I get just depends on the doctor as each has the one they like to give. I assumed this meant they would just hand me the one I have to have when I get there? I have state insurance so I'm not sure if that is why. I'd like to know how I'd advocate for myself in this situation if I really should have some sort of choice beyond what they are selling so they get to choose. I'll definitely remember to ask for a copy when I go in this week since he told me almost nothing.

Muse-Inc wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:51 am

The feature is on all today's CPAP and APAP devices. It has various names, but it's function is to drop the pressure during exhalation by 1, 2, or 3 points of pressure. Generically, it's called exhalation pressure relief.
That's what it must have been. It made it so much better for feeling like I could breathe. Thank you for the suggestion on the mask. I'll look at they hybrids too.
MrsRinPDX wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 pm

It's hard to tell if your nasal and mouth dryness is caused by anxiety or the machine humidifier not being turned up enough. I personally have my machine humidifier at the highest setting AND I keep a room humidifier going in the room I am sleeping in. Both air conditioning and heating can dry out a room. I monitor this with a bedside humidity gauge, available for about $10 on Amazon. I know it's overkill but it works for me.

As to the masks, I would stick with what is most comfortable, which sounds like the F&P Eson 2, because ultimately, you're not going to use a mask that isn't tolerable. I use a Airfit F20 Full Face Mask and it takes up a good share of your face; I don't see that as an improvement for someone who is claustrophobic. I would also check with your machine and mask equipment supplier (also known as a DME), as it is common practice for them to allow a grace period (30 days for example) to exchange masks until you find one that works for you. If not, check with the sponsor of this forum, CPAP.com . They have return insurance where you can return a mask and I believe they offer financing as well.

MrsRinPDX
I didn't even think about it being from anxiety. When I get my machine I will try higher humidity and hope that helps. I was fine with the eson 2 at first but after I woke up I really couldn't even tolerate trying to put it back on for more than a split second. I was able to at least calm myself down and try again with the face mask there in the middle so I was hoping that would mean I could adapt to it easier. I was thinking the airfit because I was hoping to try something like the mask I had but with out the horrible pressure points. After 3 hours of wearing it it took me most of the morning not to be sore. I'll look into the cpap.com and see if I can qualify for their financing. Thank you for all your advice.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 pm

You want less (if any at all) humidity where you are, but you're likely drying out from mouth breathing, which is helped (usually) by a full face mask allowing your mouth to open but not lose Cpap air that way, and/or a couple of other fixes. You do control the hum. on your own machine so don't worry about that now. I personally (way out on E. coast near water) almost never use it at all, or only on a very low setting which I also control. You'll see... :D

MistRiver

Post by MistRiver » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Thank Julie.

I think what I’ll do is have them give me the Eson if I only have to pick from theirs and then buy the f20 from cpap.com on payments so that I can have either depending on what I need in the given moment. It’s a theory anyway.

Stom

Post by Stom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:54 am

Mask fit is very personal, so there is really no telling what mask will work best for you going forward. If you have to buy a mask on your own dime because the DME provided mask isn't working well for you, use a company like "Vendor #1" (forum rules prohibit linking direct to them, but you can look up the vendor list on the forum) which has "return insurance" so you can return a mask that doesn't work for you and try a different model- check the vendor for details.

For me, the nasal pillows masks are the least claustrophobic and best for nasal congestion. But they also dry out my nostrils and the pressure from the mask straps hurts my nose. The original Dreamwear mask (the "nasal cushion" version that sits under your nose with one hole, not the pillows version with two mushroom shaped pillows) has been the best compromise, and the most comfortable mask.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:49 am

Stom wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:54 am
use a company like "Vendor #1" (forum rules prohibit linking direct to them, but you can look up the vendor list on the forum)
Wrong forum rules. We don't have those rules here. That's the apneaboard rules about posting links.
Here we just post the link...and in this case I assume you were referring to cpap.com and they are happy when we post their links because they foot the bill for this forum so we don't have to be annoyed by a bunch of ads all over the place.

https://www.cpap.com//

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Stom

Post by Stom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:08 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:49 am
Wrong forum rules. We don't have those rules here. That's the apneaboard rules about posting links.
Here we just post the link...and in this case I assume you were referring to cpap.com and they are happy when we post their links because they foot the bill for this forum so we don't have to be annoyed by a bunch of ads all over the place.

https://www.cpap.com//
Thanks. I lost track of which forum I was posting too. Unfortunately they both have a light blue theme (well, theirs has more teil in it...) and I just wasn't paying enough attention :-)

The no commercial links on the other site is somewhat understandable given the problems sites can have with comment spam, but it's also a bit over the top.

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 am

A reasonable expectation is that, unless you are lucky, you will need to try two or more masks until you find the one that suits you best. So, just pick one and get started and if it doesn't work out, try another.

I took advantage of CPAP.com's mask insurance that covered a mask return if I didn't like it. I went through four different masks until I found the one that worked best for me. And the mask that works best for me may not work at all for you. Like shoes and underwear, the choice of xPAP mask can be highly subjective and personal.

Good luck with it!
-JD
If you're not having a good time, *DO* something about it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:17 am

Stom wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:08 am
Thanks. I lost track of which forum I was posting too. Unfortunately they both have a light blue theme (well, theirs has more teil in it...) and I just wasn't paying enough attention :-)
Seriously? Good thing to keep in mind when evaluating your 'advice' to people.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Stom

Post by Stom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:17 am
Seriously? Good thing to keep in mind when evaluating your 'advice' to people.
Really? You are trying to use my forthright mea culpa to attack me?

Let's break down your vague attack down to what matters: Other than my already admitted error about which of two very similar forums I posted to, do you actually claim anything in my post about masks is incorrect? If not your post is just an empty and gratuitous personal attack.

SMH